GET IDEAS
SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
moccasinlanding

Is anybody out there?

Moccasin
5 years ago

Hi there from Mobile Alabama.

Remember me? Moccasin? My remodel planned so long is theoretically completed, and yes there is life after a big redo.

Take it from me, time invested in planning is better for the results in the long run. Something you think you cannot live without? After a while, reason prevails, and you come to some hard choices, like fore-going a part of the project that could change the curb appeal with a new entry, and you opt instead for simple (but sometimes costly) alterations instead....that won't require a new roofline, for instance.

In the case of our new entryway, I'd put it into the original plan as a sacrificial lamb anyway...it was there to be removed, knowing full well that the job was more costly than what my husband (DH) imagined it to be. I had no intention of holding back even a tiny bit on the REAL purpose of this remodel, to give a better kitchen, an updated electrical/plumbing/natural gas/water/roof/insulation situation along with a better floor plan. For a smaller home to work for us two older folks, we needed accessible storage, room for our extensive books which we had no intention of paring down---sometimes, you know what pleases you, and you must plan for it.

Given all that, and no knowledge of building code for our city....and being in a hurricane zone requiring special insurance considerations, construction and design required the services of an architect. Our general contractor had completed two separate projects earlier for us. First was the addition of a master bath and a master walking closet, turning the 2nd bedroom into a master suite. The second project was really big, restoring our devastated cement block garage into my Teahouse/Studio. Bobby did a lot of cement work there, taking out the tree roots which had split the cement slab and the cinder block walls, repouring the foundation, repairing damaged cinderblocks, inserting steel rods in the blocks, and then pouring all the walls full of cement. Then he added an insulated standing seam metal roof to the rebuilt structure. I asked for a loft accessed by a spiral metal staircase, so the open eaves in the rest of the Teahouse could be open. Allowing my parrots to fly in there where it was safe and secure from predators.

This does not mention my garden out back, behind the Teahouse. To have it, our neighbor allowed us to buy 25 feet x 100 ft (width) of her deep lot, and that was some years ago now. I love that very private space, and keep hostas there. Star jasmine now covers the 7 foot tall chain link fence surrounding this garden space, and it is a natural evergreen private area. This last week, two very messy dying pecan trees were removed, so I must return my hostas to their proper spots before spring arrives.

Always something, right? A home is a living thing. That's the way seashells are, the resident keeps adding to them, as long as there is life. Only dead shells stop growing or changing. That is the way I feel about my home, about life itself. Life IS CHANGE. You never know what will change next.

Hi, my friends. It is good to be back HOME.

Moccasin

Comments (102)

• shelayne
    5 years ago

Ooooh, Moccasin, your home is absolutely CHARMING! I love your Berta, and your whole kitchen is so pretty! I am also loving your bath pics. And then there are the arched louvered doors-- LOVE!! White Dove is perfectly lovely! Thank you for sharing. Now-- more pix please!

Moccasin thanked shelayne
  • Moccasin
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Such enthusiasm is heartwarming. Thank you all for your kind remarks. I agree with your "there's done and DONE." and Debbie, your toast is worth remembering:

"...here's to all of us who love our smaller homes--may be someday be done, but never finished!" I'll drink to that! :)

More pictures to follow...presently still dealing with the fiasco of phone service mixed up in the Internet connection and I'm switching back and forth on modems and routers, and just totally disheartened and confused to boot. Maybe one day things will be normal around here again.

• Related Discussions

Hello - anybody out there ?

Q

Comments (3)
    The forums were down for some twenty four hours here. I was sad!
    ...See More

Anybody out there?

Q

Comments (7)
    This post caught my eye because I have written a song titled "Anybody Out There?" It's not posted on my web sites yet but you can hear some of my music at http://www.sonicbids.com/eddierhoades. I have been a Master Gardener for 30 years now in Marietta, Georgia which is near Atlanta. My special interests are Yard Art, Soil Amending and my favorite: Edible Landscaping. I have planted and hope they bear this year: fuzzless kiwi, pomegranate, blueberries, pineapple guava, pawpaws, plums, mayhaws, figs, seedless American persimmons, large non-astringent Asian persimmon, mulberries, jujubes, English walnut, muscadines and more. I often speak for state Master Gardener Conferences - Mississippi is coming up this month. I am currently working on my second CD of my original songs and they are sounding fantastic. I even have a gardening song out there called "Green Man." So you can see I am staying busy. Am I happy? Sometimes, but at least I am busy. My goal is to get a song on the radio or sung by a popular recording artist. That's for my music. For my garden I hope to pack it with edibles of those I named plus vegetables, annuals, perennials, bulbs, vines and shrubs. I want a lawn so small I can mow it in 15 minutes and I'm almost there. I hope to someday get caught up and work on my gardening book which is on hold at present. I also plan to exercise more but that doesn't seem to happen. I am involved in several projects with the local Master Gardener organization such as the Demo Garden, the Nature Garden, fruit orchard, Teaching gardening classes for 30 seniors every Spring and more. I try to find humor in life. Just yesterday I was driving to a Master Gardener meeting when I passed through a school zone that said "speed limit 25 miles per hour." So I sped up. Here is a link that might be useful: my personal website
    ...See More

Anybody Out There?

Q

Comments (2)
    Nice shots, Eric...Looks like your getting along with your new cam pretty well!
    ...See More

Anybody out there have luck with Rhodos in Southern Arkansas?

Q

Comments (9)
    I am in Pennsylvania, but there are a number of people in your area growing rhododendrons. The areas in the Red River valley and the Mississippi valley are probably hotter and more of a challenge for rhododendrons but OK for some azaleas. However the hills in between would be suitable for a number of varieties of rhododendrons, especially the R. hyperythrum hybrids that were bred for the Southern US. The American Rhododendron Society has a list of rhododendrons that do well in Arkansas at http://rhododendron.org/alphalist1.asp?PP=OZ. This list includes some very hardy varieties that do well in both heat and cold. The ARS also has a Rhododendron of the Year program that has a South Central section that should include your area at: http://rhododendron.org/roy15sc.htm. If you look at the bottom of the page, you can see the selections for previous years dating back over 10 years. I would guess the earlier selections are the more obvious choices and the more recent are perhaps more marginal. In any case, there are people near you growing rhododendrons. They probably are using very good drainage since root rot thrives in hot areas, and some "high shade" to cut the impact of the summer sun. Three varieties have the unique characteristic of being Heat & Cold and Sun & Shade Tolerant: Boule de Neige, Nova Zembla and most PJM varieties. One hyperythrum hybrid that has proven reliable in your area is Peppermint Twist: Peppermint Twist – 4', -15F. It has red buds, opening to rose pink flowers, with red flecks in the throat and a white circle in the throat that slowly grows larger each day. Just as attractive as the flowers is the glossy dark green foliage, that is held for three years on a vigorous, but compact, plant. Good Luck!
    ...See More
  • Moccasin
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Oh yeah. Something funny you will all appreciate.

I put my cast iron wok on the bottom shelf of the small kitchen cart. A friend gave me 6 nice fresh sweet potatoes, so I stuck them in the wok. I thought no more about it. Well, I heard this gnawing sound coming from the one dog crate I keep in my bedroom, and look. Tail sticking out, head buried deep inside and adoring a half consumed sweet potato, was Dolly, my younger dachshund girl. So we were down to FIVE potatoes. Well about two days later, I am sitting at the dining table and I hear something fall on the floor in the kitchen. I cast an eye in that direction. A little black tail is visible on the far side of the kitchen cart, and it is very clandestine in filching a SECOND sweet potato from the wok. She dropped it, of course. But I did not move. She stood very still, and then silently on little tippy toes, she leaves the kitchen with her back turned toward me. A few minutes later, I tiptoe to the door and look at the dog crate, and once again, she presents her tail end out the open crate. I think sweet taters keep her teeth clean. I told DH when he saw skinny sweet taters, to bring some home for the dogs. It is very high in Vitamin A. I plan to cook the other 4 pretty soon. :)

• desertsteph
    5 years ago

" phone service mixed up in the Internet connection and I'm switching back and forth on modems and routers, and just totally disheartened and confused to boot. Maybe one day things will be normal around here again."

I feel your pain... went thru a phone wiring problem (theirs) last summer and then again last month (theirs again/cable cut at a construction site down the road) - but in each I didn't realize immediately if them or me. in the past, I could deal with it all easily enough. not anymore. it totally frustrated me and my thinking - and hands /fingers don't work like they used to. this last time I thought 'why do I have to deal with this stuff?' - well, because it's just me here... but I did remember that I could take my phone out to the post and plug it in there to find out if them or me. then I had to figure out how to open the box at the post (he put a new box on last summer - he told me how to open the new ones, but I'm gonna remember that? no!) I did figure that out and it was them. then I had to get dressed half ways decent and walk over to the neighbors to call the ph company. such a bummer and hassle I wasn't up to. but did it and by late that day my phone and internet were working again.

but since then my internet has cut out fairly often. about a week ago I broke down and called the phone co to complain. of course, they said it wasn't them and I needed to get a new modem. bummer again. However, I did notice that the next day and since, my internet has rarely cut out on me. maybe twice for a few minutes vs - every hr or so for 15 min or more... that last day before I called them, it'd been out for several hours. We've become so dependent on these things. I totally dread the idea of getting a new modem/router and trying to reconnect everything. I'm even dreading putting new ink cartridges in my printer!

but this stuff is just extra trauma to me. I just want things to work like they're supposed to, me included! (ok, we ain't getting me to work like I did in the past for sure.)

that's funny about your Dolly. She smelled something yummy! it's good for them tho. yesterday I bought 2 carrots at the store to chop up for my girl. she loves them.

in other new here, Jed stopped by for a few minutes and brought the dresser inside. It's supposed to rain tomorrow. i'll be out there shortly bringing in other things. He had to come in and move the other dresser back aways from the front door area to make room for the new/smaller one. I'd tried to even push the other one over an inch or 2 and no luck. it was like it was glued to the floor. But Jed came in and moved it over about a foot very easily. I'm such a wimp anymore! then he went outside lifted up the other dresser and hauled it up the steps. just with his hands and brute strength. call him the Hulk!

another time he'll move them to their final resting space... he thinks he'll be by Tuesday for a short time - but Tues I'll need him to fix the leaking toilet first and the leaking pipe outside 2nd first... the toilet isn't running and isn't leaking out around it, but I hear a tinkling sound - and my water tank has gone down considerably in just a few days. I bought a new flapper at W yesterday and put it on, but that wasn't it... probably just a minor adjustment but if I attempt it I'm likely to have water spouting all over the bathroom. I just shut the pump off. I can always turn it on for a short time to get water if I need it. I prefilled a few jugs in case I need water. I don't drink or cook with this water. I buy water out for that - and then run it thru a filter here.

Moccasin thanked desertsteph
  • Moccasin
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Steph, I had not given much thought to water supply out there in the desert where you live. But now I realize it is a serious matter in dry country. If Mobile has a water supply problem, it is based on them wanting to run a highway right through the middle of Big Creek Lake, a lake entirely contained within the limits of Mobile County, and so if we mess up our water supply, it is all our own fault. At least we don't have to worry about "low salt" roadways in the winter contaminating the drinking water supply. And as for the City of Mobile, our municipal water supply represents one THIRD of our water bill, because water treatment represents the other TWO THIRDS of it. Water is precious. Hope Jed can solve your water issues before official hot weather arrives.

• Debbie B.
    5 years ago

First, let me just say to Moccasin that I LOVE LOVE LOVE your beautiful home!!! It is so lovely, and I know you must be so pleased that all your time and hard work paid off. Congratulations! I hope you will enjoy it for many years to come.

I also wanted to affirm Stringweaver's statement about the folks here on the smaller homes forum. This is a wonderful, non-judgmental place to share our ideas, hopes, and dreams.

Water. Since my field of research is African Studies, I read a lot of geography journals and books. They are saying now that while oil was the cause of wars in the last century, water will be the cause in this one. There are multi-billionaire individuals, kingdoms, governments, etc., who are rapidly buying land all over the world--land that has water underneath it. It is a much more precious resource than people realize. Less than 2% of the earth's water is fresh, and of that 2%, only a tiny fraction of 1% of it is accessible (the rest is the polar ice caps). We're using it up much faster than it is being replaced--look at California, for example.

Steph--I'm so sorry about your ongoing phone/internet problems! I think you've got a really crappy ISP! Do you only have one choice of providers where you live? Do they not provide the router/modem for you? What router do they recommend? I know money's tight, but if you can swing it, I'd recommend hiring someone to come out and install a better router and hook everything up for you. If you have a Best Buy, get the Geek Squad, for example. I'm not questioning your expertise, but if you get someone to set it all up correctly and then something goes awry, they'll have to fix it. While they're out there, show them this forum and see if they can tell you why you can't post photos. If I lived close to you, I'd pop over and have a look-see, and if I couldn't figure it out, Joy could--the younger generation, haha! Without seeing your computer, I have no idea why one day you could post photos and the next day you couldn't. I will say that Houzz isn't very sophisticated, and that may be a big part of the problem. As for Moccasin, I'm glad you figured something out! I'm not familiar with Macs, so I didn't want to hazard a guess. :-)

Moccasin thanked Debbie B.
  • Moccasin
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Ahh, Debbie, African Studies! One of my most favorite series of books is the Ladies No. 1 Detective Agency by Alexander McCall Smith. Precious Ramotswe of Botswana is the heroine of about 14 soft mysteries laid in Botswana, and I love the scenery there. If you are not familiar with that series, check it out. There was a TV movie several years back too.

And WATER is definitely a major concern of conservationists and anyone else who has an interest in the future of Earth. I agree, it is liquid gold. The age of oil is gone, and good riddance to it. Someone who can cheaply and efficiently make potable the sea, I think they will become richer than Bill Gates. In the coming century. The cover of The New Yorker this time shows a man in the top of a coconut tree, which is way deep in OCEAN. No land. Rising sea levels will of course overwhelm low shorelines. I expect the Gulf Coast of the US will be among the places overwhelmed.

One reason I changed to ALL Apple is the quality of Apple products in general. It seems young people are choosing Macs etc, including my granddaughters. In my experience, Windows has become unwieldy and unsafe to use. Then there is Android which is a good OS and I have an old ASUS tablet that still works great, I don't connect it to the internet except when I wish to download Audible books to it. High capacity, and fast. No problems with it.

Right now, I am connected to Internet via my iPhone's personal HotSpot, and my DH has HIS laptop running too. Our problems with Comcast are LEGION! And our neighborhood is among those "chosen" to be part of a "limited data" trial, probably because we have limited choice of providers. I'm looking into making the HotSpot adequate for full time connectivity. That a company which made its fortunes off the backs of the US citizenry should outsource its customer service to another country is deplorable. They should be returning the favor by keeping customer service jobs within the USA. I told them that after my most recent round with customer service and tech support. Should you have them as your ISP, and you can get online at all, I recommend using their online CHAT, where accents do not matter. Just keep in mind that word usage across cultures is somewhat different. But, the agents in CHAT seem to read English a lot better than they speak it.

• Moccasin
    Original Author
    5 years ago

An add on here to Debbie's mention of using up the potable water/fresh water of the world. Another example is the once mighty Rio Grande River, which really WAS Grande. By the time it reaches the Gulf of Mexico, after all the places have taken their big swig of it, it is a mere shadow of its once mighty size. Agriculture is a big consumer. So are municipalities.

Watching old Western movies, where farmers fenced off their land and cattle men had thirsty cattle, you can see the results in countless shoot-em-ups. Everything old is new again.

• missouribound
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Welcome back ML. You have been missed.

Your house looks wonderful ML! I haven't read all of this thread yet, but I'll get back to it. I don't read as fast as I used to and just wanted to add my 2 cents and ask how you like cooking on the stove now that you finally get to use it?

Moccasin thanked missouribound
  • Moccasin
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I love the stove. Absolutely! It is the 24" model, enough for us definitely. And it has the high BTU burner with two rings, for wok cooking. Those Italians make beautiful machinery, this is as fine a piece of workmanship as a Ferrari, as those Riva speedboats built like a Stradivari violin. Piece of art. And it is easy to clean with such finished surfaces.

Thank you for the greeting, MoBound. :) It is good to be back. Gradually I'll collect the story of the remodel in photos and share them here.

• scone911
    5 years ago

Hello there! Just wanted to say, I love your house to pieces. Thanks for posting all these great shots. ;)

Moccasin thanked scone911
  • Moccasin
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Hi Scone! What a great screen name. I love scones...easy to remember that. Do you have "scone emergencies"? 911? :)

• scone911
    5 years ago

Hi! Actually the scone part is a play on words, related to my real name. The 911 part was just the first thing that popped into my head, when the houzz bot said "scone" was already taken. I'm scone on the Bogleheads investing site.

Moccasin makes me think of the Plains Indians, Stands With Fist, that sort of thing. :)

• Debbie B.
    5 years ago

Moccasin--I'm not familiar with that book series, and I do enjoy detective novels, so I'll definitely check them out! I'm also not at all knowledgeable about Botswana, so that's great too. Thanks for the recommendation!

I'm another one who always hears "Dreamweaver" when I see a post by Stringweaver, lol! And I've been curious about the "scone emergencies" as well, so now that's another mystery solved! ;-)

Maybe I'm the only one, but I don't know anything about your range that everyone is raving about. Could you fill me in?

And a funny story--this is about Qwest, the ISP of a friend of mine. So I was over at her house and we were both working on our computers. Suddenly, the Internet died. The guy who was outside doing maintenance on her septic tank came to the door and said he accidentally cut the Internet line. So my friend called customer service. I wouldn't have believed this if it weren't on speaker and I hadn't heard it with my own ears. My friend said, "A septic tank maintenance man accidentally cut the Internet wire outside and we need someone to come out and repair it." The customer service person said (obviously reading from a script), "Are you experiencing a typhoon right now?" Hahaha!! I still laugh thinking of a typhoon on the other side of the Cascade Mountain range! The conversation went downhill from there as it took my friend a good 10-12 minutes to convince customer service that we were not experiencing any adverse weather conditions, in fact, that it was a perfectly lovely day outside! (And if we had been in the middle of a typhoon, getting our internet back up would probably not have been our first concern! And would her Verizon phone service have worked in a typhoon so we could call Qwest??)

Last but not least, Moccasin, my next computer will be a Mac. I have an iPhone and iPad, and I want everything integrated. Eventually, the TV too. I'm not seriously considering the Apple Watch because no one to date can convince me I need it. I do love the Android based phones, and would get the Samsung if I weren't trying to integrate all my electronics.

Have a great day! :-)

• Moccasin
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Debbie, I hear you on integrating your devices. After reading reviews a couple years back, I decided to get the Samsung Galaxy S5, because of my picture taking passion. Well, it lasted about 5 months and suddenly there was something that failed in the camera, and I read that it was NOT REPAIRABLE. I'd bought my phone straight out, it was with Verizon. I took it in, asked someone to help me. Nope, it just didn't work anymore, they could do nothing for me. So I closed my Verizon account, and bought my first Apple product, the iPhone 6 Plus. From there I got the iPad Air 2 tablet as my next device. Windows kept pushing me to upgrade to Win 10 and when that happened, all hades broke loose at my house, with data consumption through the roof! I heard they "piggyback" downloads to other folks (not on my connection) from MY download, using MY connection. Could that be the cause of the original problem? But, why would such a rate of data use continue through today? That was CHRISTMAS. Was Comcast goosing my connection to cause such high data use so they could precipitate us to select UNLIMITED DATA? Comcast is so disorganized I'm sure I will never know.

Meanwhile, my cellular provider, Consumer Cellular steps in to save the day, by suggesting I use my cell phone HOT SPOT, which I did not realize I could use so easily. They activated that and now it is the most dependable way I can access the Internet. With Comcast being so slow the pages never open, in effect unusable, I'm minimizing my subscription to all of their services. In fact, my connection to the Internet at this moment is Consumer Cellular HOT SPOT. And it is private. I like it so much, we are now switching our home phone to Consumer Cellular, although Comcast is dragging feet about turning the number loose to us. So far a one day "porting" of the number has taken over two weeks, during which time they DISCONNECTED the number (released it to the general pool so I would not get a number I'd had for 40 + years), and played that I was instead transferring service TO them. Which is what I had to do temporarily.....start over....and it is really tiring to deal with incompetence. However, my phone is working with them, although I refuse to connect my internet to their modem. I bought my own modem to delete the $10/month rental charge for a limited access modem that would not let new devices.

