SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
htrinh

Okna, Sunrise, Vytex, Alside replacement and new construction

htrinh
8 years ago

We are putting on an addition and thought it would be a good time to replace our original Anderson windows (1970) in the house, many of which don't open. Our contractor was going to use Andersons for the replacement and the 400 series for the new construction but after reading some reviews, I worried we wouldn't be getting good windows in what will essentially be an enlarged family room surrounded by windows.

So I have gotten a bunch of quotes that include Okna, Sunrise, Vytex Fortis and Alside. From what I gather after reading the forums, Alside is not a good window, right? And the other 3 companies seem to be good though preferred in the order I mentioned them. These are the prices I've gotten for them... (they include large 2 cottage style double hung windows, 1 picture window, and 9 small windows, not sure how those bigger windows affect the averages I see people giving)

Okna 1800 - avg $863/window

Okna 800 - avg $805/window

Okna 500 - avg $728/window

Sunrise with latitude glass, U-factor: .29, SHGC .21 - avg $614/window

Fortis Energy saver Plus (R4) - avg $594/window

Fortis Energy Saver Maximum (R5) - avg $594/window (current special promotion)

Alside Mezzo ClimaTech - avg $583/window

The Alside quote is from my current contractor (a good general contractor) and the others are from window companies with a good reputation. Looking at the performance numbers vs cost the Fortis R5 window seems like the best decision. And our thoughts are that whatever windows we choose for the replacements we'd also use for the new addition. (So I have to decide soon!) But I'd like to hear what others think...

Comments (12)