busyasabee_gardenweb

HAVES: 2016 SPRING MAG SWAP (Saturday, May 7) - Plants You Have List

busyasabee
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

2016 SPRING MAG SWAP - Plants You Have List

Saturday, May 7th, 2016 from 10:00am - 1:00pm

Here is a link that might be useful: Gardengramma's Gorgeous Encampment

DIRECTIONS for HAVES LIST: this thread is ONLY for Plants that you Have!!! Separate threads will be opened for Wants & to bring Food

If you're new to the swaps, please take the time and have the courtesy to read these posts. They're here to help everyone have a good time.

New to this Forum? Yes, you can come if you don't have any plants. Your assignment will be to bring brownies (SMILE). Anything chocolate that you'd normally bring to a pot luck will be fine. Extra points if you bring PROTEIN! Chicken / Burgers / Hot Dogs to put on the Grill !!!!

1. Post a list of the plants you HAVE on this thread, ideally with Latin names to avoid confusion, and cultivar names if they have them and you know what they are.

2. List other garden stuff, such as seeds, tools, books / magazines or all things Garden that you wish to swap or give away.

3. Do NOT arrange the swap or trade on this thread, e-mail the person to arrange it.

4. READ other people's lists. If you see things you want and would like to swap or trade for, e-mail the person directly to arrange it. Do that via private e-mail by clicking on your person's name at the top of their post.

5. Do NOT post a list of plants that you want for swapping or trading on this list. There is a separate WANT thread for this purpose.

6. Do NOT discuss who will be bringing what kind of Bavarian apple tart food to the swap. There is a separate HAVE thread for food.

7. Do UPDATE your posting here and on your member page with your Haves and Wants.

THIS IS IMPORTANT:

When you bring your plants, LABEL your plants if possible. We often forget which was what by the time we get them home! Popsicle stick, plastic spoons, recycle old window blinds or other "plantable markers" are great, as they can be popped right in to the ground along with the plant.

Clearly mark & separate your "RESERVED PLANTS" (i.e., plants for which you have a pre-arranged swap).

GENTLE REMINDER: At the swap, please do NOT take anything that is labeled for someone else, or is NOT labeled "Free" or "Please Take." Ask. That's all you have to do.

If I have forgotten anything else, please add to this thread.

Happy Gardening!

Jette

Comments (40)

• sujiwan_gw 6b MD/PA
    8 years ago

I think all regulars know I will bring a selection of tomatoes, eggplants and peppers.

• posierosie_zone7a
    8 years ago

I have a bunch of used pots of all sizes iincluding gallon that I will bring. Will need to make an inventory and see what needs division (to be updated).

• Ann
    8 years ago

Not sure what I will find when spring finally arrives, but I should have plenty of Shasta daisies, some divisions of tartarian asters, maybe a lilac start or two, and a rose of Sharon seedling or two. I will add more as things emerge.

• LynneinMD
    8 years ago

I'm not sure what will come up, but know I will have

-sedum (I think it's autumn fire, it is not autumn joy)

-liriope

-forsythia

-and, a bunch of volunteers from my ?cherry magnolia? tree (it was here when we moved in, see attached blossom pic, I'll add a pic of the tree if I can find one)

• keren_md
    8 years ago

I expect to bring the following, although if you see something you want, let me know so I'll be sure to get it prepped in plenty of time:

Crocosmia (orange)

Kniphofia uvaria (red hot poker - mine are orange-y, more than red)

Blackcurrant starts

Iris domestica (Blackberry lily, leopard lily)

Gooseberry starts (it has green fruit, sorry, that's all I know)

Leucojeum aestivum, looks like Gravetye Giant

Matteuccia struthiopteris (Ostrich fern)

Annual flower seedlings, just depends on what comes up!

Keren_md (zone 7a)

• shadysite
    8 years ago

Keren, for anyone to reply to your list, you have to edit your profile in the advanced settings category. Thanks, shadysite

• shadysite
    8 years ago

I think I will have

shasta daisy

obedient plant

gaillarda (Apricot Blaze, I think)

French marigold (insect deterrent for your vegetable garden)

marjoram

tarragon

oregano

Brugmansia (cream pink trumpet)

Purple echinacea (coneflower)

Leucanthemum chrysanthemum (grown from seed, but it is not an oxyeye, because it is a yellow-brown daisy like flower, similar to blackeyed susan, but more tawny-colored -- has reseeded for several years)

possibly lonicera sempervirens

possibly calendula

I am also going to try digging up some sweet autumn clematis (very pretty white flower in the fall), but be warned it is listed as an invasive groundcover/vine in MD. I grow mine under a tree and I prune it during the summer and to the ground before it seeds and it hasn't misbehaved yet, but it definitely needs control.

May have some other things later.