Getting crossways of communications industry people who OUTSOURCE their customer service to countries where English is a second language at best, is not a happy way to do business. My response to their survey after my latest experience was, that Comcast should be ashamed of themselves for making their money off the backs of the American public, and then turning their backs on the American workers. A pox upon their house!

• desertsteph
    5 years ago

ML - saw something new on HSN yesterday. newly invented thingy that your phone snaps onto and it will zoom in your pics by up to 22x! it was selling for about 40.00. I think they all sold out tho. sounds like such a great thing to have for a cell ph camera! it will be open to the market soon, right now just thru hsn. don't know if they'll have it on again. you could search there for it. it was on a special show they have for 'new' items/regular people invented things.

another thing they had was - sheet clips - not just a clip tho and it holds the corners over the mattress. set of 4 and 2 sets for ? 20-30$

replay of a recent one was an after mkt add on motion sensor to faucet - about 40.00. I'd like that for times I'm cleaning/cooking meat mostly. that isn't real often here tho. wish it was something that could be snapped on and off tho. don't think it is. probably have to unscrew the thing/screen at the spout end and screw this thing on. think that might be too much for as little as I'd use it.

• Moccasin
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Steph, most newer phones with cameras have a USB charging connection that also allows you to plug the other end into a regular sized USB port on any computer. You can then view them as slideshow or download to computer and remove the pics from the phone. The device may be good for folks who do not have a computer. I think many new tvs have USB connections now, or you can get a USB to HDMI adaptor from Amazon to plug direct into the phone. Then you view pics on your TV set to that HDMI connection. I've been through a lot of devices, including the digital picture frames, and most are okay but not great. Now I try to "kiss".....keep it simple, sister! Once upon a time they sold a magnifier to enlarge pics of small screen televisions. Quality with such devices suffers. I'd say save your money. But thanks, I'm sure it would be good for special circumstances.

• desertsteph
    5 years ago

ML - maybe I didn't explain it correctly. it acts as a 22x optical lens for the cell phone camera when taking a picture. So if you want to take a pic of the bird sitting waaaay up there on a phone wire, it'll give you a pic of him/her more like they're sitting on the fence post in front of you. you could then print out a pic of mr birdie and see his eyeballs and feathers up close and personal.

I can identify with your Comcast problems. I don't hear good things about them. at least most of my yrs out here we've had Qwest and they were a nightmare. a few yrs back Century link took over and while they are much better, it didn't take much to be much better... things still happen tho - like the construction people cutting thru cables. Seems to happen at least once a yr around here and it's a big pain. my internet connection has only cut out on me once for a very short time (few minutes) since I complained to them.

Out here where I am we have the option of directv or dish for tv channels. I have directv and it's often a pain, but those with dish complain just as much about it. down the road aways the developments have cable - cox or Comcast? I don't know which. my only option when I moved out here 18 yrs ago was to get a dish, so I did.

Moccasin thanked desertsteph
  • Moccasin
    Original Author
    5 years ago

OIC, Steph. I misread. I saw some smartphones which could have a zoom or telephoto attached to it, but I would rather do without a detachable gadget that I'd mess up, in the bottom of my purse first thing. Even the Kindle FIRE tablets have a fairly good camera, and there is an app for my iPhone that lets me shoot in macro...which is very detailed, very close up focus, not exactly zoom or telephoto, but great detail. I am a nut about taking pictures. Cannot wait for spring to get here and my garden back in shape with the hostas growing by leaps and bounds. That's one of the things Ive done up until the remodel took off. Then I was consumed by that effort. I took tons of pictures of stages of the demo and remo!

Dealing with DH during the remodel took all my strength, believe me. He does not adjust to change easily nor does he go peacefully about his business when he is not calling the shots. Our contractor became a marriage counselor! :)

And, one reason I did not get the natural gas generator for emergency power, was a result of him w/o saying a word buying a dinky gasoline generator to run the fridge and I think a couple of small appliances...but not big enough to do the a/c. Because in our neck of the woods, it will be hot weather power outages mostly, with hurricanes the major factor. And those outages can last weeks, and even if a shorter time, how long will a 5 gallon tank of gas last when there is no power for the service stations to run the pumps? And if things got critical, there could be hostilities to contend with at the gas pump. So, that was scratched during the remodel. Now suddenly he is all for it, now that he realizes he is getting too old to move appliances away from the wall to access their power connections. The Generac is SO CIVILIZED. I will post a picture of it installed, and with the power meter transfer switch and such operating. The guy comes tomorrow to run it and break it in, change the oil, and show us how to operate it. And, set it up for its self activated monthly test run. The company installing it installed my ac/heat pump at MoccasinLanding years ago and I have always maintained a service contract with them ever since. Dependable.

• Debbie B.
    5 years ago

The iPhone and iPad have really decent cameras, as does the Kindle. I don't have the latest everything--iPhone 5c, iPad mini, and Kindle Fire DX (that was a gift.) They aren't something a real camera buff like ML would use all the time, but they're as good as any point and shoot camera out there, or so I've been told by a good friend who's a photojournalist. I mostly used my iPad in Zambia, and I've got some really great photos.

I hear you about wanting emergency backup power, ML, especially as humid as it gets where you are. Out here, if we get a power failure, it's usually in winter and due to wind, although we get the very occasional idiot who drives into a power pole, lol. I've only ever lost power for a few hours since I've been here, which is since 2011. HOWEVER, last Nov, we had a freak wind storm that knocked tons of trees over onto power lines and there were people who had no power for nearly THREE WEEKS, including my friends at this house! I was in one of the few parts of Spokane that never lost power during that nightmare. Later last winter, my friends were actually snowed in for a few days. We had an unusual amount of snow, and no one other than the county has snow plows here.

So after lots of consideration, my solution is that I'm going to put a wood burning stove in next September, Lord willing. And we're going to stock up on canned goods. Since we're apparently the lowest priority on the county's list for repairing power lines and for plowing roads, I'd like to be prepared. Even though those were "freak" events, nothing says it can't happen again. A wood burning stove will keep the whole house warm and we can heat food on it.

And because I know scone911 will worry because she's a very caring person, let me explain about wood burning stoves and manufactured homes. A couple of decades ago, the government powers that be, both federal and WA state, came down with an iron hammer on this issue. Too many homes catching fire and too much carbon monoxide poisoning. So now, here in WA and in most states, here's the deal: the whole process has to be permitted through the county. You can ONLY use stoves specifically approved for mobile home use. It MUST have a return fresh air supply from outside. It MUST be chained directly to the chassis--the steel frame the house is built on--which means someone's got to crawl under the house. It MUST be on an approved hearth, and 18" away from basically anything. The walls nearest to it MUST be fire retardant. It MUST be installed by a licensed contractor. It MUST pass two inspections--one at the halfway point of installation, and again when it's done. Have there been fires and carbon monoxide poisoning since those laws were put into effect? Yes, but NEVER, I repeat NEVER in a home where it was properly installed following the above laws. The only fires/poisonings that have occurred have been in homes where Yahoo Homeowner decided to install it himself and didn't see why a return fresh air flow was necessary, or why he needed to have such a large hearth, or why he needed to put up fire retardant internal walls.

Of course all this means it's very expensive to put one in, about $5,000 all-inclusive. But I'm grateful these laws are on the books. Once it's in, the only costs are firewood, which is pretty cheap out here, and yearly chimney sweep maintenance. For my situation, I think it's better than a generator. We will use it as our primary heat source, with the HVAC as back up. This house is only 920 sq ft, and if we keep the bedroom doors open, they will stay toasty warm. :-)

A pox on ALL cable/internet companies! Did you know we in the USA do not have the fastest internet! We're #6! And behind countries like Estonia! We recently averted a true crisis when Comcast and Verizon sued the FCC to allow them to violate the principle of net neutrality. It was a HUGE deal that most Americans don't understand, but luckily, enough people wrote to the FCC demanding that they protect net neutrality that the FCC really had no choice but to go with prevailing public opinion. That doesn't mean those evil cable companies won't keep trying though!

And on that note, have a great day! ;-)

• kitykat
    5 years ago

Hello Moccasin. We just returned to KS from our winter in the Yuma dessert. I used to be active on here, and got busy with life in general when you were in the middle of reno. Good to see you back again, and your great photos.

Moccasin thanked kitykat
  • Moccasin
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Loved your post, Debbie, detailing the regulations concerning safe installation of a wood burning stove. When cold weather comes around here, I know the sound of fire engine sirens means another extension cord and space heater have caused a fire somewhere.

And good to have you back KityKat, a lot of folks are back now, perhaps it is spring cleaning turning thoughts to home improvement ideas, but always good to have input from varied points of view. My DH's brother spent winters somewhere around Tucson for years, but his traveling days seem to be at a standstill.

Debbie, have you noticed that Amazon now has a CABLE SERVICE for Comcast? You can get it through them, including the "customer service" by Amazon for subscriptions originating there. I will wait and see what happens in the next few months. Of course, everyone who wrote a review of Comcast itself rated it as ONE STAR (probably because there was no ZERO STAR option!)!

I must state though that I did encounter ONE person in cust. service with Comcast who hung in there with me to straighten out my landline phone issue--instead of "porting" my phone number to my new provider, Comcast had DISCONNECTED IT, so I was losing the number that I'd had for over 40 years. I was devastated. All the people I hoped would call me, that I'd lost contact with, had THAT NUMBER to rely on. So it was a big deal. But thanks to this young woman, I got it back by following her instructions. She even gave me her number and personal mail box to contact. So when I give them a single star, SHE is the one who earned it for them.

Standing in line at the Comcast store in Mobile, I encountered two individuals who had the same excessive data usage problem that I had, and theirs also started at Christmas time. Both were there to turn in equipment, early on a Saturday morning. They lived in different parts of town, but one switched to ATT and one got DirectTV, which I think is satellite and also connected to ATT. I do not want DSL. Instead, I will up my data plan on the cellphone so I can connect via my iPhone hotspot when I must. I think the xfinitywifi hotspot network was funneling through my connection AND regardless of what they say, was counting against my data. Never going near 100gig/month and then suddenly going 703gig/mo from Christmas to New Year? I don't think so. Mobile is one of the "chosen" cities for data limit trials, which means that Comcast is our only option so they have us over a barrel. Which I totally resent, and will do what I can to find a way out, alternatives to Comcast. Any company which is actually a UTILITY, should be required to have all SERVICE PERSONNEL within the USA, and not farm the service out to countries where ENGLISH IS A SECOND LANGUAGE. If you must call those customer service folks, and you have the option to choose ONLINE CHAT, I recommend you try the chat. Most can write English, but have less fluency speaking it. That is my experience. I'd rather CHAT than stay on hold for hours and get transferred, disconnected, and stressed out trying to understand what THEY are telling me. THEY are Level ONE service anyway, if you have a REAL PROBLEM, you get kicked upstairs, if you have the stamina to stay on the line, and eventually you reach "heaven" with a familiar sounding voice at Level THREE.

• scone911
    5 years ago

^ Aw, shucks, Debbie. I am a worrywart, probably need an intervention. :) Actually I would just assume you'd be on top of the wood stove issues; since you're a researcher, that's right in your wheelhouse. My only big thought is the tie downs, but then if you (plural) don't get big storms in Spokane, it's not so bad. I was thinking of my house in Oregon, with a major wind load, snow, unstable subsoils, earthquakes, and volcanoes. Maybe I was traumatized. ;)

And I enjoy reading about different aspects of the code for different products and locations. My uncle had a double wide years ago, and my dad lived in one after my mother died, but other than that I haven't followed that area of the market. I'm interested in the whole small house movement, however, and appreciate the info.

BTW, the builder I'm talking to is developing a group of plans for tiny houses, I think stick built but maybe not. I'll post more when I know more.

• Nancy in Mich
    5 years ago

I just had to jump in and share my Comcast story. I can't keep their new product names straight, so Xfinity always gets confused in my brain with the AT&T cable product.

So when the doorbell rang the other day and I just happened to be near the door, I looked outside and saw the salesman and answered the door. He started talking about me trying Xfinity and I told him that we tried it for one year and switched back to Wow. I didn't like all the junky channels they had in between the regular ones. He said that our address had not been on their service for many years, and asked if I was the "XYZ" family. I said no, they were two homeowners ago.

Then it dawned on me that I had made my usual error with the new product names and I said, "Wait, Xfinity - that's Comcast?" He confirmed it was. I said that I had mixed up the services names and that we had moved to the ATT service for a year and moved back to Wow. So he started to try to sell me Xfinity. I interrupted him and said, "It has nothing to do with you, but I will never subscribe to a Comcast service again, so save your breath!" and walked back to the door. I had gone outside because my mini-Dachshund, Lizzy, was barking at the door and I could not hear him. He asked why I would not use Comcast and I told him that customer service was so bad when they were the only cable service available that I swore that as soon as I had another choice, I was moving away from them and never going back. It has been at least 18 years, but it hasn't been long enough. He asked what they did that was so bad and I told him that I don't remember the specifics, but I remember my vow.

No Comcast, ever.

Moccasin thanked Nancy in Mich
  • Nancy in Mich
    5 years ago

Yeah, I know the dog needs training! Once Toby passes and I can do clicker training without him trying to interfere, I swear I will teach her good manners!

