SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
martinca_gw

Bradford Pears in So. Ca.

Just finished reading passionate discussion re. these over in Tree forum. They are highly scorned due to breakage issues and invasivness. No responder was from So. Ca. , so all their alternative choices do not perform well, or at all in zone 24. Here, they are a one of the very few, smaller frees offering lovely autumn color. The blossoms, and their odor, are of little consequence as so short lived. Crepe myrtle was mentioned, but they only bloom well inland, and can get mildew this near the coast....plus, I've read both fast AND slow growth, which is confusing....and their fall color is pretty meek here, as well. As for being invasive, how can anything needing regular water be uncontrolably invasive here? As for breakage, would that not be far less a problem with no heavy snow/ sleet storms, and proper trimming to reduce possible wind damage? There is a new cultivar that is supposedly better ...poo pooed in Tree forum. So! What say my California pals, and any alternative suggestions.? Don't tell me pistache, cuz lotsa luck finding one at a nursery that's a decent size, at least. And seems like most of the ornamental plums...love the maroon leaves...end up diseased appearing. Would so so so appreciate ideas for my semi coastal O.C. Area. TIA!

p.s. We've removed half of our grass and ARE conserving in other ways, so please don't suggest native, dessert looking things....and don't get mad, I just cannot go there for one pretty statement tree.

Comments (12)