SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jamie81

What's your "toughest" hosta for sun?

jamie81
8 years ago

Maybe now that the alphabet has wound down, you will all be willing to help me out....

Three years ago, my main hosta garden went from full shade to full sun. My neighbor took out their huge silver maple and I lost all my shade. I am in Minnesota, so full sun is not what it is elsewhere. I made sure everything got plenty of water, and most of my plants have adjusted. Three biggies have not, Elegans, Frances William, and Sagae. They were all pretty big, 15-20 years old.

Elegans is dead, FW I am going to toss, and the remains of my huge Sagae will move this spring....

So the question is...what hosta do you have growing in a lot of sun that is actually doing well? I've looked at all the "hosta for sun" lists, but I would like to know which one you would pick for a replacement.

The hosta in that bed that made the transition are, Gold Standard, Nigriscens, Fire & Ice, Memories of Dorothy, August Moon, Wheee, September Sun, Shade Fanfare and Blue Wedgwood.

Sorry, I know this is long, but I appreciate any suggestions....

Comments (46)

• sunnywood4bChazyNY
    8 years ago

Squash Caserole, Sum and Substance, Key West, Paradigm all do well in full sun in upstate NY zone5b.

jamie81 thanked sunnywood4bChazyNY
  • jamie81
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I have Sum and Substance coming from Hallsons this spring, so that is probably where it should go. Last year, I put a Squash Casserole in that bed, but I had to move it out by the end of the summer. It was struggling, but it was a very small plant. I will be amazed if it even comes back this year.

Its a pretty big spot, so I think I can put three hosta there. thank you for the suggestions

• Related Discussions

what yellow/yellow green hosta can take sun?

Q

Comments (13)
    I am in zone 4/5 in the interior of B.C. We have hot summers and cold winters. We are 500 ft. above sea level so somewhere in between you and Pieter on the coast. It is generally in the 80's and 90's all summer with little rain. I am able to water as much as I need to becasuse we are on a well that never seems to run out. I've been gradully moving plants into more and more sun because of the need for more room and also to encourage those not doing well to actually grow. Over all I've been surprised and pleased that most plants grow well in the sun or at least hold their own until late in the season. The best in my experience are: Abiqua Recluse - an amazing gold that glows and catches the eye from across the garden. Paradigam - I also have a Pauls Glory in the sun but Paradigam holds up better. Inniswood- does just as well as Paradigam but the two are distinctive enough that I would always want both. Touch of Class and June - both look perfect and still have some blue color showing. Old Glory - the color is very light but no sun damage after 3 years in the hot afternoon sun. Carolina Blue - still blue Guacamole - grows well but color is muted Holy Mole - I moved it into more shade since it didn't seem to look as well as the others did Stained Glass - really beautiful but mine is in a bit less afternoon sun than the others Carolina Sunshine - just noticed the margin is turning orange, wonderful! Sunpower family: I agree that Sunpower in lots of direct sun does get crispy about now. Some of it's sports like Abba Dabba Do, Paradise Power, Zippity Do Dah, Atlantis etc. hold up much better in sun. A last yellow that I'm growing to love more and more is Aspen Gold. It's a slow grower but the round, pebbled leaves are really distinctive. The key for me is water. When we are having a really hot spell I leave the water on for days at a time. (drip system). That is for the ones in afternoon/evening sun at the height of summer. I have also grown some hostas in pots on a west facing balcony. The sun blasts them from about one or two o'clock until it sets at ten. It's like being in an oven. What worked the best was placing them in a dish of water to see them through the day. I made sure they were always sitting in water over the summer. A Patriot there looked perfect all summer while one in the ground with mid day sun but late afternoon shade looked ratty by fall. Good luck.
    ...See More

what would be your top five hostas in your garden?

Q

Comments (35)
    I have too many young-uns! So ask again next winter. -Guacamole -Serendipiry -Old Glory -August Moon -Sagae -I have a solid green NOID that I just think is wonderful. It was wrongly ID'd as Invincible at the nursery. It has similar qualities but no way is it near identical. It forms a beautifully dense mound almosst 6 feet across, has around 4 to 4 1/2 feet long arching scapes and is slug-proof. For a solid green with no puckering or wavy edges or such, it must be good to make this list. lol Les
    ...See More

What's Your Toughest Problem So Far with Your Potager This Year?

Q

Comments (21)
    My toughest problem is what in the world should I do with my hardy kiwi? I used to have 5 arches that I grew hops, squash, cherry tomatoes and of course, the kiwi. All 5 arches broke during a freak October snow storm. I reworked that garden area by putting in 4 4x4 beds for my tomatoes. I left the hops in place but put in a tepee type pole trellis for them. But the darned kiwi. I shored it up by putting 10' rebar and wire around each of them but its sprouting out all over the place and really looks very messy. With the arches gone it looks so out of place. I'm afraid to move it and I was hoping it might actually make some fruit this year. My dad who is strictly a function over form veggie gardener even commented on strange it looks where it is.
    ...See More

Sun exposure - how it can alter your hosta's look

Q

Comments (28)
    Deb, fwiw I thought I'd share with you how W and CW have done here. Whirlwind shows absolutely no effects -it is still in a pot but in plenty of direct sunlight. However, Cathedral Windows and one planted Fire Island (approx. a minimum of 6 hours of sun) are the only two hostas in my entire garden to date this season that look actually ugly! Consistent high temperatures and intense sun have bleached out the leaves and in a spot or two parts of the centre have melted out. I didn't have a spot ready otherwise CW would have been moved in spring. CW receives plenty of additional ground waterings. It was a lot better last year in same location - relocation definitely required here.
    ...See More
  • don_in_colorado
    8 years ago

My Brother Stefan, September Sun, Yesterday's Memories, June and Fragrant Fire are all adjusted to a lot of sun, and doing well here in Northern Colorado.

jamie81 thanked don_in_colorado
  • bkay2000
    8 years ago

I've had great luck with Squash Casserole in Dallas, Texas in the sun. Moccasin had good luck with it in the sun in Mobile, Alabama. Mine was a good size from day 1, though. I got it from Hallson's in the early spring and put it in a sunny spot the first year. Next to it, I melted Elegans. Paul's Glory held up well as did Cathedral Windows.

jamie81 thanked bkay2000
  • ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
    8 years ago

I had a Sum and Substance that I kept in full Florida sun until it turned gold. It rewarded me the next year by looking even better.

jamie81 thanked ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
  • nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I have a shady lot so no suggestions growing a hosta in full sun but I have an idea for you...plant a pretty shrub to protect the hostas...why not use that area for sun plants instead of hostas?

jamie81 thanked nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis
  • beverlymnz4
    8 years ago

Different people and different experiences. I had Sum and Substance in full sun and it fried in mid June every year. I moved it to half day sun and its perfect. The closest I have to a hosta in full sun now is Paul's Glory and Dancing Queen. Both made it through the long days of June without browning but were terribly faded and starting to brown by the end of the summer. I'd buy a small tree.

Dancing Queen on June 30th

jamie81 thanked beverlymnz4
  • windymess z6a KC, Ks
    8 years ago

I planted a little Cathedral Windows last summer in full sun and it probably quadrupled in size. I did give it plenty of water. This year I plan to divide and relocate it.

jamie81 thanked windymess z6a KC, Ks
  • peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
    8 years ago

To the above I would add Winter Snow, Stained Glass, Fragrant Bouquet & Fragrant Dream.

jamie81 thanked peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
  • dhaven
    8 years ago

Just a quick comment, I'll try to give you a more specific list at some point. The Plantaginea family not only tolerates sun, they do better in sun than they do in shade, and will bloom more prolifically in lots of sun. There are a great many hostas that will do just fine in full sun, but the key is to provide lots of water, and keep the plants mulched. Some varieties will look a little stressed the first year, but by the second year should be fine. Young plants will adapt more quickly than mature plants, but even mature plants will adapt in a year or two.

jamie81 thanked dhaven
  • jamie81
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you all! Just what I was looking for, great ideas.

Don, I already have a September Sun in another part of that bed. It is indestructible. As a last resort, I could move it. The spot I am trying to fill is more prominent. Yesterdays Memories is also on my order from Hallsons for this spring. But if I do the Sum and Substance there, would they look good together?

Bkay, I think my Squash Casserole was just too tiny. One of my orders last year, from someone new, was just several very small plants. Nothing did well. Cathedral Windows would be good, Windy also recommended it, so it obviously does well in sun.

Nicholsworth and Bev, I have already done just that. I added a Hydrangea bush, and planted an Ivory Silk Lilac tree nearby, hoping for some shade. In a couple of years, I should have a little shade. I have also planted some other sun perennials.

So, if I go with the Sum and Substance, which other two do you think would look good color wise? I am not very good with visualizing things. Which is why I move things, a lot.

Thanks so much. I appreciate all your input.

• jamie81
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Oh, peren, your post showed up while I was typing....I also have a Winter Snow on my spring order. Now the question is what looks good with Sum and Substance.

• Jon 6a SE MA
    8 years ago

Jamie, as you have discovered hosta with thicker leaves and darker hosta are best suited for shade as the only color a hosta leaf gets is from chlorophyll. The more chlorophyll the less sunlight needed. Dark colors absorb light and heat up more as well.

Hosta with thinner leaves transpire more easily and lighter greens or those with more variegation (edge or center) have less chlorophyll which allows them to do well with more sun.

Fragrants; Avocado, Fragrant Bouquet, Cathedral Windows, Guacamole etc., etc., etc. do better in hotter/sunnier climates as their parentage is warmer sunnier climes..

Your full sun in 4b is less than a 5,6 or 7..... so I would think you would have a large group to choose from. Hosta that I have in the most sun (no full sun anywhere at my house (who has all this full sun?). Hosta that I have in the most sun that do well are S&S, June, Patriot, Minuteman and between two Great Expectations the one getting the most sun is bigger (Same with June).

I think you should have a pretty good choice.

Good luck,

Jon

jamie81 thanked Jon 6a SE MA
  • hostas_for_barb
    8 years ago

Jamie:

Plantaginea is in full sun here in southern Ontario and it handles it well. I also have Orange Marmalade in full sun and Paradigm as well as Sun Power.

Transitioning can be hard. I am always pushing trying to find those that do well in more sun without having them all same.

Barb

jamie81 thanked hostas_for_barb
  • tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    8 years ago

To those mentioned, I'd add Inniswood.

tj

jamie81 thanked tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
  • ConnieMay ON Z6a
    8 years ago

I think that Sum and Substance, Cathedral Windows and Plantaginea would be a striking trio. In my neighbourhood it is common to see 3 or more S&S together in distinct clumps towards the end of the driveway.

jamie81 thanked ConnieMay ON Z6a
  • dhaven
    8 years ago

Great photos, McTavish, much easier to see how coloration can change in sun than to try to describe it. Many hostas will grow in full sun, but change their colors, sometimes enough to be unrecognizable. Montana Aureomarginata is a good example, it will take sun, but turns a soft green with parchment edges. Great Expectations will have a much lighter center. Obsession, normally a very dark green, thrives in full sun, but turns into a not particularly attractive faded olive/chartreuse color. Blue Angel does come up blue, but quickly becomes a deep green.

Cathedral Windows clearly is a variety that will have drastically different colors depending on light level. Oddly enough, Stained Glass, a close relative of CW, retains its bright coloring in full sun, as does Fried Bananas.

The leaves of hostas grown in sun will generally be smaller than the leaves of the same variety grown in shade. There are exceptions, Montana Aureomarginata will have roughly the same size leaf in sun or shade, same with GE.But if huge leaves are what you are looking for, look in the shade.

