SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
katherine_martin18

Oxalis overtaking Oakland yard

Katherine Martin
8 years ago

Hi! I have just started renting a living space with a yard and I have big plans for vegetables and flowers in the back, but we have a major oxalis problem. The entire yard was covered for the 3 months we were settling in. I have pulled nearly all of the Oxalis - quite an ordeal! but I understand that the problem with oxalis is in the roots and they also have tons of bulbs for each plant. The Oxalis is very well established and I can see the neighbors have it too.

I am planning to do raised beds and mulch the walkways between the beds with cardboard and tree mulch from arborers.

I really don't want oxalis to get into my garden beds, so I've been trying to dig it out in the areas where I am planning to build the beds. There are so many carrot like roots, they're huge!

I was thinking I'd do a weedblock sheet on the bottom of the raised beds and then maybe cardboard or newspaper on the top of the beds with mulch on top of that with holes for where the seedlings will be.

Has anyone had any success with keeping oxalis down and out of garden beds? I don't care too too much if the oxalis is on the outside of the beds, I can just pull it up then but if its in my garden beds I will be unhappy. is there anything you could suggest to keep the oxalis out besides weedblock fabric? and 3rd question what is your experience with weedblock fabric? does it work well in garden beds?

Comments (10)