SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caflowerluver

What other roses are there that are D.A. look alikes?

caflowerluver
8 years ago

The more I read on the Rose forums about David Austin roses, the more I shy away from them. They either seem to be disease magnets or generally don't do well. I love the look of them with the full petal blossoms but have read that DA's either don't grow at all or grow too much with octopus branches. I know it depends on climate and growing conditions, but I don't want to spend the money if they are not going to work. I can get bare root HT's around here for $7 and up. That beats $28 plus shipping, even with the 20% off coupon.

BTW, I am on the California coast by Santa Cruz. We have mild winters, hardly any frost or cold weather so roses grown all year long. It is rare but we have have temps in the 90's. Mainly cool foggy summers and when not raining, sunny winters. We just had a couple of days in the 80's.

I have had roses that are listed as growing height 3-4 ft, grow into monsters. We also have been in a drought, so can't have any water hog roses. And I like strong stem roses not "droopy" head roses. I have Duchesse d Brabant which has beautiful flowers but they all hang down.

Any suggestions, even DA, would be appreciated. Thanks.

Comments (102)