• madsquopper
    8 years ago

Copied from my trade list; mostly accurate but not guaranteed:

USUALLY HAVE LOTS OF THESE:

Blue Lobelia (Lobelia siphilitica)

Sedums (Weinhenstephaner Gold, Angelina, yellow flowering stonecrop, Blue spruce)

Yellow Evening Primrose (Oenothera biennis)

Tall perennial verbena (Verbena bonariensis)

Obedient plant (Physostegia virginiana)

Spiderwort (Tradescantia), mostly blues/purples

Shasta Daisy (Chrysanthemum maximum)

Perennial Bronze Fennel (Foeniculum vulgare 'Purpurescens')

Cup plant (Silphium perfoliatum)

Cutleaf Coneflower (Rudbeckia laciniata); somewhat aggressive spreader

Unknown goldenrod, probably solidago canadensis

THESE MIGHT BE LIMITED:

Perennial ageratum (Eupatorium coelestinum)

Euphorbia robbiae (nice evergreen, but spreads like a mother)

Siberian Iris (Iris siberica), various purples and blues

Little bluestem grass (Schizachyrium scoparium)

Porcupine grass (Miscanthus strictus)

Miscanthus sinensis unknown cultivar

Mexican feather grass (Stipa tennuifolia)

Cardinal flower (lobelia cardinalis)

Rose Campion (Lychnis coronaria)

Red Stripe Canna Lily

Willow leaf helianthus (tall, as in 10-12 feet)

Purple ice plant (Delosperma cooperi)

Purple Germander (Teucrium canadense)

Golden Hakone Grass (Hakonechloa macra 'Aureola').

• posierosie_zone7a
    8 years ago

I will bring some bearded iris (purple, tall, grape smell). Grows like crazy.

can I reserve some Leucojeum aestivum?

• Ann
    8 years ago

Even with the crazy Spring weather, it looks like I should have some of the following:

Lamium "Archangel", spreads willingly, but a nice ground cover

Lysimachia clethroides (white gooseneck strife), a little aggressive

Campanula takesimana ( white spotted bellflower), spreads (do I see a theme here?)

Kalimeris pinnatifida (white double Japanese aster)

Senecio aureus (Golden Ragwort)

Dwarf Fountain grass

Aster tataricus (beautiful tall fall blooming periwinkle blue)

May have a few seedlings of Virginia Bluebells and one or two volunteer dogwood seedlings.

I'll add more as the weather warms up.

• springplanter
    8 years ago

hI lynne in mD would like to try one of your cherry magnolias but couldn't find a way to send you an email

many thanks

• madsquopper
    8 years ago

Can't edit your own post. I have to punt on the hakone grass; everyone seems to be asking for that and it hasn't spread enough this spring. Need more people to ask about blue lobelia, once again I could easily give away 100.

• sujiwan_gw 6b MD/PA
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

My eggplant is limited this year. I'll have *some*, but not as many or as wide selection as last year. My fault for not checking my seed packet amounts earlier in the year and reordering. On the other hand my pepper and tomato varieties have expanded. :-)

• springplanter
    8 years ago

Hi All: Getting closer and looking forward to seeing everyone again.

My list so far. I may add later when wintersow shows better but for now I have:

In quantity:

carex ice dance I think variegated leaves like liriope but deer proof

pachysandra

vinca, both solid green and variegated

climbing hydrangea

oregano

shasta daisy

mini clivia white only about 15" high blossoms in September

some:

baby hosta which will grow to solid green 10" leaves

few volunteeer trees 12 inches or so cherry and??

lilac Ms Kim (limited)

Will also bring some opened seed packets for veggies

• chris Maryland
    8 years ago

Hi - not sure what I will have but I am planning on bringing some vegetable seedlings in Dixie cups. Will add to this post later.

• mattp321
    8 years ago

Gardening beginner here but I can bring:

northstar cherry tree (5' tall)

A few myrica cerefera (southern wax myrtle) 1g plants.

a few napaea dioica (glade mallow) seedlings 4" pots

a few frost aster seedlings 4" pots.

• ssmdgardener
    8 years ago

I have

monarda 'Raspberry Wine'

Aster tataricus

shasta daisies

I'll be getting there right at 10 and leaving at 11.

• sujiwan_gw 6b MD/PA
    8 years ago

MattP--Of course you can!

• SueEllen Lawton
    8 years ago

I will bring:

• Yucca plants & cuttings - non-variegated
    • Iris bulbs - purple (sorry don't know what kind they are)
    • Peonies - very limited # (believe they are hot pink?)
  • mattp321
    8 years ago

Anyone need any 4" corrugated drainage pipe (the kind with the perforations)? I have about 30' extra leftover from a French drain project.

• Thomas Galloway
    8 years ago

I'll bring some aged compost (previously horse manure)

and maybe some burlap coffee sacks

• shadysite
    8 years ago

Thomas, I LOVE that composted manure. Thanks!

• Ralph Gamba
    8 years ago

I will have some white lily of the valley, black raspberry bushes, and purple flower azaleas. Could also have some common green hostas that are growing in my lawn. Can also bring an euonymus if someone wants one.

• sweetsakura
    8 years ago

I have:

Rue

Tatarian aster

brown-eyed Susan (Rudbeckia triloba)

rose campion

mexican feather grass

NY Aster

Penstemon digitalis (both green-stemmed and 'Huskers Red')

Ribbon grass

• keren_md
    8 years ago

Updating my list... here's my new list, since you can't edit what you put in earlier...