A great many miniature hostas will absolutely thrive in full sun, and seem to hold their coloring better than some of the larger varieties. I'll post a list of some of the better sun loving minis later. One of the best is Allan P. McConnell, which quickly clumps up into a plant about 12 inches tall and 16-20 inches across, but retains it's small leaf size, and looks crisp and neat all summer long.

jamie81 thanked dhaven
  • josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    8 years ago

Cathedral Windows is a mesmerizing hosta grown in a lot of sun. It takes on a burnished gold colour that is so lustrous. I took many photos of this one last year. I highly recommend this with S&S - it can hold its own against the size of S&S simply with its dazzle!

This one is sited in all day sun (more than 7 hours)

jamie81 thanked josephines167 z5 ON Canada
  • jamie81
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Mctavish, wow that is quite a difference. Cathedral Windows loses a lot of its appeal in full sun. I think I will stay away from that.

Several of you suggested Plantaginea, and it sounds like that does well in sun. I know it has great flowers, but I'm not sure I'm a fan. Of course, I have never actually seen one.

Paradigm is one I was thinking of ordering anyway. I have seen several posts from people in MN who have good luck with it.

Dhaven, I never thought of minis. I guess I always figured they would be the most fragile. I'm surprised they would do well in sun. Love to see your suggestions.

What about Fragrant Bouquet? Jon suggested that, and I actually bought one last summer. Its in my "what am I going to do with these" garden. Have any of you had that in a lot of sun?

Thank you all so much. I love planning gardens at this time of year. It's March 1st, so even in MN, spring can't be far away. Well, actually sometimes we get our worst storms in March, but I am trying to be optimistic.

• jamie81
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Jo, what a difference between your Cathedral Windows and the one McTavish posted! Yours still has beautiful color. I guess it depends on where you are located, but you wouldn't think there would be that much difference between the two of you.

Now you've really got me confused. (thats not very hard to do)

I guess the only way to know, is to give it a try. I am forever moving hosta. It drives my husband nuts. He has learned not to ask why I am doing it. He never likes my answer.

• dhaven
    8 years ago

You will like Plantaginea when it blooms. The flowers are 4 inches long and extremely fragrant. The hummingbirds adore Plantaginea and other large, fragrant hosta flowers, especially Fried Bananas.

It is generally thought that most hostas with very large, very fragrant flowers have Plantaginea in their background somewhere. Many have come through Fragrant Bouquet. In addition to Cathedral Windows, consider Guacamole, Stained Glass, Avocado, Fried Bananas, and Holy Moly among others. Cathedral Windows is a variety that has quite a range of coloring out of tissue culture starts. It is possible that the two different plants pictured are genetically slightly different, and react differently to more sun. Note that Josephine's gorgeous specimen gets 7 hours of sun a day, rather than full sun.

jamie81 thanked dhaven
  • jamie81
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I actually have a Holy Mole growing in almost all sun. I forgot all about it. I have to move it anyway since I didn't give it enough room when I planted it.....so, it might as well go there. I'm sure you are right about Plantaginea. Everyone seems to love it.

I would still like to hear about sun lovin minis tho when you have a chance.

• dhaven
    8 years ago

Some of the toughest, hardiest hostas are minis. There are of course quite a number of minis that are not good growers, and quite a few more that will be small to medium at maturity, even though they are sold as minis. But most minis are very good growers, and don't require any special treatment. Mine are all planted and then left to fend for themselves, and they do just fine.

Here is a list of some of the minis I grow in full sun. There are a great many more that get half sun or more, but these will all take full sun and thrive: Blue Cadet, Blue Boy, Tiny Tears, Hime, Venusta, Baby Bunting, Purple Lady Fingers, Little Wonder, Kifukurin Ko Mame, Blue Mouse Ears, Green Mouse Ears, Emerald Gem, Estrellita, Gracillima, Lemon Lime, Twist of Lime, Feather Boa, O'Harra, Ops, Allan P. McConnell, Tot Tot, Saishu Jima. Also the following Lakesides: Neat Petite (grows like a weed in full sun), Baby Face, Downsized, Dot Com, Lime Time, Little Gem, and Zinger.

Another excellent hosta for sun is Camelot, considered a medium, and the leaves are probably too large for mini status, but it stays low to the ground. It breaks all the rules about what does well in the sun, it's got very thick substance and it's blue, and it stays blue most of the summer. Not widely available, but a terrific hosta and worth seeking out.

jamie81 thanked dhaven
  • jamie81
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you. It will take me awhile, but I will look them up. I know nothing about the smaller hosta. I appreciate you taking the time to list them all..

I have more sun than I know what to do with now.

• toymr2mk2
    8 years ago

If it has been mentioned and I missed it I apologize........But what about Sun Power?

jamie81 thanked toymr2mk2
  • jamie81
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Toy, I have been trying to grow Sun Power in another part of my yard for the last three years. It looks pretty much like the day it was planted. Right now, its in sun from about noon on, so I don't think it would do better in full sun. It always looks so nice in other peoples gardens. Not sure if its the plant or where its planted.

• windymess z6a KC, Ks
    8 years ago

Great info dhaven, thanks.

8 years ago

Jamie, this ought to make you laugh.....see that little plant under my Cathedral Windows? That is Sun Power! I swear it has something against me, lol. It has been over three years but I think it is finally accepting that it will live in my garden. Maybe it will be happy this season, who knows?

jamie81 thanked josephines167 z5 ON Canada
  • windymess z6a KC, Ks
    8 years ago

I thought I wanted Sun Power for a sunny location, but now I'm thinking I'll go with Dancing Queen.

• jamie81
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks Jo, nice to know I am not alone. Misery loves company I guess. I am wondering if mine will even show up this year. If it doesn't I don't think I will try again.

I think mine hates me too.....

• mctavish6
    8 years ago

There might be another aspect to this full sun question. Jo's Cathedral Windows certainly has more color than mine ever did. Is that because her garden is southeast facing and loses sun by five or so in the evening? My garden in the pictures above is west facing and gets sun from mid afternoon on. It's very hot, we are on the side of a hill and the garden is exposed until after nine when the sun goes down.

In my picture above with Cathedral Windows and Stetson there is a small pointy light green plant between them. That is Plantaginea. It is ten years old. It has never done anything for me and never produces a flower. I assumed that it was because we have a shorter growing season in 4b.

Meanwhile I definitely recommend Fragrant Bouquet. The color doesn't wash out in full sun and it does flower. Here is a picture of it on the other side of Stetson (shown above in my first picture). I still don't know why Stetson manages to keep it's dark green color while others don't?

PS. I'd also recommend Frozen Margarita from the same family. It is sort of a grandchild from Fragrant Bouquet. It is lime green compared to apple green of Fragrant Bouquet . It also doesn't have wax so is shiny.

jamie81 thanked mctavish6
  • dhaven
    8 years ago

Sounds like Josephine's Sun Power and McTavish's Plantaginea are non-growers. I suggest digging them up, checking to see if there is any visible problem with the root systems that can be helped (snarled roots, or invasive tree roots, for example), then replant is a shady location in a hole with about a third compost and two thirds dirt, or a third peat moss and two thirds dirt, and if they haven't come around in another year or two, replace them. Some individual hostas are simply not 'good doers', regardless of variety or location. This seems to be a problem more common in tissue culture plants than in those split off from established clumps, but it can happen to any plant.

For those of you having issues with Sun Power, try it's sport Abba Dabba Do, a terrific grower, excellent in sun, readily available, and an outstanding addition to the garden. Or if you can find it, get a Dab A Green, which is the reverse sport of ADD, also a good grower and will take full sun. Not quite as fast to mature as ADD, and will probably mature a bit smaller, but a very beautiful hosta. This one came from Q&Z, and was a very unprepossessing baby hosta (think UGLY), not showing much of any variegation and with a blobby sort of leaf shape. It didn't sell well, and I don't think it was produced again. Some of them wound up in a grocery store nursery sale in my area, and once I found out the parentage, I grabbed up all 6 that they got in. They aren't mature yet, but look better every year.

jamie81 thanked dhaven
  • DelawareDonna Zone 7A
    8 years ago

I'm also partial to Frozen Margarita. I like its bright green apple color.

First year with first bloom -

I moved it to a sunnier location last year.

jamie81 thanked DelawareDonna Zone 7A
  • jamie81
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Mctavish, I think my garden is more like yours than Jo's. It faces southwest, and it doesn't have anything around it anymore, so its in the sun until the sun goes down. I had to laugh about your Plantaginea.....it gives me a reason not to get one. Dhaven almost had me convinced. I love my hummingbirds, but I still think its kind of ugly. But I was very happy to see your Fragrant Bouquet. I just bought it late last summer, it needs a home, so thats where it is going.

I think Sum and Substance, Fragrant Bouquet, and Holy Mole for that spot. I am also going to move Blue Mouse Ears to that area. Its the only mini I own, and right now its in a spot where something larger could live. I did not know it could take full sun.

As for Sun Power, that has me stumped. There are no tree roots in that bed, and the other plants around it, all new the same year are going great guns. I kept thinking it was just a dud plant, but then I remembered where I got it. Its not a little tc, its a division from a friends old Sun Power. Go figure. If it comes back, I will try a different spot, but it might be one for the trash.

Dhaven, I appreciate all the info. I am looking at other minis, and I actually have Abba Dabba Do coming this spring. Nice to know it was a good choice.

Donna, I agree Frozen Margarita is a beauty. Another one for the list.

8 years ago

McTavish, I actually have an angled northeasterly (not true north) sun exposure for Cathedral Windows. It gets sun from sun-up till around 3:00, then as the sun swings around to the front of the house that area is shaded, then around 5:00 it comes back around from the other side as it assumes its westerly setting. I believe that is why there is so much colour to the hosta. There is no area that does not get sun.

In my second last house, I actually had true North exposure at the front - the sun never hit the front door...I had lovely hostas, heucheras and dicentra growing like they were on steroids!

Now as to the Fragrant Bouquet...it gets direct sun (easterly and westerly exposure) from around 11:00 am the entire afternoon including setting sun with no break. The colour is much paler than if it grew in shade. Here's a look at it. I am content with the colour I guess. It was new last year so I will be observing it this year to see if it gets washed out too much from the sun. It remains in a pot and I just rotated it from time to time.

I love the vigour the hostas gain grown in more sun. A couple may get a little singed here and there (like my Plantaginea ) but they end up being more robust. It's a trade-off - vigour for looks but it's getting better each year. Eventually the hostas settle in and burn less and less.

A lot of my hostas take on a golden tone from all that sun - the only "shady" spot I have is on either sides of the house and shade doesn't last that long. The northwest side is the friendliest for hostas here where the heat from the sun is least intensive. Even my eastern exposure has prolonged sun - from sun-up till around 1:30-2:00.

My neighbour in the back was selling her house this past summer. A drone took pictures while I was outdoors at the time. My house is the second one looking from the left - you can see a green/white umbrella in the photo and forsythias lining the driveway. Interesting view...see the shady areas on either sides of house? That's it - that is my shade and my one small tree in back to the right of green/white umbrella. Good old suburbia.

Dhaven, I think my Sun Power was a scrawny liner and it has taken three years for it to grow. Nothing untoward happening at root level - just a lazy hosta. It is in sun and it has definitely grown a bit this past year. It is fuller and leaves are longer. I have hopes it will continue to grow. I can only dream of a large, luscious looking hosta with gorgeous waves like some of those beauties in the Alphabet, sigh.

• ConnieMay ON Z6a
    8 years ago

Very cool perspective pic Josephine.

Reading the comments on Sun Power led me to wonder if this hosta actually prefers part-sun...I checked the various online descriptions and the say "will brighten up any shade location" and the Hosta Library description says "Part Sun to Light Shade". I googled pictures of Sun Power and I don't see sun loving companion plants beside the large specimens. I suspect that it can tolerate sunnier places without looking completely washed out, but looks best and grows best in part sun...

