SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mary_johnsonremley

Total kitchen remodel - opening up ceiling

Mary Remley
8 years ago

Insulation for kitchen remodel

Original house was built in 1939. It is a cape cod style. As best as we can figure the kitchen addition of 12x14 was done somewhere in the 1960's off the back of the house and hasn't been touched since. We are currently completely remodeling the kitchen, taking it down to the studs and redoing all the insulation, electric, plumbing, etc. as it's all been very poorly done. Long story short - we also decided to remove the ceiling and expose the rafters/trusses. Most all of the lumber is old rough cut lumber so the end result would be pretty cool looking. There is only about 3-4 feet of height difference from where the ceiling is to the peak so we aren't talking a huge difference in height but it will open up the whole feel of the room tremendously.

So here's where my questions come in. I've already removed all the cellulose insulation and the cheap old nasty batten insulation they had above the ceiling. I had to do all this to expose all the wiring that was in there - open live wires, poor connections - it was horrible. I have no idea how this house hasn't burned down. Anyway - this 12x14 addition has 3 types of vents - there is a gable vent that faces east, a ridge vent, and also a round vent in the roof. There are no eave soffits on this house - so there is no ventilation from there. So am I correct in thinking that I need to seal all of these vents up? If yes - how would you do it? It seems to me that the 3 different vents are all working against each other.

What I vision for my end result is putting rigid insulation up Between the trusses and then covering with old barn wood in between to stay with the old wood look. Would this work? Do I need a vapor barrier? I guess what I'm after is - is it ok to completely seal everything up?

I want to do this right the first time so please ask any questions you need to. I'll be happy to take pics of anything you need. This is our first time ever opening up a ceiling like this so we are in new territory but we are very advanced DIYers.

Comment