SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_16331601

KAW....45 years and counting...he "woks" :)

User
8 years ago

We just celebrated 45 years together and this wok has been there through it all. Much nicer digs than when we started in a 3rd floor walkup on the corner of Chartres and Esplanade in the Quarter. It gets better every year. c

Comments (28)

• User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

and two more...

• happy2b…gw
    8 years ago

Congratulations on your 45th. The smile on his face says it all.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    8 years ago

Congratulations! Dinner looks delicious.

• tea4all
    8 years ago

Congratulations! So glad you posted! Yummy food!

• jmarino19
    8 years ago

Congratulations. Thanks for letting us all share in your joy. KAW indeed.

• Swedepie
    8 years ago

How wonderful for you to share such a joyful moment! Happy Anniversary with wishes for many more years together!

• tmy_jax
    8 years ago

Outstanding! Congrats!

• User
    8 years ago

Congrats! Long live the wok!! and marriage :)

• User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you !! He is THE BEST ...but perhaps I am somewhat biased :) He not only cooks he does all the clean up as well. I am the person who turns on the rice cooker ( his parents gave it to us in the 70's ) and I take out the needed items and put them away...pretty cushy job I have ! I baked bread today so we will have toast with yogurt in the AM. Pretty good team work. So glad that the KAW live on.Hope others will post how their appliances and their arrangements and layouts work.

I do want to point out that my "ice" is in the adjacent area well away from the proper cooking area. We love it that way and have no desire to have the fridge freezer in the immediate kitchen area. Our "fire,stone,water" are all very close. Also we have much closer aisle widths than suggested and they work great even when the chef kids are here and we have 4 of us at our stations . So you must always take it all with a grain of salt and do what works for you and your situation/home constraints. In our 1890 home we had LOTS of things we couldn't do as far as extending the area so we did what we could and have loved every moment.

Thank you again for looking and hope we get a lot more years out of this wok and the man wielding the tools. c

• DYH
    8 years ago

Happy Anniversary! So good to see you're still on the forums.

Cameron (aka WonByHerWits from the old days)

User thanked DYH
  • oldbat2be
    8 years ago

Happy Anniversary! Once again, I wish I were closer:) - it looks yummy. I received a wok as a wedding gift from a dear friend of my mother's - and have never successfully seasoned or used it. (I'm sure that's another thread or two).

User thanked oldbat2be
  • User
    8 years ago

Happy 45th! Always enjoy catching a glimpse of your kitchen. Thanks for sharing the pics. Meal looks wonderful!

User thanked User
  • beachem
    8 years ago

Happy anniversary. OMG he cooks. That says it all. So awesome.

My DH version of cooking is going out or dial delivery. Both of which I hate due to the sugar in prepared foods.

User thanked beachem
  • nancyjwb
    8 years ago

What a beautiful sentiment behind this post. I could use a few pointers on a marriage still joyful after 45 years!

Your kitchen looks so functional and the food yummy! I really like your cooktop and hood setup. Not to mention, your division of labor sounds enviable;)

User thanked nancyjwb
  • westsider40
    8 years ago

Happy Anniversary! Hope you two have another 45 wonderful years together. You were the inspiration for my hobby of bread baking and I thank you for that. May you and your family continue to enjoy your superb kitchen.

User thanked westsider40
  • cat_mom
    8 years ago

Happy Anniversary TR!

Tell R we said hi and Happy Anniversary!

User thanked cat_mom
  • leela4
    8 years ago

Lovely post; lovely kitchen; lovely couple. Happy Anniversary to you both.

User thanked leela4
  • blfenton
    8 years ago

Happy Anniversary to you both!

User thanked blfenton
  • Buehl
    8 years ago

Happy anniversary!

User thanked Buehl
  • User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

You all are so sweet ! Thank you again for the generous compliments. I love sharing our space and am glad that westsider, and I know there are others out there, are baking bread and exploring the world of food in new ways due to my posts and others who have opened their kitchens to GW.

I don't want to get way OT but I will throw in a pitch for what has really helped us get along together better every day. We started sitting in meditation together in 2010 when we were going through a very very tough time with a family member. Before that DH had sat alone. I had tried but just wasn't able to do it. The stress of that Fall had me seeking out relief in a way that had helped DH so much. I am so glad that I put forth the effort and that we were able to pursue it almost every day since then. We practice Vipassana meditation and have attended 10 day silent retreats together annually since 2011. We now sit together for 1 hr 2x a day. There are lots of ways to meditate and this works for us. If you have an interest in this please do look it up and you can always message me ( I guess you can through Houzz...let me know if it doesn't work :) ) I think it is the path to a life of peace and calm. We still have some pretty tough stuff to handle and it makes it possible to approach these difficulties with equanimity.

Back to the Kitchen !! c

• rebunky
    8 years ago

Happy anniversary trailrunner and your wonderful dh of 45 years! Thanks for sharing it with all of us. Such an inspiration. I love that the wok has been there cooking you delicious meals through it all. Best KAW!

I love your kitchen. The isles actually look big to me. I am one who also could function fine without the "ice" not that close to fire. I don't really get stuff from the fridge after I get out all my ingredients for prepping.

Is that a soapstone sink? What is that to the left of the cooktop? An extra induction burner? The wood countertops are gorgeous. What are they? I knew I recognized your kitchen and have coveted your massive range hood before, but I don't think I've ever seen your reveal. Okay, your kitchen reveal is now on my list of things to look up. Thanks again and so nice to have you back posting KAW!

User thanked rebunky
  • mushcreek
    8 years ago

I've often said that my cooking is the only reason my wife puts up with me!

User thanked mushcreek
  • User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

rebunky....thank you so much....you and all the others who have commented have been more than kind about my posts !! I do mise en place also and I never ever prep by the sink so having a large amount of space for that near a sink or having a prep sink would be wasted on me.

Aisles are : 40" - movable island to cooking / 30" island to DW/ 48" walkway between island and fireplace/ 46" walkway island to baking center soapstone run. So yes the clearances are good except the DW but it isn't ever a problem as it only is open less than 10 min. at a time.

The unit to the left of the Caldera 5 burner is a Miele built in deep fat fryer. We used to use it ALL the time. Less so now unless we have company. It works fabulously...which is a curse and a blessing :) The soapstone sink is antique and there is a huge one in the adjacent sunroom. I got all my salvage for the house renovation from Nor'east Architectural Salvage. They are great to work with. The countertops are teak on the " L" around the sink and cooktop area and soapstone on the baking run and in the sunroom. The reveal was in 2007 . The hood is a 1400 cfm Tradewind liner with a remote blower. It works great !! The baffles have to be cleaned every week...that is how I KNOW it works...and my open shelves are always pristine. I will put a link to my photobucket and unlock the pics so you and others can view if you like.

mushcreek..I have seen your building process...you are an ARTIST !! Wow....if you cook like you build then I am sure your wife is thrilled with you :) c

http://s63.photobucket.com/user/41455/library/?sort=3&page=1

• rebunky
    8 years ago

Your home is incredible. I love the leaded glass transoms above the doorways. And what a score on those soapstone sinks! The teak counters really drew my attention. I got way too hungry looking at the past KAW threads. You guys can really COOK! Thanks for the link to all your wonderful photos.

User thanked rebunky
  • User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

rebunky...I just looked up your posts on your cottage in Hawaii...whoa...that is the most amazingly beautiful place I have ever seen !! What views and boy do you and your DH have lots of talent. I look forward to your finish reveal . Thank you for your compliments. We do love to cook and eat :) c

• elizpiz
    8 years ago

trailrunner (waving) - so lovely to "read" your voice! I haven't been hanging out on Houzz (miss the old GW format/gang) - so it's nice to see that some of the same wonderful names are here. Happy cooking and happy anniversary dear kitchen friend!

User thanked elizpiz
  • User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

WOW!! I have thought of you and wondered where in the world you had gone ...literally . I am SO glad to hear from you . I had the little cookbook in my hand the other day :) The issues that were going on at that time have fortunately become a distant memory. Lots of hard work and time have pretty much remedied the situation. Thank you for checking in. I miss GW also but have tried to adapt :) THANK YOU !! c