SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
etab35

Another request re: handling our own renovation

etab35
8 years ago

The downstream thread on acting as your own GC is really interesting, and there were some useful comments. We are debating this very topic, and I hope you can issue spot for me.

The work: remove existing tile and wood floors (1900 ft2) and replace with wood. Demo kitchen island, replace with new island (same footprint) with larger cooktop. New countertops, which will necessitate new backsplash tile. Replace sink and faucet, island cooktop, downdraft vent. Replace bar cabinet with new cabinet and countertop to house a new wine fridge. Replace tile in powder room and laundry room. New baseboards.

We have solicited bids from cabinet makers, floor guys, and a few GCs. GC#1 bid was so full of "owner to provide" lines that it is almost impossible to evaluate. He even suggested "owner to provide flooring materials, adhesive, grout, etc. " and "owner to provide cabinets," which is exactly the things I asked him to bid on. GC#2 is incredibly detailed and thorough, but his bid came back at $90,000 which is FAR more than we expected. Adding up the individual bids for floors and cabinet maker, along with estimates for tile and countertops came to about $40,000.

Given the cost discrepancy, we're considering handling this ourselves. I work from home, so I am on-site though I work hard and don't necessarily have a ton of time to spend overseeing every minute detail.

Here is the schedule and budget I believe we are dealing with:

1. Order new kitchen island and bar cabinet - 8 weeks lead time. Cabinet-maker will install, but will not demo.

2. Order cooktop, downdraft, blower, sink, faucet, wine fridge (all already selected). Store in garage. Appliance store will install cooktop and downdraft when island is ready. Select and order backsplash tile.

3. Work with single contractor for all wood floors and tile. He is highly recommended by friends who have worked with him, and cost is reasonable. He will demo all floors, prep slab, install wood and tile, and replace baseboards. Start demo and floor work approx. 3 weeks before kitchen island is completed.

4. demo kitchen island and bar cabinet ourselves. We will have to take care of trash.

5. uninstall existing cooktop. My dad is an electrical engineer and very handy, and can uninstall and cap electrical lines.

6. Hire electrician if needed to expand electrical current to meet needs of new cooktop and snake lines for island outlets.

7. Select slab from location that has fabricator and installation included.

8. Cabinet maker will install kitchen island and bar cabinet.

9. Electrical engineer dad to install wine fridge. Or appliance store to install for fee.

10. Counter company to template kitchen with new kitchen island; fabricate; and come back to install. (Do we need to remove existing counter tops from surround counters, or will fabricator do this?)

11. Hire tile guy for new backsplash.

12. Appliance store to install new cooktop.

1. Plumber to hook up new sink, faucet, and disposal.

Does this sound reasonable? I would appreciate any and all feedback.

Comments (11)