SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sloan_quinn

Long-day vs. Short-day Onions

Sloan Quinn 8b
8 years ago

Okay, I'm sure someone has asked this somewhere before, but I can't find it if they have. I have two questions:

1.) I know long-day onions need 14+ hours of daylight to bulb. Is that consistently (i.e. they bulb AS LONG AS they have 14+ hours) or just "at least once or twice" (i.e. day length hits 14+ hours and a switch is flipped, "Oh, it's time to bulb!")?

2.) What about the twilight hours - when there's daylight, but it's before or after actual sunrise/sunset? Do those times count, as long as the plants aren't shaded by something?

For instance, where I live here in Texas, we typically have 19 days in June that are just over 14 hours long from sunrise to sunset. Is that enough to kick some kinds of long-day onions into bulbing? If you count civil twilight in your day-length (when the sun's not up, but it's light enough to do stuff without artificial lights), then our 14-hour period this year begins April 25, 2016 and ends August 16, 2016, and the summer solstice would time at 14 hours, 57 minutes long.

I realize I may be grasping at straws, here, and I'm sure that there are onions that require more than 14 hours, but I really hate that it's so hard to find non-sweet onion varieties that are supposedly good for my area. I didn't plan any space for onions into my garden this year, though, because I wasn't sure what I could get away with.

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths