SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cbmullen

Need Strong Cleaner That Won't Harm Plastic

cbmullen
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

My wife and stepson are Chinese and almost everything they cook involves soybean oil, vegetable oil and canola oil. The outside of my over the range microwave has accumulated a seemingly unremovable film of oil, appx. one sixteenth of an inch thick, maybe less. This oil film is on the bottom of the microwave, from oil used during cooking on the range top, and on the top of the microwave near the exhaust vents. I can't seem to remove this oil regardless of the household cleaners I have tried. I've used rough surfaced sponges, metal scouring pads and everything in between. Nothing seems to work. I'm looking for a very strong oil/grease remover that won't harm plastic surfaces. Does anyone have any suggestions? I don't need suggestions such as "clean it every time cooking is completed" because that is always done. When it comes to cleanliness they demand immaculately clean homes. It's their culture.

If I can't find a suitable cleaner I'll simply replace the microwave with a new one, a microwave made of metal on the outside. I may do that anyway because my current microwave oven vents the exhaust into the kitchen instead of through the roof to the outside air as it should. If I replace it I'll vent the exhaust outside the home as it should have been done initially when the house was built. The many ways home builders have learned to "save a buck" always amazes me.

Comments (17)