SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
maxima9

Help! Is my new Neolith countertops cut and installed wrong? See pic.

maxima9
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

We are going through a year-long major rehabilitation of our 1940 house and living in it. Anything that can go wrong has gone wrong, extensive mold, water, termite damages, knob and tube wiring, galvanized pipes, plaster walls, no insulation, etc. It's been really taxing on my spirit when work is already crazy, and our contractor sucks and most subs disappeared or don't show. 50% over budget so far. Hubby has a 3-hour commute daily so he is no help. I'm handling the entire project.

Finally had Neolith Calacatta 12 mm countertops installed in kitchen and all bathrooms today from an authorized fabricator who is not part of our contractor's crew. After installers left, I noticed most of the mitered edge overhangs do not butt right up to the edge of cabinets. Instead, there's half an inch gap away from the cabinets.

It's late so I don't want to call the fabricator now. Found Neolith official installation instructions and it says "Standard cabinet frames are 60 cm deep with 1.5 cm to 2.5 cm thick doors." We have inset cabinets and vanities that doors are flush to the frames and do not stick out. The kitchen peninsula and all bathroom vanity counters have the half inch gap. But the smaller 2 counters next to stove did not have the gap, which is what I want. See pictures.

Did my fabricator cut and installed wrong? I really feel like crying at this point. Thanks in advance.

Can't figure how to post photo, so I saved it in my idea book below:

http://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/31329842/thumbs/kitchen-ideas

Comments (19)