SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mrblubs22

Plant Suggestions

MrBlubs
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

So we're required by our Natural Science class to purchase 2 different house plants to bring in and to care for over the course. One that were supposed to leave and one that were supposed to bring home with us. Which is the perfect excuse to buy another plant.

We're allowed to choose any 2 so I went through my wishlist and saw which ones I was thinking of getting. Then it hit me that the plant for the next 3 months won't be in my home and will only receive care and or attention every other day if that and not at all on weekends or over holidays.

Little back ground of the Natural Science Class.... It's compelelty full of plants. Most are dying, dead or struggling. There are a few that seem to be fine like some Yuccas, spiders and such but the vast majority look pretty pathetic. The people who care for them have absolutely no clue how to or dont care to take care of them properly. Very and i mean very few do. No one knows even the teacher the exact names of 99% of the plants. They get infested with fungus gnats and other pests and usually get over watered but then again underwatered. And Anyone has acess to them.

They all sit in front of giant mostly south windows that are slightly at an angle pointing it East.

And I'm supposed to bring 2 plants into that mess.

For the plant I have to leave there it will probably be something hardy like a pothos or one of my baby spider plants as they can take alot. Poor things.

The plant that I'm supposed to bring then take back I was going to go with one of the dwarf bananas as I've always wanted one and my ensete will soon be outside again.

Yet, I doubt it would do well. With its water needs and easily teared leaves....I also thought of a small pachira but don't know how well that would fair either. There's a lot of things that could go wrong and it's messing up my decision making!

Like there might be times were I don't even see the plant for a full on week or more. Or I might see it every other day. Someone might decide to over watered mine or mess with it or something....

So anyone have any suggestions?

I just find it hard to decide as the plant would be in my care, but yet wouldn't be. So many things are out of my control and I can't do anything about it.

Don't want anymore succulents as I think I've reached my succulent capacity. No palms or draceanas either or any pothos or spiders.. I want to try something new.

All in all I guess I could just choose whatever and see how it goes but I'd like my plant to survive!

Comments (24)