SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aliceblois

Need some lighting education!!

aliceblois
8 years ago

Hello. We are in the midst of a large scale remodel. So far all the decisions have been fairly easy. Floor plan, check. Plumbing fixtures, check. Doors, check. Cabinets, check. Etc. Now that we are into the electrical phase, I'm feeling lost and not sure which track to take. We want all of our lighting to be LED for energy efficiency. Our electrician is not a whole lot of help. I know very little about LED lighting and have gone online to learn, but am still confused. We have a great room with LED can lights. Other fixtures are dining room hanging light, pendants over the island, bathroom vanity lights, bedroom overhead lights, ceiling fans with lights.

Can I choose some non LED fixtures and put LED lights in them if the bulbs fit? Are dedicated LED fixtures more energy efficient?

Are there any good brands of lighting fixtures I should look at? Any brands to avoid? I don't need anything fancy, but I want good quality.

Where is the best place to buy the fixtures for best selection? Online vs. stores?

For bathroom vanities, what is the right amount of lumens? I'm leaning towards putting lighting on the sides of the vanity rather than above the mirror.

Will LED make my dining room table look like we could perform surgery there?

I want the fixtures to coordinate so it would be helpful to find a brand with several pieces to choose from in one line. Our style is traditional and I'm looking for a brushed nickel type finish.

Thanks anyone for your input!! Light bulbs have become very complicated!!

Comments (3)