SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
daninthedirt

chloramine and chlorine water disinfection

I find myself a bit puzzled about the effects of common city water disinfectants (chlorine, and chloramines in particular). Although chemical-fearing people seem to dread them, it's really not obvious that they do anything bad to plants in soil. I understand that beer and wine made with water so treated can come up with off-flavors, and aquatic animals don't like them. I believe that hydroponic gardeners avoid them too. There are various treatments (e.g. campden tablets) that remove those additives.

But you'd have to believe that when those treatments hit soil, they get disabled. Why? Because if you water your microbe-rich garden beds or bacterially activated compost piles with them, if they worked thoroughly as disinfectants, you'd end up with a lot of dead dirt. Doesn't happen. I guess it might be that they get neutralized as they kill small amounts of soil bacteria, leaving the rest behind.

So although I'm hardly likely to wean myself off of city water (and gardeners down here use a LOT of it) it would not be unreasonable to use, say, distilled or treatment-neutralized water on seedlings, and it's high time for seedlings. Anyone do that, and actually see any difference, compared to treated water? Please, I don't need to hear from rain water evangelists, unless they've actually done the experiment. Any soil chemists out there who might comment?

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting