SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
numbersjunkie

Did I watch too many episodes of Fixer Upper?

numbersjunkie
8 years ago

So I've been planning a kitchen remodel for our vacation rental/lake house. Its a brick rancher - no real style to speak of but I think it needs a traditional/farmhouse vibe. Planning to use Ikea Bodbyn - gray & maybe mix some white in too.

I'm planning a peninsula with seating and thinking about what to put on the back side which will face into the living area. If I use gray lowers, I really don't want that color to carry into the living area so I don't think I want to use the gray IKEA panels. And knowing it will probably get kicked a lot, I hesitate about using white panels. So I got to thinking that the cheapest alternative might be shiplap. Joanna Gaines loves the stuff, it should be easy to work with - and it does add interest. And Wow, now that I think about it, it might be really cool to also use shiplap as a backsplash on the wall where the range is - along with mostly open shelving (even cheaper than Ikea cabinets!). With the open shelving I could also put a bunch of the IKEA rail system stuff on that wall and not worry about it seeming too busy or making holes that can't be patched! It would also be easily repainted if its gets splattered to the point of not being washable.

I'm mostly a contemporary girl, so this has me questioning my sanity. Is this a good idea or a bad idea? I never thought I'd be heading down this road...

Comments (19)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths