SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
zellycat2

Red and white oak: should my stairs match my flooring?

zellycat2
8 years ago

My house needs all new stairs and hardwood flooring. I want a light, natural color for the floor without the pink hue of red oak and the installer will do select grade white oak with a water-based poly for the same price as red oak with oil-based poly. Awesome!

Unfortunately, the stair guy is charging more than I can afford to upgrade to white oak treads and railings. So my choice is to either have a mismatch and paint or stain the red oak treads a different color or to pass up the opportunity to have white oak installed throughout the rest of the house and just go with red oak everywhere.

Does tread contrast ever really work as well as when it matches? I've looked at a lot of images and I suspect it never does but I'm having a hard time letting go of such an amazing opportunity to have the flooring color I really want. I know I can mismatch if I want to but is it worth ruining the subconscious 'pow' of design elements that flow together perfectly?

The stairs are highly visible since they're in the middle of the house (which is a small split level with a vaulted living room). I'm going for a modern rustic kinda vibe - bright, airy, creative.

Comments (14)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths