SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ourhighlandhome

Anyone been to the Weogufka, AL area?

ourhighlandhome
8 years ago

Yesterday was spent "Sunday driving" in search of the Pinhoti Trail, the southern terminus of the Appalachian Trail. It is home to some of the most beautiful & diverse land I have ever laid eyes on. I was totally unprepared for what I saw.

As we approached the town we drove along roads with plunging ravines on the one side and towering "mountains" on the other. Suddenly flat, open pastureland would appear, filled with cattle, barns, and "period" homes (some very...uhmm...creative), the likes of which you do not see anymore.

At some point I became aware of the absence of privet, eleagnus and nandina, along with other foreign, invasive plants. I saw the pure, peaceful, native Southern forest, filled with ferns and evergreen shrubs I have yet to identity and didn't know existed.

Standing out most, perhaps, were the numerous streams, creeks and wetlands, most of them lined and shadowed by the bare canopies of large sycamore trees with their vivid white bark. There are large areas of unsightly deforestation of hardwoods being addressed by the planting of thousands of long-leaf pine saplings. I understand why the state forestry commission is reintroducing the long-leaf pine, but why at the expense of native hardwoods?

I became aware of how little I travel our state and how much I miss out on the natural beauty that surrounds us. I also remembered Jan, who used to take me on such trips with great frequency.

I would highly recommend taking a trip to this area for the raw beauty of its landscape, native flora, and as a reminder of the "old" South and how they lived. Sadly I recommend leaving before sundown (google "sundown towns"). I will admit to feeling a bit "uncomfortable" while there.

Large, fast-moving creeks and streams.

A sampling of the soil, exposed by ditches along the unimproved road to Pinhoti Trail.

A wildflower growing along a ditch on the mountainside, identified as epigaea repens (wth?). Never heard of it! Another sign of my ignorance. Shame on me.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Rodriguez Construction Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading Home Builders in Franklin County, OH