SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cziga

Make your own chili powder

cziga
8 years ago

I would love to make my own chili powder. I've been thinking about it for years, and this is the year lol! I know that the best chili powders are made with a combination of several dried/ground peppers to get the most depth of flavour.

These are the peppers I was thinking of using. I'd love any comments or suggestions on the selection, as well as on the proportions of each. I tend to like the smokier, earthier tasting spices, and nothing too hot. I chose "mild" chili peppers on purpose, I am a big wuss lol. I love the flavour, but can't take much heat.

Peppers:

Pasilla Bajio - main base for the chili powder (smoky and earthy)

+

Chimayo – also smoky, mild

Guajillo - fruity and sweet, medium heat

Alma Paprika - sweet and tangy, mild

Aji Amarillo – fruity/citrusy, medium-moderate heat

I figured the majority of any heat would come from the Aji Amarillo. I have only ever grown 2 of the 5, so I'd love comments. I figured I'd use the most of the Pasilla Bajio peppers, slightly less (and equal) amounts of the Chimayo, Guajillo and Alma Paprika, and then a little less of the Aji Amarillo.

Do you think that might be a good blend for homemade chili powder? Am I missing any glaringly obvious choices, should I consider other peppers? When you make your own chili powder, what peppers do you use? Thank you so much for any advice!! :)

Comments (16)

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus