SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amck2

If You Were Replacing Furnishings In This Room.....

amck2
8 years ago

Except for the piano.. What would you do?

Keep in mind that it's a LR that flows in an open plan from the kitchen keeping area. The front door leads to a center staircase behind the sofa wall.

Would you get another sofa and loveseat? The rocking chair has sentimental value and is from the 1930's, but I could store it.

The room is mostly used by me for reading (that's why the ottoman is pushed so close to the sofa - I forgot to pull it back for the pic) and when we entertain family during visits & holidays.

DH usually reads & relaxes in our TV room but said he'd enjoy the LR and fireplace more if he had a comfortable chair. After our holidays at DS's home (where DH loved the vintage tufted leather chair) I was on a quest for a leather club style chair & ottoman for him.

Now I'm thinking it's time for an overhaul but I'm having a hard time unseeing what's been there for 14 yrs.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Comments (25)

• robo (z6a)
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Do you think there is enough room for two matching club chairs where the loveseat is? Do you ever end up with two people on the loveseat? Does anyone ever sit in the rocking chair? If you had extra family during the holidays, do you pull in chairs from the dining room?

amck2 thanked robo (z6a)
  • amck2
    Original Author
    8 years ago

It would be tight with 2 average sized club chairs in the loveseat area, especially if they had matching ottomans. I know there are downsize versions of leather club chairs that might work, but they would not be comfortable for DH. He is trim but tall & leggy. In fact, we are almost opposite in what we find comfortable because of our builds. I'm 5'2" w/ short legs. We did go furniture shopping over the weekend and found 2 sofa styles that worked for both of us.

DH does sometimes sit in the rocker. I never do. During the holidays the kitchen & keeping room are where people generally gather. They're at the island - where we usually keep 4 stools but can fit 6 - and on the wicker sofa which fits 3 adults. The piano bench is swung around for 2 more. After dinners if we head into the LR, the wicker sofa is easily swung to face the LR. That accommodates a dozen people there before we have to bring in chairs from the DR. By that time the kids usually head to the TV room to play.

I just received a catalog that showed 4 swivel upholstered chairs with a round ottoman centered on the FP. That got me thinking about whether we really want another sofa. Then I thought about 2 matching loveseats facing each other with a coffee table - again centered on the FP.

The question is whether I should furnish the room primarily for us, DH & me, or for when we entertain company. If it's just for us, I think I should find a way to get DH his nice leather chair. But I can just see us getting it and he will still end up on the sectional in the TV room...

Most of our entertaining in warm months takes place at the lake. But Thanksgiving & Christmas here is a big deal for my family, especially when DS & Fam visit from overseas and stay with us for 2 wks.

I am conflicted, obviously. But now that we've acknowledged that the sofa & loveseat have seen their best days I feel we have to replace them with something sooner than later.

• Related Discussions

Show me how you furnished a "real life" LR or family room!

Q

Comments (58)
    Thanks to the posters who complimented our FR! We are very happy with the way it turned out and really enjoy hanging out down there, watching TV with the fireplace going. I popped in to reply--first chance I had after reading our comments, but It's too late for me to really look at the wonderful rooms posted since I posted mine. Mental note to savor them tomorrow!!!
    ...See More

Multiple rooms to be furnished

Q

Comments (1)
    Yes, the first 3 things on your list can be done by an interior designer. Or go to the Home Decorating forum and get free advice. Master sink remodeled: Does this mean replace a bathroom vanity? That's a pretty simple task. Buy the vanity and find a handyman to install it. Downstairs remodeled: need more info. What rooms are we talking about, and how extensive of a remodel?
    ...See More

Need help furnishing/arranging furniture for pie shaped room

Q

Comments (1)
    Thanks everyone for taking time to read our post :)!
    ...See More

How to furnish this large room with no wall space?

Q

Comments (18)
    I think the best place for the tv is to the left of the fireplace. Because of the large opening on the left, chairs would be better on the right. I want to be honest with you: there are challenging angles in the room and having the extra angles where the wood is, just makes it more challenging. What do you think of putting the wood bin under the window and then filling in the angled area. Is there a carpenter in the house? The cabinets on the left side look nice.
    ...See More
  • l pinkmountain
    8 years ago

My parents got two matching mission style recliners in their living room. The nice part about getting a recliner is that they are super comfortable but they can either be upright when you have guests and they are sitting up and interacting with each other, or you can stretch them out when you want to veg out and "recline," Also, then you don't have the ottoman issue, the foot rest folds away when not in use so doesn't take up space or have a visual presence when not in use.

amck2 thanked l pinkmountain
  • ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    8 years ago

I have the feeling that you really like neutrals, but to warm up this room and give it more life I would buy a rug with brighter colors, perhaps terra cotta and beige, assuming you'll be buying beige furnishings again or will keep the sofa. I would then find a different painting for over the mantel to harmonize with the rug and make the mantel area look less pale. Obviously if you adore neutrals you're going to want to ignore this advice, but even something not too wild, like a soft terra cotta, would really add warmth to this room. A few pillows in that same color would pull it all together. The love seat looks too large for this room, unless you can pull the couch closer to the piano and place the love seat further in. I would perhaps substitute a small club chair for the rocker to make that corner look more cozy and soft (since you have no drapes) and would pick either terracotta or a soft green,for the chair, which I think would really rock this room without being too far outside your comfort zone. Your couch and love seat still look very good from the pictures, and I hate to discard something for no good reason, and of course that style will never be dated.

amck2 thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
  • amck2
    Original Author
    8 years ago

"I have the feeling that you really like neutrals" Ingrid_vc, you have me pegged!

I really do love a neutral pallet. But my photos read more bland than the room feels IRL. The upholstered pieces and Roman shades are monochromatic but the fabric has tone-on-tone texture. I change the art & mantel decor seasonally. In winter months I have a print with red and gold hues - much warmer than the spring tulips in the pic above. The rug, though not vibrant, has a lovely pattern and an array of colors in it. This shot better represents that.

It actually has a lot of the terra cot shades you suggest.

I agree a leather chair where the rocker is would be a good spot to lend a cozy feel. And I can see a single upholstered chair being better sized than the loveseat on the other side.

I really like my sofa. The fabric on the seat cushions is getting worn but it's in great shape structurally. I don't generally like skirted upholstery but the tailored box pleats on these pieces add some softness to my penchant for spare decorating. We didn't come across anything like ours in the showrooms of the 2 furniture stores we went to last week. The styles on the floor were either fussier florals, rustic country or tailored modern. Made me like my old sofa even more.

The tipping point for replacing it is whether I'd be embarrassed to have someone outside family or close friends use it (like DH's boss) and the answer to that is Yes. It's time to replace it and the loveseat.

Thank you for the responses and suggestions thus far.

• rosesstink
    8 years ago

should (I) furnish the room primarily for us, DH & me, or for when we entertain company.

I don't think a chair is a family only option. I am a chair person. I'd want to sit in DH's club chair if I were your guest. Without the ottoman. So consider getting two chairs and one ottoman. The ottoman could be pushed away from the chair and used as an extra seat when you have guests. I also like sitting in rocking chairs so I'd keep yours but add a small table next it so people have a place to set down a drink or whatever.

amck2 thanked rosesstink
    8 years ago

That carpet is wonderful, no way would I want you to replace that! These colors simply weren't visible on your other photos. As for your couch, if you look online, you can still find a couch like that. The one we just bought is very similar except that the back has fixed cushions. Come to think of it, the one in my living room is exactly like yours, except that your material is prettier.

Your ottoman, I'm afraid, is all too boxy and dark. Something round in a lighter color would actually make your room look larger, I think. I really wish you would consider a small club chair with material and maybe get really daring and pick up the terra cotta color of your carpet. It can have a fairly pale hue, just still not be beige. I was a "neutral" person for many years and I think it was a way of being safe, but I gradually broke out of that zone. You would only be repeating a color that is in the carpet. By the way, cute doggie!

• amck2
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks, Ingrid_vc, I will keep an open mind and consider more color when I shop for new pieces.

You are right about the ottoman. If you look at the right side of the rug photo you'll catch a glimpse of the nice coffee table we usually have there. It is much more fitting with curved aged brass legs, a mahogany surround that goes with the rocker & piano, and a beveled glass top that lets the beautiful rug show through.

We switched it out for the storage ottoman when my 1 1/2 yr. old granddaughter came to stay with us for 2 wks. The ottoman was safer and we stashed her toys in it. I found I liked using it as a footrest when reading and I keep a couple cozy throws in it. It's functional and handy but, I agree, not the best look.

8 years ago

Oh yes, that's beautiful, but I can totally understand why you would not want a little one around it, much too dangerous. With some new soft furnishings your room will be stunning.

• ldstarr
    8 years ago

See if you have a Sherrill furniture dealer near you. They offer lots of sofas, club chairs etc in the more traditional styles.

amck2 thanked ldstarr
  • starnold
    8 years ago

I love the shape of your sofa, the rounded arms and cushions hint at the comfort of an overstuffed piece, but the tailored skirt makes it look trim and modern; if its in great shape why not reupholster? Then add two upholstered swivel rockers, one to replace the loveseat and one where the rocker sits. And keep the ottoman, a tray on it when you need a coffee table makes it so practical and leaves you the option to use it when you read. Color-wise darker choices for the upholstered pieces will anchor the room and add more visual interest, you can pull them from the carpet's color pallet.

amck2 thanked starnold
  • amykath
    8 years ago

I really like the way your room looks as it is now. I would probably pull the ottoman out further from the sofa and add a painting over the sofa instead of a mirror. I think the room looks so fresh and bright yet still cozy. I also love your rocking chair where it is now. It is simple yet makes a statement. The only thing I might change (if in person it seems crowded) would be the loveseat to a single upholstered larger arm chair.

Lovely home you have!

amck2 thanked amykath
  • amck2
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you for responses & suggestions. Here are some pics I saved from last year when we first considered making changes. jlc12's post reminded me of the first one that shows a console table in front of a window. I wouldn't have it so heavily decorated. I thought the two stools underneath would work for additional seating.

The second shows the 2 loveseats in front of the fireplace. I wouldn't do the console table behind.

This was a fabric I thought might be good for a single chair. It goes against my usual solid color style for furnishings but might be along the lines of what Ingrid suggests. Your thoughts on these?

• Peppapoodle
    8 years ago

I'm no help what so ever........but I wanted to tell you on another thread how lovely, calm, and serene your home seems:)

amck2 thanked Peppapoodle
  • Anne CK
    8 years ago

Your room is lovely now - and in thinking about what you have and what you initially talked about adding (2 club chairs) - have you thought about removing the sofa? (I can just feel the protests coming - but wait!) I like your sofa very much, but I always flash back to what my mother says, that 3 people sofas in a formal living space mean that someone gets the dud seat. Loveseats are more practical for that use.

Of course, this doesn't take into account if you need the seating, or regularly lay on the sofa - so this is more a general thought. You could - depending on the space, replace the sofa with the chairs, or move the love seat to where the sofa is, and have more space for the chairs?

I apologize in advance if this is extremely unpopular - I was just having thoughts myself on a formal space and a sofa myself, so wanted to poll GW anyway!

amck2 thanked Anne CK
  • patty Vinson
    8 years ago

The first thing I noticed about your room is how sunny and bright it is, and the warm tan of the walls only adds to that sunny look! I'm a lover of neutrals also, and although I like brighter colors in other people's homes, find comfort in a neutral pallet. Imo, your home should accommodate yourself and DH, but of course should also have additional seating, though not necessarily large items. I have the exact ottomans, but they're black, as those in the first picture. I debated on putting them in front of the fireplace, but they ended up in front of the sofa(like your ottoman!), a more typical place. They definitely get used, even by my sil/nephew, neither of which are small men. I have two large-ish slipper chairs in the room also, and feel they're a little wider on the seat than clubs, plus having no arms, IMO can fit any butt easier. LOL

amck2 thanked patty Vinson
  • amck2
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks for the nice comments about my room. I love the sense of serenity of the soft colors. I know it's a different strokes thing and some, like my sister, are uplifted by more color in their rooms, but this suits me. It also works through the 4 distinct seasons we get here. I can warm things up in the winter with wooly throws and a different mantel arrangement, but still have it feel fresh and airy in summer months.

Fall mantel

But since I do have to replace these 2 upholstered pieces I'm brainstorming.

Anne CK brings up the big question for me. Does the only formal (& I use the term loosely) LR in the house need a sofa? No one naps on ours, except the dogs, and since there's no TV here no one reclines or lounges on it. Perhaps a loveseat (or 2) would fit better in this space than full sofa.

Here is another pic I saved that shows a possible arrangement with a sofa & 2 chairs

• robo (z6a)
    8 years ago

This is kind of what I was thinking about with my questions about how the room is used. Since your husband has a preference of chair, I think it makes sense that you set up the room in a way that will benefit you two the most. Especially since you do have adjacent seating that can be pulled in if needed. I would have one piece of furniture that is very comfortable for him, one that is very comfortable for you (whether a loveseat or chair) and make up a plan using those two items (and additional furniture as needed depending on those two items).

Your room is lovely! I do happen to love your rocking chair as well.

amck2 thanked robo (z6a)
  • lngreen
    8 years ago

Just a warning: If you choose to do 4 swivel chairs and like things lined up and in their place, swivel chairs are a bad choice. Swivels never look neat and tidy. They are always turned in a direction that was not intended when they have been used and look haphazard, to say the least. My husband loves ours, but they drive me nuts!

amck2 thanked lngreen
  • amck2
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Ingreen, good heads up on that! DH liked a swivel rocker he tried last week, so that style is in the running. But I know myself well enough to admit it would drive me crazy to have them facing every which way. And you just got me thinking of how the grandkids would probably always be twirling in them like the teacup amusement ride!

• lngreen
    8 years ago

Oh you are so right! Grandchildren LOVE them!

amck2 thanked lngreen
  • Yayagal
    8 years ago

I think you have a lovely home and the couch is just fine, I like them. If it were me, I'd have my husband choose a chair that he likes and put it in the room which means the rocking chair would have to leave but you can always find a place for it. Kitchen or bedroom?

amck2 thanked Yayagal
  • robo (z6a)
    8 years ago

My godchildren LOVE my swivel chairs! I let them go to town on them.

amck2 thanked robo (z6a)
  • shivers20
    8 years ago

If its in the budget, purchase two accent chairs. Place one accent chair where the rocker is and place the other chair next to it.

Timothy De Clue Design · More Info

amck2 thanked shivers20