SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
indianaamanda

Sink placement in small kitchen

Amanda
8 years ago

We are in the planning stage of a kitchen remodel. Our house is a 100+ year old arts&crafts style home with lots of solid brick walls. I'm not willing to knock out any of those walls to make the kitchen larger, so I'm working with a small u-shape configuration. I'm trying to keep a good length of uninterrupted countertop space, and I'm wondering if it's impossible, against code, or simply unwise to put the sink at the very end of one of the U's legs. I haven't been able to find any images of this setup (maybe I just haven't come up with the magical set of words for a search). Everything I see that has the sink anywhere near the end of the cabinets has the dishwasher on the very end and then the sink next to it. That's the closest I've ever seen the sink to being at the very end of a countertop or line of cabinets. FWIW, I'll be doing a farmhouse style, cast iron sink. It would not be butting up against a wall. It would actually be near a doorway. I know it needs some countertop over its edge and needs cabinet to rest on, but is it really not feasible to put this sink at the very end of the countertop? Is it unwise? Is there something I'm not thinking about? Does anyone have pictures of or experience with a setup like this?

Comments (17)