SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
primdawg

Question for those with an elevator.

Annette Holbrook(z7a)
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I'm having to adjust my whole plan and have resigned myself to the fact that we will have a drive under garage. Something I swore I'd never do again after living in a rental with one years ago. But life is compromises and sometimes it works out as a bonus. In my case the drive under garage will get me some other options that are wonderful so I'm looking ahead. Installing an elevator will eliminate my main issue so I'm trying to work this into my plans.

My main reason for switching is to eliminate a $60,000-80,000 detached garage with a space above. If an elevator is going to cost me half that then I'm not sure which will be a better investment. No matter what I am planning on stacking closets that I can retrofit later if it is too much to spend right now. Or maybe put a dumb waiter in for now and retrofit that to an elevator later.

I've been perusing the web looking for info but am having trouble finding info. Every site I visit wants contact info and I'm not into dodging sales calls just yet.

From what I can gather I need a space that is at least 3'x4'. If my spot is a bit bigger is that going to run my costs up? Or does is matter which wall the door is on? In my current plan the door would be on the 4' wall, but to one end, not centered.

Any guesstimate out there on a cost? Even just a ballpark on a small, not fancy elevator that will just go up one floor.

Second question, for those that have an elevator, do you find it useful and reliable?

Comments (22)