SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jeanniechl

Slanting and squeaky floors? Is my house shifting? Who do I call?

Jeannie B
8 years ago

Hi. We moved into our house in June 2015. I didn't notice (and neither did the inspector) that the upstairs floors were not 100% level. On second thought, I do remember the inspector showing us how one of the bedroom doors may have been trimmed because it wasn't closing in the doorway well. After we moved in I put a tall dresser against the wall in my bedroom and noticed it was slanted. I then took a better look and I saw that a portion of the room was slightly slanted. Nothing overtly noticeable and a little wedge under one side of the dresser made it look completely straight. My upstairs (all hardwood) floors creak A lot and my husband stomps a lot and I think it's getting worse. It seems some nails are poking up through the floors and I feel like I am noticing dips in the floors. Then tonight I closed my daughters door (the one the inspector noticed was trimmed) and it was sticking. It took some effort to close it but just days ago it was moving fine. My husband seems to think it's this unusual heat wave we have but I think it's the house shifting. Neither of us know a thing about houses so I'm reaching out for help. Mainly, I want to know who I can contact to have this looked at and hopefully fixed. Many thanks in advance!

Comment (1)