SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_835786

Need Help with Home Renovation!

dee degohi
8 years ago

Hi. Been watching House Flipper and seeing the whole house renovations have me longing for one myself. At first I just had the roof repair money $7,500 for house and garage architectural shingles and the bathroom $3,500 DIY, the kitchen relocation budget was at a mere $2,000 with an catch budget of about $2,000 for any extras I may run into.

I figure stripping all walls down to the studs, new plumbing in room where new kitchen will go and complete tear out of current bathroom is where the highest costs are interior of the house.

I have a 1950 single level ranch about 1700 sq ft Was thinking of having interior design or architect draw up plans for me but idk?

Can I find a professional to do these renovations for a budget of $20,000 to $25k or how much is this sort of thing going for in Jacksonville Fl, 32254? How do I search for them?

Comments (12)

• User
    8 years ago

That's not even a kitchen budget in real life. You've been watching too much TV.

• Ann Scott-Arnold
    8 years ago

That budget is DIY for a whole house with going to the studs and tearing out a bath and kitchen -- and hope there are no surprises or things you can't do like wiring and plumbing to code..

ANd yeah we have done renovations and restorations to several houses - some paid contractors and others did every single thing including down to studs, wiring, plumbing, custom built kitchens cabinets ....

dee degohi thanked Ann Scott-Arnold
  • Related Discussions

Help! Need Advice for Exterior House Renovation

Q

Comments (7)
    The house isn't bad at all. It is the landscaping that is trouble. As is often the case, a couple of trees would help. Since the house is low, small flowering trees would work. Keep the plantings low on the right side of the house, but expand the bed out past the porch. We can't really see what is going on at the left side to know what areas are bed and what is hardscaping. Be extremely careful with color if you can't resist the idea of paint. Right now, the various parts of the house - the brick, the roof, and the siding - go together. I don't know how many houses have been posted here since the Landscape Design forum was merged into Houzz that started out with perfectly reasonable 1960s, 1970s color schemes but now are badly in need of fixing because the omnipresent beige siding of the 1990's never went with the brick.
    ...See More

renovation at the beach and need help with wall and house colors

Q

Comments (1)
    So BM suggests Mink with RP for the exterior, dark brown metal roof as close as possible to the rest of your roofing. Inside I would do matte walls and semi gloss trim all in the same color of white
    ...See More

Need ideas for new home renovations on budget

Q

Comments (3)
    you've posted every room ,,no mention of budget, or what you want. "On a budget". I don't know what that means. Can you DIY? if not, then this could easily surpass 50K you need flooring and lighting. paint. how's the plumbing/electrical? traditional-modern-contemporary This covers a million options. you will have to narrow things down.
    ...See More

Need help renovating parents' 30 year old house, starting in kitchen!

Q

Comments (11)
    You asked where to start. In order: 1- As Cook's KItchen says, start with the professional inspection. 2- Since the house will be sold, get comparative market analyses from three very active agents in your area for selling prices as is or fixed up. 3- Then write down your budget or your parents' budget. Think about how the fix up expenses will be paid for- will the costs be added to the as-is purchase price? Or will the expenses be a gift from you or your parents to your son? If you understandably just want to get started doing something, prime the red walls with two or three coats of primer. Pick a warm off white that is a bit darker or more colorful than the white plantation shutters and (presumably) white woodwork in the dining room.
    ...See More
  • dee degohi
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Sophie Wheeler, I asked for some recommendations for a budget? Do you have any? I see the budgets on TV for these amounts and my home is not nearly as big as those and not doing any landscaping or add ons, or structural changes.

Ann Scott-Arnold I got tired of typing holding the baby and using one hand but that certainly was discussed. I have a few friends from the church who are in construction some way or another who will be willing to tear out walls and haul away debris. Thank you for your response, I just want to know that someone has taken this on themselves! Do you think its a good plan to put everything in storage? we will rent a container and keep it on the property. I spoke with two members late last night and they changed my timetable completely. Said it could take more like 2 months or more because these men work and would most likely be able to donate a weekend every other week and not full days.

I think we are going to just start with the back of the house, the 1 and only bathroom we have. The walls can be torn down and replaced in a day. The other stuff will follow a week or so later.

• sushipup1
    8 years ago

Are you depending on people from church to do this for you?

I agree with the others, you have been watching too much TV. Your ideas are completely unrealistic unless you and your husband are skilled DIYers who already own the necessary tools. Can you buy the materials wholesale? The TV shows get a lot of materials free in exchange for the advertising. Why should professionals who go to your church do any of this work for free? Are you a hardship case? In most of the TV shows, the work is done by staff and salaries are not included, including plans and actual labor.

• User
    8 years ago

No, that budget is a single kitchen, all DIY. The average kitchen redo is 60K. A bathroom, 18K. Your area may be a bit more or less, but you're not getting permits, inspections, and insurance, for even double that budget for all of those projects. And that would be assuming you were in the trades yourself and could do all the labor up to standard. Cost vs. Value by Remodeling Magazine.

• geoffrey_b
    8 years ago

I remodeled our downstairs bath - it was $9k of materials. Took me 6-9 months (working mostly on the weekends, and sometimes after dinner).

Those shows are a lie. They also use the cheapest sh*t products available. I saw one moron chick make a picket fence out of some scrap pine, and they used a 'pin nailer' to attach the pickets. That fence is going to last about 3-5 years.

I would get the roof fixed first. Then start with one room (like a 2nd bathroom) if you have one. Kitchens and bathrooms are the most difficult to do.

Don't believe anything you see on that DIY TV.

dee degohi thanked geoffrey_b
  • ladygibbs
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Just wanted to input that remodeling on a small budget is quite possible. I redid an entire house down to the studs for under 20k. That was new plumbing, new electrical, new insulation, new drywall, some new flooring, new roof, some new windows, new bathroom... I took my time, and did most it is myself. I hired professionals to come inspect my work to make sure I was doing things correctly. I did hire out for certain things like installing the windows, and laying the tile floor. I waited for sales and shopped around for materials, fixtures, and finishes.

3 years later I'm still finishing up things like trim. (which I hand cut, sand, and stain out of rough cut pine boards) But it looks quite nice, and it was done right. I didn't cut corners or use cheap materials. I was patient. I was given a perfect bathroom vanity by a friend who had recently moved, and I found a brand new shower surround and sink at a yard sale for $50. The toilet and mirror I purchased on sale. I have not replaced the kitchen cabinets/counters yet, so you do have to figure that is a pretty large expense. Now I'm gearing up for an addition, and I'm paying someone else to do it this time! lol.

dee degohi thanked ladygibbs
  • dee degohi
    Original Author
    8 years ago

kelseegibbs

Thank you for your input. I am not trying to get free labor. The church members are also close friends. I work in the legal profession and write so we all help each other out. Will be nice to have friends along.

I like your plan to do the work yourself then have it inspected. After speaking to a few representatives at the lumber yard, stone yard and home builders here in the Jacksonville area they all said what you said. I have to piece meal it out, seperate the projects.

I would love to see some before and afters, what products you used. I know now those TV shows are filled with misleading advertising! I was looking for a realistic budget for the house renovation, yours is a start at least.

geoffrey_b

Thank you for your recommendations. My husband just admitted he's not too crazy with the idea of living out of a motel room or staying with his parents in Miami. We have a timeshare we could use to give the children some distraction but like you guys are saying, we need all hands on deck. Need to choose materials.

sushipup1

Yes I am a hardship case! I am handicap, lost an arm in an car accident and no matter what, despite the pains and feeling its there - it hasn't grown back. lol Can you help? I am not relying on anyone but myself but its nice to think someone would help me if they could.

emrosenberg

My daughter is looking forward to crashing some walls down this weekend but the roofer just advised me to wait until the roof is completed. That's not for another month. Will be done before April 15th. We do need the bathroom and right now it is the only one so we will tackle that one last. I agree room by room. Since the space for the new kitchen is empty we are going to start there. The electrician is a local one and he has all the credentials to do the work. Thankfully all our wiring is up to code already. He says to get the walls prepped and floors done then he will come in but shouldn't he come in first so we don't have to fix the walls again? I will get this cleared up.

PRO

Sophie Wheeler
    Thank you for your insight. My neighbor just DIY her kitchen and its needed everything, new floors, countertops, sink, walls, lights... Her project just came in under $7,000 and they did all the work themselves, using basic designs and materials, Her sister who is out near the beaches project was $40,000 and what a difference! The craftsmanship, the layout, the materials, like wow! Crazy thing is I think I can get that same pop in my project for less.

As a DIYer I would use Build Direct, Craigs list, estate sales, Thrift Stores, just looking for a few quality pieces. I know my crown moulding will be expensive but can create the look of wood beams using different materials and techniques.

I am keeping my floors, stripping, staining. Trying to make realistic updates that won't break the bank.

So one cost saver is to not tear all the walls out, just the ones that are needed. Kitchen - Paint, cabinets, countertops, small island. Trying to decide island with cooktop or sink, ever see two in one kitchen? I have time for that. Looking for online app that lets me visualize my space with all these changes.

• weedyacres
    8 years ago

What's driving you to do this renovation? Just jealousy of the TV shows? It sounds like you're on a tight budget, and shopping CL, but then you're talking about crown molding and fake beams and decorative stuff. There's nothing wrong with all of that, but it doesn't mesh with a tight budget. I would recommend you sort out needs (like a roof that doesn't leak) with wants and make sure it can fit in the budget.

Why do you have to move the kitchen? Are you going to use the same cabinets or buy all new? That makes a big difference in the budget.

Why are you taking things down to the studs (that means removing
    drywall)? Plumbing and electrical can be run with just minor cut-outs.

I would start slow. Post your current floorplan here and photos, with a description of how you want to change it. Figure out what makes sense, what is needed and what is wanted. Use the kitchen forum to get a good layout for that room. Don't just start tearing things down without a plan.

• H B
    8 years ago

Its probably also helpful to have some savings in hand, as a safety net in case you run into something that has to be dealt with right away -- if you have to hire someone, purchase materials, or both.

• dee degohi
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

weedyacres

Yes, you are right about measuring wants vs needs. I no longer watch those tv shows! The roof is a priority and should be done before long for both the house and garage. I was asking the question about what would be best to do for the sake of both time and money. idk i was just asking, trying to get a feel for where to start. Everyone has their own advice to give so it seems a matter of deciding what priorities we have then going down the list. I do not have an unlimited budget. Hubby wants to fix the roof, power wash then fill in and paint the house, put new fencing from painted corrugated metal then call it a day.

So our compromise is the roof first, NOTHING gets done before then. Refinish wood floors floors 2nd (4 bedrooms and hallway). Remove tiles in the only tiny bathroom and in the current kitchen. Remove these tiles from the livingroom and sun room floors as well. Lighting next - ceiling and wall sconces & put electric lines in for where new kitchen will be and update the lines in current kitchen to fit where the master bedroom will be. Put heated floors down in old bathroom, living room, sun room, and current kitchen but to fit the new master bathroom.

The sun room is my DIY off the grid experiment for a bathroom. I am deciding on what toilet to get, the incino or the sunmar composting? When we are in Haiti there is much less to go than when we're in Costa Rica but the idea is still the same, off grid and it works just fine. I already have the barrels and a stand hubby built for the rain water, filters, solar panels and hose, gravity pump? But this is definitely an extra, non necessity but it does seem the easiest and cheapest. Just needs some paint and some modification to the bay window sill. I'm thinking a space for a trundle unit under there or drawers or storage. Again, this is a BONUS project that shouldn't take much of the budget I have for the other updates.

After the heated floors are down for the old bathroom, the old kitchen, the living room and sun room (guest room) then we're off to the next project which should put me on my way to a new kitchen, master bath and guest bathroom. Hubby can do plumbing and electrical but we will hire out for the electrical. Plumbing for new kitchen sink and hookup for ice maker/refrigeration. I can't decide if I want a sink in the island or a regular hookup and do the cook top in the island or just a plain island!!!

After all of this, there's just paint and some other decorative touches: stencil, embossed wall paper, wainscoting, tiling, crown molding. We have cleared out the lower cabinets in the kitchen already. There are a slew of lumbar yards in my area and in southern Georgia and I've already picked up pieces for the current bathroom. Pricing and styles are doable. My idea of beams does not fit into the budget or timetable so that can always be added later. I had wanted a skylight over the master bathroom but hubby explained the energy loss and its a no. :0(

Thank you for all your input it has whipped me into a realistic DIY and project manager. Looks like we will tear floors/tiles out ourselves. vanity, counter top, cabinets then resurface them in a color and finish with hardware updates - OURSELVES. My master bathroom may have a incino/composting toilet too for now idk. All the plumbing is available for a shower/bath and sink, I just want to minimize all the extras if we don't have to do it. What do you think of this idea? Hubby says we can revisit that at a later time and we really do want to be a bit more eco friendly like when we're camping in Adirondacks or the Hamptons or Costa Rica, Trinidad or Haiti.

We have electric for cooking. I do miss the gas from up north but it will do. Baking and grilling is the majority of our meals here with a teenager in the house. She cooks A LOT!

H B

Thank you for the heads up. This need is what played a major role in my decision to scale back on my grandiose desires. That darn house flipper really messed me up with full home renovations at 20k to 45k! Someone pointed out there's a lot of cost not included but I didn't know and that's why I asked. I couldn't find any reputable businesses here in Jacksonville who could match those prices, notice I said reputable.

Yes I am ALWAYS looking for a break, a deal, a savings but not shoddy work or cheap materials or low quality labor. I now see this is a DIY project with hired inspectors and specialty for electricity and laying the colored cement floor. Later down the line, I'd like to update the windows and put some rubber pour down for the play space for my children. I scored a new pool in the box off of Craig's list for free but some parts were missing when i hired a assemble man to put it together. I have a deck builder, materials and labor for a good price but now that's on hold too. We need to hire someone to level out the backyard but its kind of tight to get equipment back there with all the trees we cut in preparation for the new roof. I will make a grill out of an old oil barrel and use a gas cook top with tanks...

I can't wait to see some progress and imagine that will be after the roof and gutters are laid then the off grid system goes up immediately! After we fog the attic for mold, encapsulate/paint/ insulate. Then its the old bathroom which has to be torn down to studs, there's some rotted wood in the wall. We have a idea of what order to go in so we will try to stick to that plan. Thank you again for your guidance, its much appreciated.