SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_11324

Need overall simple design help for small cottage - paint panelling?

User
8 years ago

Hello - we need to renovate a very small, old cottage - there is a small addition where the panelling is a very red-y oak, ceilings are drywall white and all wood windows have a light wood trim. Current blue carpet needs to leave as it's worn out. Sectional sofa in a light cream colour stays. The main living/dining/kitchen is up one step and requires everything new - panelling, ceiling, floors, hearth and stone wall (see stone pic) for wood stove.

First, I love the look of white panelling and warm wood floors (we'll use vinyl due to water/beach and temperature fluctuations) and was wondering if I can do that in the main living/dining/kitchen while somehow keeping the red-y panelling in the addition? How can I tie the 2 spaces together? Any wood/darker flooring goes a really funny colour with the red panelling - the only option that seems to work is a bleached oak floor (not my first choice - so how can I make this work?) I believe it should be the same throughout the cottage as it's at most, 900 square feet total. Kitchen is currently brown oak cabinets with faux butcher block laminate counters - I am completely open to a full overhaul here.

Here is a look of how the 2 spaces link and you can see the red-y panelling behind the blue chair - all other walls/panelling need to be redone as they are literally falling apart! Behind the woodstove is where the drystack stone will be going. Best pic I have... sorry!

Hard to give all the details - happy to provide any more information - thanks everyone - you guys have helped me through many renovations :)

Comments (3)