SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cplover

Please review my tile choices.

cplover
8 years ago

So I thought I had the tile picked out, but then DH really expressed concern over having too many grout lines, so that led to a whole bunch of changes, including eliminating my favorite hex tile flooring. Good news is that construction is under way and they are set to tile this coming week. My goal with this bathroom is to look transitional (the other bathroom is more traditional so I do not want to go so modern that the two baths do not look like they belong in the same house).So here is my current plan, tell me what you think!

Here is the layout. The shower is 3x4' and will have a frameless glass shower door. There will NOT be a pony wall between the vanity and shower.

Here is the shower tile: Mapisa Scotland White in 12x24"

It is difficult to tell from the link but the tile has some gray lines and almost some light blue/green and brown. But the tile has a very subtle texture to it so it is difficult to tell. I like the way the brown picks up the wood in the vanity. Also the blue/green gives me so direction for paint color and accent tile.

I am considering running the shower tile behind the vanity (sorta to form an L-shape). One of the guys doing the work sorta looked confused when I told him this, considering the vanity would cover most of the wall. Thoughts??

The shower base will be an enamel coated cast iron base -- the Kohler Purist in White.

Here is the vanity:

It is the 32" Godmogon in Walnut effect. I like the floating aspect because it will help in such a small space. Also the more traditional door style helps to keep it from looking too modern. The faucet I am leaning towards (not the one shown above) is the Hansgrohe Talis C. For the shower faucet, the plumbers have already installed a Moen posi-temp valve, AND I want a larger, rainhead style shower head, so I think my best option is the Moen Fina. These two fixtures are a little more modern than I wanted, but not finding any great transitional ones. (My other bath has Moen Kingsley in Antique Bronze).

Now as an accent tile, I was considering using this mosaic tile as a backsplash behind the vanity and to line a 12x24" shower niche. It picks up the gray and blue/green in the tile. Also the white in the shower base, tile, toilet and sink. I would have LOVED to use a green marble but we are a family with two small children and I do not need nor want the hassle that comes with marble tile. :(

Two chrome scones will be above the vanity on either side of the beveled mirrored (no frame) recessed medicine cabinet that is 20x26.

For the flooring, my plan was to go with 13x13 tiles in Jamaica Gray. I do not love them anywhere near as much as the hex tile above BUT I was afraid of too much going on in such a small space and thought a plain gray would sorta just blend in and disappear. However, now I am wondering if I should try to put the large shower tiles also on the floor. Thoughts?

The toilet will be a Delta Riosa, American Standard Clean or Kohler Persuade - all skirted small space toilets. Above the toilet will be two Godmorgon Walnut Storage Cabinets.

I think that is about it. Any thoughts, comments would be appreciated. DH pretty much thinks anything will look great if it means no more decisions to make or shopping outings. TIA!

Comments (47)