SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mrsjamc

Wilsonart laminate: How to get the appearance of a thinner surface?

mrsjamc
8 years ago

**This question is not about different style options for laminate edges**

We're beginning a kitchen renovation and are planning to use laminate countertops (for many reasons). Currently leaning toward WilsonArt's "black alicante" pattern in a matte or their "antique" finish. It gives the general feel of soapstone but does not look like it's trying too hard (as I feel that many of the more expensive, stone-like patterns do).

Can anyone share any insight on how to get a thinner laminate surface? Before you tell me that all their surfaces are the same thickness, see the link below. It can be done! In my opinion, an overall thinner surface makes the laminate appear more attractive. Perhaps it's because the subtle difference in thickness is enough to throw us for loop when we see that instead of the exact same thickness we have all observed on almost every kitchen counter the past several decades! This was exhibited by @mgmum in her kitchen reveal- Mgmum's small galley kitchen reveal. How fabulous does that look!? I love it!

Mgmum, who is in Canada, advised that the edge may be called "an eased edge." I am in the states and so far have not been able to find anyone who is familiar with this or any other process for getting the look. That includes the corporate WilsonArt office. :-/ So either the process or the terminology may be different between countries.

I will be so grateful for any and all feedback!

TAGS: WilsonArt Laminate Kitchen Countertops Edge Formica Soapstone

Comments (16)