• vintageliving
    5 years ago

Waving to you from Ville Platte, Louisiana, Mocassin. You prob. don't remember me so I'm including a point of reference: I had commented in 2013 in response to your "pot hissing" post and included a pic of huge timber rattler that was coiled near steps of our outdoor kitchen. When the snake wandered into our neighbor's yard and onto their carport, Mike killed him with a shotgun. I neglected to mention that property behind our houses was being logged at the time. Loved your story of the "taxidermied" cottonmouth. Mention of the songs, "Dream Weaver" and the "Hotel" one means you must be about my age - LSU B.S. Grad '79. Saw the Iggles in '76 but no idea who sang the D.W. one. Sending Cajun love.

Moccasin thanked vintageliving
  • Moccasin
    Original Author
    5 years ago

AHA! VintageLiving, that hissing pot was in my hosta garden! You know, it never happened again. You should have seen the way I exited stage right! Later I took a stick and pushed the pot over, finding nothing.

Cajun Love, I sure appreciate it. I worked for many years in the offshore oil field as a captain, and drove I-10 past Ville Platte, then south to those ports, or all the way to Corpus Christi for almost 20 years. I spent more time offshore than at home, working 302 days a year with 21 days off 3 times a year. The snake mounted on a board kept my home safe from burglars during most of that time. Never had a problem. :)

• Nancy in Mich
    5 years ago

ML, just wanted to drop off a hosta for you. This was last week. The little tulips in front of it are getting a bit ragged now.

• Shades_of_idaho
    5 years ago

Nancy this is a pretty little spot.

Moccasin thanked Shades_of_idaho
  • murraysmom Zone 6a OH
    5 years ago

Pretty flowers, Nancy. Moccasin, I feel like I've been eavesdropping on your conversation, but I would like to ask about the app you have for your iPhone for macro shooting. What is the name of it? I would love to have something like that because I can never seem to get a decent closeup picture of anything. Thanks for any help.

Moccasin thanked murraysmom Zone 6a OH
  • Moccasin
    Original Author
    5 years ago

MurraysMom, the app is CAMERA+ and is available from the appstore. You are always welcome to join the conversations on our forum. The more the merrier. :)

Nancy, that is a great looking hosta. I have one that is colored like that, a small-medium about that size generally, and it is called FAIR MAIDEN. It is a strong gorwer. See if you can find a photo of it at the HostaLibrary.org

• murraysmom Zone 6a OH
    5 years ago

Thank you, Moccasin. I will look for it!!

Moccasin thanked murraysmom Zone 6a OH
  • vintageliving
    5 years ago

Moc, how do you like Windows 10? And everyone else who has it? I want Win 7 back so badly but can't seem to locate the cd; maybe b/c it came installed on my desktop. The trial period is expired. The reps, at a service for Century Link customers, insist that they can reinstall Win7 if I have a cd- any cd. I'm not quite desperate enough to cough up 200 bucks on ebay just yet. Does anyone have any advice. Thanks.

Moccasin thanked vintageliving
  • Shades_of_idaho
    5 years ago

am not Moc but I did install windows 10 on my computer. Updating it from windows 8. I did this update as soon as I got the new to me computer so never even gave windows 8 a try. Once I deleted all the crap from windows 10 I think it runs very much like windows 7. I dumped Cortana and the windows drive storage thing. Bing and put Google chrome on it for my browser. I use Thunderbird for my email. I can get three email accounts on that one for free and more if I shell out $$ I do not do that. I do not ues the windows 10 EDGE browser but did not delete it because some times you need more than one browser. I go from windows 10 to windows 7 in the blink of an eye and do not notice that much difference.

OH one other thing is I do NOT use windows filing system they try to push you into. I always create my own file folders on C for everything including photos. I have always done that. I do not use libraries only their down loads folder is allowed to be used.

• Moccasin
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I don't like Windows 10 at all. In fact, that is why I've changed to Apple products. I understand there is something afoot to get Win 7 back, on some machines, but no idea what they mean. What I did on my HP tablet which runs Win 10 Home is to install a "Shell" that gives me the start menu and such as that. I like to be able to see all my drives, my devices, and know where everything is that is personal. I discovered that they were piggybacking downloads to other computers (not in my house either) so it was consuming my bandwidth.

And another thing I discovered about my data usage which was higher than a cat's back from Christmas until April, it was up to 700gig a month, after averaging around 80gig for several years. NEVER over 100gig. And now, guess what? It averages again about 80 gig. So far this month we've used 64 gig making it right on the mark for the end of this month to be around 80 gig. Was it some poking going on from Comcast/Xfinity? That is my assumption. Because there was no extra folks using my connection. I got rid of their modem (and their gateway which combines modem/router) and purchased my own from Amazon (from the list of approved modems). Plus I placed my home phone with my cell phone provider, not Comcast. And now Comcasst is raising the price of unlimited data/internet access. But cost to me remains at the present rate for a year.

If I ever get situated where I have access to another provider, I will swear off Comcast too. Oh yeah. Want to know the definition of Irish Altzheimers? You forget everything except the grudges. I like that.

• Moccasin
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Oh yeah, VintageLiving, I am trying out a Linux product, cannot remember the letters for it, but it does a great job. I loaded it onto my HP all-in-one that had been running Win 7 Pro for several years. It is very stable. Shades can tell you what it is since she sent me the disk for it. LXDE or something like that?

• Nancy in Mich
    5 years ago

Hubby, a computer professional, hates Windows 10, too. My computer got kidnapped thee or four nights ago and Windows 10 installed itself. Sooner or later those questions that pop up and ask if you want to install it are going to catch you in the middle of a keystroke and get a "yes" out of you! There are a lot of things I don't like, only a few that I do. My computer's touchpad does not have a driver update for it is my biggest problem and the cursor sometimes just flies off to the north or the south!

We have never owned an Apple item, but my cell phone is on its last legs, and I am looking to replace it. I can get an Apple 6 SE (a small phone, perhaps the last of them?) for $400, but get $200 off an iPad for hubby! Microsoft is chasing people to the competition with this move with Windows 10.

• mushcreek
    5 years ago

Our computer got kidnapped recently, too. I'm not sure if it actually self-installed, or if one of us accidentally hit 'yes'. From what I read, you can go back to 7 fairly easily for a period of one month. After that, you need the Windows 7 CD, which I don't have. In some ways, 10 seems better, such as it seems to run faster, but other things have been glitchy, and I think I'll go back to 7.

Moccasin thanked mushcreek
  • Moccasin
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Somewhere on the computer is a file/folder with the OLD operating system in it, true enough. I think after 30 days or some such time period it may be deleted, since it takes up a lot of space. When I had Win 10 Home rolled back to Win 7, things did not work as they should. I had my technician (he does Apple service work here since we have no Apple store in town, plus Android and Windows certification) do the job. He said he hoped it worked, but could not guarantee it. Others he'd restored did not always act properly. And that was the case with my HP all-in-one flat screen. So that is when I went to a form of Linux, and find it very simple to use. I've had enough of Windows tinkering with "improvements." HOUZZ and FLICKR are as close as I come to social networks. I don't like the invasion of privacy built into the system. Who in their right mind wants to broadcast their every move to God and everybody, so some stalker or thief can intercept you or take your possessions while you are telling them the coast is clear. You must be so very careful with your settings. And that doesn't even begin to touch on "facial recognition" from photos posted of people, who might not choose to be identified.

