Houzz Logo Print
sylviatexas1

Ft Worth Spring Swap Trade Page for March 26 2016

sylviatexas1
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Please post your haves & wants here!

suggestions & guidelines:

Keep a running list of haves & wants & trades that you've worked out, so that you don't promise the same plant to 2 people.

I just know this.

You can trade anything for anything, as long as both parties are in agreement, but please be a fair trading partner.

You can trade your family's cow for a handful of magic beans if you wish, but please don't put someone else on the spot by asking for their cow in return for your handful of beans.

Don't take anything from anyone's table without that person's express consent.

If the trader declines your offer, that's all that needs to be said; maybe there's no room in their garden for a beanstalk, but they don't owe us an explanation, & the swap is meant to be a fun experience for everyone.

It's a good idea to water your plants the morning before the swap, & put them in your car that night. This assures that the plants are hydrated, & you don't have such a manic rush the morning of the swap.

It took me 15 years to figure this out.

Label things! It's so easy for a recipient to forget which name went with which plant.

It's helpful to either email care instructions to the recipient of your trade or to write it out & bring it to the swap.

You can put each person's pre-trades in a box with the person's name & a list of what you're bringing them & maybe a list of what they're bringing to you.

Put these boxes in one place, say on the bench or under the table, & put your "available" items on the table.

If I've omitted anything, somebody please remind me or add it to this post!

Since spring has started early this year (my irises have started blooming already!), my "have" list so far is sparse, but here goes:

Have:

tall Mexican petunia-gets maybe 4' tall, grows thrives in full sun, blooms all summer til hard frost, bees love it. spreads by underground runners & seeds. cannot be killed.

lemon mint-really smells like lemon & mint, & you can put it in your hot or iced tea, or do like I do & put it where you'll walk past it every day & brush it to release the fragrance, which makes you smile. spreads like a rumor!

vinca minor-You know how people sometimes whine because they can't get grass to grow under their trees? That's because under-the-trees is the natural habitat of this spreading vine. If you water it in August, it's evergreen. If you don't water it, it goes dormant & looks awful but it returns. This plant, too, spreads like a maniac; I have some that has crept through the fence & is growing on a mulch path.

Artemesia-I think it's Louisiana artemesia, which gets about 4' tall before it flops over & you have to cut it back. never paid attention before, but this winter it stayed "ever-gray". wonderful velvety silver-gray foliage is fragrant, sort of spicy/minty. likes sun & heat.

Irises-

Iris Albicans, the old white cemetery iris, small old-fashioned flowers, blooms early & doesn't care if you pay attention to it or not.

Crimson King , a historic iris with red/purple flowers, blooms early; it's blooming right now with albicans.

If you want irises, please speak up for them early, so I can mark them while they're blooming.

Mulch! I have more mulch than I can use. (Gasp!) A tree-trimming company brought me a truckload. As the truck was leaving, the driver paused & leaned out & asked me if I could use some more. Thinking "more" meant maybe next month, I said, "Sure!"

so he brought me another truckload that afternoon.

broken pottery & china.

Wants:

irises

dianthus/pinks

brugmansia-I actually over-wintered some plants this winter, so maybe I can actually keep a brug for longer than 7 months!

Comments (83)

Sponsored
Land & Water Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
VA's Modern & Intentional Outdoor Living Spaces | 16x Best of Houzz