SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dirtygardener73

I'm done watching the sun in the courtyard -- have a semi-plan now

dirtygardener73
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I've determined by watching the sun for all these months that I can plant two 3'x7' gardens in the center full-sun area with 16" between them. That will be plenty enough for my full-sun crops. The south wall is always in shade, so my edible gingers will go back there - regular ginger and turmeric. I'm going to plant a fruit tree in the huge terracotta pot and put it right in front of my windows for shade in the afternoon. Still torn between peaches and lemons, but with citrus greening, I'm leaning toward peaches. I do miss my SC peaches! Can't grow those here, but at least I could have something.

This is a tentative plan. I know the pathways are too narrow, but it's not like I'm going to be pushing wheelbarrows down them. I did it like that because if I do square foot gardening, that's all that's left for pathways. No room for boards for raised beds either without giving up planting space, so I have to work that out too. I may just do containers. Don't know yet. It's all in the planning phase.

The corner with the gravel is a mystery right now. It's mostly shade, so may put a container of some shade-tolerant edible ornamental there. The Elephant Ear is already there, but I'll be replacing that with Taro or Malanga so it will at least be edible. That back side is shady all day, thus the Ginger and Turmeric.

Comments (12)