When you think about the old system the railroads have to identify the location of every rail car in North America at any given moment, it is not new technology. They've simply added more powerful processors that don't read serial numbers or bar codes but facial features and GPS coordinates of where you are at that moment. For at least 20 years they've been able to read the brand of cigarette someone is smoking while standing on the back deck of a boat on the ocean, from those satellites dotting the skies of our coastal regions. Or elsewhere for that matter, who knows.

One of my long-time favorite expressions is: JUST BECAUSE I'M PARANOID DOESN'T MEAN THEY ARE NOT OUT TO GET ME..... I'm not paranoid, but I am a proponent of the right to individual privacy. In a time when fear has led us to surrender such rights, we must pause a moment and ask where will it lead. Like earthworms they consume everything we do and make DATA out of it, with which to bombard us with ads, placing each one of us in a niche market that determines what we see from the news and from cultural activities. Monster trucks and mud wrestling and reality shows pander to ignorance. They remind me of the Roman Circus, entertaining the common folk with gladiators and other blood sports.True madness.

• caroline94535
    5 years ago

I'm right here beside you, Moccasin! We are destroying ourselves, our future, the next generations, our country ... from the inside out. And "we" are letting "them" win.

and regarding the 'reality' shows ...they reward the dumbing down, indecency, and bullying that is sweeping our society.

I have a new battle cry: "Just because I'm paranoid does not mean they are not out to get me!" Thank you!

I am not on an of the "social" media either. It seems to me that it makes people less social.

• Shades_of_idaho
    5 years ago

The LXLE Linux is for older computers and it made our old Dell D620 run like a dream again. I never really got into it as far as learning the system It is not too hard as long as you have a little bit of basic computer savvy under your belt. I ended up buying this super cheep used Dell laptop for $129.00 and it has been running so well I just let the old old Dell sit. Along with the Old Dell to keep it company. I am NOT a Dell person. I just happened to get three Dells. The really expensive one to me at 500 dollars was bought for the features it had and I used back when I did a lot of the city work from home and needed dependable. Now I just goof around on the computer nothing important. I do back up my photos to an external drive or two in case one fails.

I feel like I should learn the LXLE system better. Just right now I have a hard time doing anything more in my day than I am already doing and not much brain power left. I believe it is a great system and really fast compared to the way the D620 was running/crashing before I installed the LXLE on it.

There is a great Forum for support of this too. When I have more time I will get back into it and might even change over my new to me Dell. Or just go dual boot and run both as needed.

I think it is well worth the effort to do this for an old unstable machine.

• don_in_colorado
    2 years ago

Hi Mocc, don't even know if you're still around in these forums, but if you are, would love to hear from you. It's Don, from the hosta forum. I hope all is well.

• desertsteph
    2 years ago

don, I hope she responds too. I miss her (and Shades, mamag and others who were on here). not sure I ever got to see all of her remodel or to know how she is liking it. I'm gonna reread this thread - maybe I just forgot! tho I would like to know how she is doing now. I'm on KT these days. sure miss our old group.

• Nancy in Mich
    2 years ago
    Hi Steph, I am still here, too. We finally completed all the renovations and now I have to put everything back together! I have been visiting Smaller Homes lately. don’t recognize any of the names there, though.
  • eld6161
    2 years ago

Nancy, when Houzz took over, Smaller Homes changed drastically. It is totally different now.

It would be great if more "old timers" see this and give us updates.

• desertsteph
    2 years ago

hi Nancy, hi eld! yes, I'd like to know how everyone is doing! I miss our updates on projects. Nancy, post how things tuned out! I've been wondering about it. I still have to checked out that wall hanger thing for the bowl brush more. I saw several on Amazon but wasn't sure which was the right one. I think you posted a pic with that in. so far, I'm still using an empty vinegar jug that I cut the top off of. And would like to know how MObound is doing with their new place... could be done by now! and Jay, miss seeing the updates on his place too. I've wondered how Shades did this past winter with snow on her roof, her glass works, fencing/work outside and her critters! Maybe we should just start posting an update thread on here again. if others want to join in, that's ok too I guess. I just miss all of us. I haven't done much of anything here. too busy recovering from multiple surgeries. I don't bounce back as easily as in the past. And there's tons of weeds everywhere this year from all the rain we've had since last Oct. Worst winter here in the past 30+ yrs. so much rain - drove my body nuts. I work on the weeds each time I take my furgirl outside. My nephew came over a few weeks ago to clear a path to the a/c unit for the a/c guy to come to do the spring check up on it.

• Nancy in Mich
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Steph, I hope you are recovering well from your surgeries and that they went well for you.

Eld, did I know you by another name? That was another thing that happened when Houzz took over - we did not know who we were talking to anymore! Steph, is MObound somebody I know by a different name, too?

Here is the big bathroom done. I think you saw it already, Steph.

Wheelchair accessible vanity I designed with pull-out storage in the left leg, a drawer, and shelf storage for the toilet area in the right leg.

Wheelchair accessible shower. We took 8 to 12 inches from the bedroom nest door to get it this wide.

Wood shelves where the old med cab was, and two new med cabs that hold all the stuff for grooming.

The other end of the shower and the new cupboard. Because we moved the shower wall, the bedroom closet that sits behind the new cupboard became extra deep. So I stole some back to make a cupboard. The closet now has 12" deep shelves above the cupboard and behind the clothes hanging rods. I do upper and lower rods in my closets.

We widened the bathroom door and three bedroom doors to 36", so two walls in the hall had to be moved to allow this. Those pictures come later, first I have ones of our bedroom. It still had wallpaper from the previous owners (blue striped at bottom, floral band at chair rail height, with textured white paper at top) and ratty blue carpet. Jim took that up, screwed the floor to stop squeaks, leveled the floor, and laid down this nice off-white cork for me. They stripped the wallpaper, fixed the walls, and painted. I had them install these lights over our closets so we could see our clothes better. The sconces are ceramic and painted with the trim paint. The lights are LED.

The room door here got moved when widened. See the little jog-outs from the other two walls at the ends of the diagonal walls? The old walls came straight out from there, so that it formed a short wall going from the wall on the right, It met another short wall that started at the other end of the diagonal wall and came straight at us. The room door was on the side that faced the wall on the left of the picture. I had a small bookcase on the wall that would have faced us. So a big triangle about 3 ft x 3 ft was added to the interior of our bedroom

This rug was one I bought for my "bachelorette" living room when I finished college at age 34, after being divorced. I had a pretty floral chintz sofa, rose swivel rocker and blue and cream plaid chair and this rug tied it all together. The sofa got old and worn and the rug got cleaned and put away for 15 years. I have always planned to bring it up from the basement and use it here, if we ever got our bedroom done. It fits well sideways and our bed sits on it under these windows.

The bedroom that got made smaller is next to ours and it is now a violet color called "Plum's the Word" I am in the midst of setting that room up as my exercise and craft room. Here is part of that room when it was serving as our bedroom during renovations. This room also got the cork flooring.
    Here is a photo showing the new cork flooring up against the older linoleum that is in the rest of the house.

Here are the doors! from left to right, bathroom pocket door, Plum Room door, our bedroom door, and linen closet door. We can't see the smallest bedroom's door that is to the left of the bathroom. That is a new light fixture.

And finally, we have the bathroom door on the right, the smallest bedroom door in front of us, and the hall to the foyer. This bedroom lost a 3 ft x 3 ft triangle of space when the door got widened, This wall used to be perpendicular to the bathroom next to it. See the corner?

Yes, when you enter my house, you leave the foyer and you either turn
    right to go toward the kitchen and family room, or you end up in the
    bedrooms. I can stand next to my bed and see the front door, now! There is a living room off the foyer that serves us as Bill's
    office/music room/library.

So, these are the last of the renovations. Other than having a shed built, there is nothing left to do to my house!

• desertsteph
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Nancy - I am doing better. this last one really slammed me tho. That was 7 months ago and it's still a struggle. the 1st 2 were cataracts, but I lost sight in my left eye first. took about 5 months or so with a retinal specialist to get that back before he'd release me for surgery on it. He finally told the surgeon to schedule it cause he couldn't see far enough back to tell anything. hoping the surgeon could. that was April of 17. the right eye was done the following January. supposed to be sooner but I was too sick. massive sneezing. no surgery on my eye in case I went into a sneezing fit. then in May I had surgery for a basil cell cancer on my face. large incision but scar not noticeable anymore. Then the end of last July I hurt my left leg. ended up having surgery on it in early Aug. was on a walker for a few weeks. horrible pain just trying to stand up for months. then I used a cane for several months. I'm off that now. but my left knee is still swollen. and my ring finger on right hand started swelling up when I was using the walker. oh, and I do have a big scar on my left leg. Told the doc I'd have to give up my leg modeling career because of it. hey, I'm a MESS! good grief, if all this stuff doesn't do me in, the docs and pharmacies will in messing up my meds! Actually, I still have problems getting up. not usually in getting down tho. that part is easy. getting up not so much.

anyway, love your bathroom and the grab bars. I should get those. and that open space by the bedroom doors is super great in case needed in the future. that was a lot of work! thank goodness you had Jim to do it for you. Bet you're glad it is all over tho. I know I would be! I haven't done anything here except mess it up more. dropping things, spilling stuff - unable for months to pick things up, bend over, do much of anything. lucky to be able to stand on my own 2 feet! and get the dog in / out and me to the bathroom.

fyi - MObound = Missouribound and yes, you know her. can't say much about that tho. I do remember they bought land and were in the process of designing a new home. she posted plans for it on here somewhere.

• Nancy in Mich
    2 years ago

Wow, Steph, that is so much to go through! Are you able to see better now, with cataracts gone? My eyesight has been messed up for over a year and I figured out that it was partially due to a med I was taking for fibromyalgia. I stopped that and it is better, but not great.

I found a surgeon who is willing to try to replace my worse knee, but he is thinking of retiring. He is one-of-a-kind around here, a specialist in the very difficult cases. Once he retires, I will have no one I would trust to do it. My hip issue has to resolve, first, though. Plus, I should wait until I cannot bear to wait longer, as I run the risk of complications that would leave me with no knee or no leg, or no life! So his thinking of retiring is a problem for my decision-making. I did sprain this knee almost two years ago, and it never has been the same since. I can imagine what it must have been like for you, alone, having no one to assist with picking things up and such. You are a brave one! Good for you - staying out of a nursing home during that difficult time!

• desertsteph
    2 years ago

I do see better now. but I needed a laser procedure last Dec to help with that in my R eye. the new glasses I got last spring are only good now for tiny print - prescript / med labels, directions on frozen food or pkgs. otherwise I don't need them. I set my type size on computer up to 125% and I'm fine. I do remember one of the tech at the retinal doctor's office when I first went in saying he didn't think he'd ever seen a cataract that thick. and I wasn't there for those! didn't even know I had them until he said that. If you haven't been checked for them or macular degeneration, you should do that soon. Those surgeries aren't that bad - if you get a good surgeon and I had a really good one. it only takes them about 5 min or so per eye, it's all the pre stuff and prep for it that's a lot. and I couldn't drive myself that far at the time so I had to depend on my sister. and she's worse off than I am! I prepped food prior to the surgeries and did things ahead so I'd be ok for several days after each surgery. the basil cell one my nephew drove me there and home. again, they said I could but knowing me and the distance and traffic (and time of day) I didn't think I should. I didn't think I recovered as well from that one as I did the eye surgeries. and then come late July the leg problem. that laid me up for a time. a week in the hospital not getting up on my own or walking around (without help). The beds there were horrible and my back was in pain more than the leg. so glad to get out of there and home to my own bed and my furgirl. the longest she'd been w/out me was about 5 hrs during the day (that would be time span going to/from the retinal doc). And once home on my own, gee it was painful to get up. that lasted for several months. Still is somewhat too.

That doctor retiring sure puts you in a bind! when you get a good doctor things go much better. I did have good surgeons for mine. blest in that. I certainly dread if anything like a knee or hip replacement would be needed. wouldn't be able to make it thru that on my own. then I'd have my pup to worry about. I did have a number of people wanting me to have 'home care' after the leg. but I just wanted 'em all out of my life. just wanted to be home with my dog, my fairly decent tv etc. the hospital had 19" ones - clear across the room and who can see that these days? ha! and that weekend was the Diamondback's 20th anniversary game - all the 'old times' were gonna be on from yrs ago when I watched them. I wanted to see that! oh, and the food there was horrible! I couldn't eat it - it all had a terrible taste. they thought it might be from the meds they were IVing into me. And that part was a nightmare. they had to call in someone special to redo it. They'd stabbed me all over my right arm and then had to go for the left one! I was a human pincushion!

You should talk to that surgeon and see what he thinks would be best, now or later. I think there was a thread on KT about some who have had hip/knee replacements and how it went. I think several have gone thru it maybe some it was their dh's who had it and they had to help. but hey, they seemed to be able to get up and walk a lot sooner than I could! I did have visions of my dog needing to be able to pull me up. like an old Roy Rogers show when he'd tie someone or thing to the rope and have Trigger back up. My dog wanted nothing to do with it tho. But she was really good about not pulling on me or rushing me when I'd take her out. She knew something was wrong. and for several weeks she didn't even 'ask' to go out. When I'd manage to get up, she'd lift her head like asking 'now mom?' and if I headed to my bathroom she'd just put her head down and wait. such a good girl!