• windymess z6a KC, Ks
    8 years ago

Jo - Just looking at the photo in general, I can tell that a skilled gardener lives in that house! Wow - you clearly must have the lovliest property in the neighborhood!

8 years ago

Yes Jo Fragrant Bouquet is such a great one.

That is quite the perspective indeed and by a drone non the less. We have had people take aerial pics and they have come by with huge framed photos for huge money. We have always passed.

I grew up in a city but I have become completely countrified. I am really torn - part of me thinks that Google maps, aerial photos by plane or drone is awesome and the other part is horrified by the utter lack of privacy.

p.s. I totally agree with windymess!

• windymess z6a KC, Ks
    8 years ago

Agreed peren, but I'm afraid we date ourselves when we talk of privacy LOL.

8 years ago

So true windymess lol!

8 years ago

Windymess and peren.all - thank you for the compliment.

I was gardening that day and am actually in the picture in my pjs.....talk about a surprise when I first heard the sound! I took a photo of it. Never having seen a drone before I didn't know what to make of it. The photo I posted above, among others was available through MLS so I pooched one since my property (and I) was in it, lol.

I took this iPad photo once I realized this was a "camera in the sky", lol.

When I first moved in, it was apparent that I was the only gardener around. We had dandelions galore, weedy lawns, and no gardens...just the odd non-descript shrub here and there.

I am pleased to say that over the years the neighbourhood has improved - 80% less dandelions, greener lawns.....and - more gardens! A few of the houses are rentals so when someone new expresses an interest in my garden, I immediately offer them some of my perennials. (ulterior motive on my part - encourage tenants/residents to enjoy and look after their properties and get into gardening/beautifying their surroundings. It's a win/win.) ;-)

Perhaps one of these days I'll move so I can have more space in which to garden....it is a goal of mine. I'd say that I have close to two to three times more the number of plants than this property can hold.

8 years ago

ConnieMay, you make good points re Sun Power. I wonder if it is a hosta which hates to be moved? I've done that and wonder if that is why it never got bigger -transplant shock perhaps? Not too many hostas I know are divas but there are some that just do not like being disturbed...like GE for instance (in my garden).

• teuth
    6 years ago

Bumping a post from last year, because my crispy Guacamole has made me curious about which hostas not only tolerate sun, but also look good.

This area gets sun from about 8 til 4 in the summer. Guac is in a
    buried plastic pot and has been getting a drink from the hose every
    other day, sometimes every day.

It's growing well and is much
    bigger than last season, but I'm not happy with how it's crisping up and
    how the colour contrast has faded (this photo looks a bit better than
    typical reality, due to golden hour timing and my phone's auto colour
    correction).

So, I'm going to move it so that I can enjoy Guac's
    true colours. I will try putting June in its place. The baby Atlantis
    to the right can stay for now...I'll see if it keeps good colours when it's bigger.

I really liked McTavish's comment about the performance of Cathedral Windows vs Stetson. Would love to hear about other hostas that people have found to be ugly vs pretty in the sun.

• ninamarie
    6 years ago

Golden Waffles flourishes here in light. King Tut also grows in full light here and never gets burned. Of those recommended, I grew Squash Casserole in sun and it did burn.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    6 years ago

I have a smaller area along the southwest corner of my house that gets considerable sun most of the afternoon and really gets blasted with hot Kansas "killer" sun in late afternoon (garden zone 6).

The hosta I have grown successfully in that spot have mostly been named above: in the larger sizes, Cathedral Windows (wonderful coloring); Planteginea (Aprodite, I think); Paradigm; Fragrant Bouquet; Paisley Print; and a really old (and big) unidentified hosta that I'm guessing might be Undulata Albomarginata.

I also have the smaller Rainforest Sunrise (love it) and a couple of the "Mouse" hosta (one is Blue Mouse Ears I think, the other is unknown by has dramatic color contrasts and seems a bit smaller). None of this last group is listed as sun tolerant, but they are growing fine in the same area.

The secret is lots of water. Fragrant Bouquet, especially, will burn on the edges if it gets too dry.

Hope that helps.

Kate