SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
spellingbeeq

Tillandsias Turning Black and Dying After Watering

Q Z
8 years ago

I live in a northeast Connecticut boarding school, and have ten tillandsias on the windowsill of my dormitory room. I cannot collect rain water for them because I have no tools to do so, so the water I use to water them was the water from the drinking fountains.

After coming here, I began watering them by soaking them upside-down in plastic containers, just like I used to do back in Pittsburgh, PA. I dried them up by placing them upside-down on paper towels. When I performed this process back in Pittsburgh, they grew quite well (the only difference was that I used rainwater then). I've watered them twice after coming here, but they only turned back on their bottom leaves and didn't look healthy at all.

So I have refrained from watering them for an incredible three months now, and I know you will blame me for doing this, but I was quite sure they would all turn black and die if I kept watering them. Now, all of them have dried up considerably, but they all still have healthy leaves in the middle and their leaves have stopped turning black. I really want to resume watering them (The third photo shows how dried up the poor tillandsia is), but I don't know how.

I have several varieties of tillandsias, but they all seemed to exhibit the same symptoms.

I would like to know why their bottom leaves turned black and shriveled after watering, and how I can change my practices to better care for them.

I am happy to provide more information if necessary.

Comments (8)

Sponsored