SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
smalloldhouse_gw

Window seat cushion goof

smalloldhouse_gw
8 years ago

I've been redecorating our living room as a kind of project creep from a small kitchen reno about 18 months ago. In the past year I've replaced the couches, rug, coffee table, overhead lighting, throw pillows, still working on some art. (Also got a bigger TV for the wall that is not visible below.)

I'm mostly very happy with the big purchases. But along the way I've screwed up some details. The latest is a new window seat cushion that I ordered after testing at least 25 different fabrics including w/feedback here. It arrived yesterday and I'm not so thrilled. It feels too matchy color-wise with the rug, and way too dominant - like a big pinkish red slash through the room. Plus it's a lot puffier than I expected. I ordered a 4" thick cushion, which was probably overkill to begin with, and at least right now it's sitting about 5.5" thick.

Any suggestions on how to downplay it? Would painting the cabinetry underneath / beside the window seats help (I've toyed with the idea of trying to match the greige cabinets in our adjoining galley kitchen)? Are there any throw pillows that might mitigate it a bit? Should a custom cushion flatten out over time even it it doesn't see a ton of use? Alternatively should I see if I could get a slipcover sewn to replace it (can't be as much as ordering a whole new cushion, right?)

Comments (17)