If you see something you want, let me know so I'll be sure to get it prepped in plenty of time, otherwise not all of these will make it into the car! I've made a note if someone has already posted in the WANT thread for this item... but I'll try to bring more.

Pink dicentra - just one, and leucojeum aestivum Gravetye Giant (posie_rosie)

Matteuccia struthiopteris Ostrich ferns - can bring quite a few (posie_rosie and shadysite)

Leatherleaf Mahonia (springplanter)

Crocosmia (orange) - can bring lots

Kniphofia uvaria (red hot poker - mine are orange-y, more than red - Liz M?)

Blackcurrant, red or white/champagne currant, and/or gooseberry cuttings, if asked - easy to root.

Iris domestica (Blackberry lily, leopard lily)

Daylily, red and yellow

Deutzia, I THINK - whatever it is, it's about 2-1/2 to 3 feet tall, covered with white flowers now, robust, spreads politely, and the deer don't touch it.

Grape hyacinths

Bachelor's button seedlings

Springplanter, if no one else has asked for that clivia... would love to have it...

• Liz M
    7 years ago

I HAVE: black-eyed susan (unknown variety, about 24" tall),

sedge/carex grass,

obedient plant (pinkish-purple flowering)

pink yarrow

• kimka
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

It now looks like I will make the swap, although I have had very little time for gardening this last year and done no winter sowing. So my have list is pretty short this year.
    Elephant Ear corms several large and several small
    Lily of the valley white bareroot
    Lots Japanese pachysandra BARE ROOT
    Butterfly bush Nanho blue 2-3 years old (1)
    Rose of Sharon blue bird 1-2 years old, several
    Blackberry lily seeds and maybe others

Spiderwort, maybe in several colors
    Maybe rooted cuttings of brugmansia noid yellow great fragrance

I'll see what else is available

• gardnwatch
    7 years ago

Kim...sent you a message

• posierosie_zone7a
    7 years ago

Karen_Md, thank you for setting those plants aside!

I just got pretty muddy digging up my plants and here is the final list:

2 forsythia that I dug up. Old fashioned type. I can get more --pm me to request.

1 division halcyon hosta (gets really big). Has 3 eyes.

Several smaller hosta, no ID

Ajunga that was growing in my lawn. Enough for several starts. I can dig more if needed as well.

2 types of iris. One that was purple and just finished blooming - one rhizome. The other one is a very prolific grower and I have five. I expect it to bloom in 1-2 weeks.

I have lambs ears that should bloom yellow, but has never bloomed in 4years. I only dug up two little offshoots, but could get more if requested.

I can also dig up some boring yellow daffodils NOID that I have in my backyard. Please let me know or else I will leave them where they are.

• springplanter
    7 years ago

I've just come in from digging around. In addition to what I posted before, here are some additions:

starts of miscanthus ??cabaret?? upright to 5-6' green and white striped leaves

some white lily of the valley

about a dozen 2-4" Japanese maples

a few 6-7" redbuds

1 mimosa about 8"

and some spearmint

not much luck with wintersow this year but will have a few beginning nicotania

some books and magazines

If anyone wants the carex (besides Keren) and hasn't messaged me, please do. The same for the Ms. Kim lilac, otherwise it may not make it

• mattp321
    7 years ago

Have some additional plants if anyone wants them let me know and I'll dig them up:

1. One Baptisia "cherries jubilee" (see my post in perennials forum for pix).

2. Two "Nanking" cherry bushes.

3. One "pow-wow white" coneflower.

4. Two pink coneflowers.

5. One or two year-old "New Jersey tea" bush seedlings.

6. 2 or three Carolina cherry laurel "prunus Carolina" bush/tree seedlings. (Borderline winter hardy in DC)

• sujiwan_gw 6b MD/PA
    7 years ago

Just a reminder that since last year, the swap has had a Facebook page: MidAtlantic Garden Forum.

Mattp321-I'd be interested in a Nanking and NJ Tea. (Where is the e-mail link to contact posters directly?? All I see is 'Follow'.

• nancy123
    7 years ago

The weather has not been cooperating for me to see what's happening outside... I should be able to bring

bleeding heart babies

balloon flower

yarrow

parsley seedlings

• sfmiller
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I should have these. Fair warning: some of these plants were damaged in the recent hailstorm and will look a little (in some cases a LOT) tattered. But everything's potted up and should rebound with time.

Don't necessarily need anything in exchange (I'm short on room). I can always use 3 or 4 inch pots.

ORNAMENTALS

*Penstemon digitalis (seedlings of "Husker Red")
    *perennial geranium (white, vigorous grower)
    *Brugmansia rooted cuttings (gold blooms, early and in profusion; was given to me as "Audrey O," for what that's worth)
    *Salvia darcyi seedlings (brilliant red blooms from midsummer to
    frost, not hardy in my garden but self-seeds reliably and easily grown from collected seed)
    *Salvia guaranitica (cobalt-blue blooms from midsummer to frost--could be either "Black and Blue" or the species, which I actually prefer), small divisions
    *Salvia reptans (upright form; blue blooms in late Sept to frost), small seedlings
    *Amsonia hubrictii (Arkansas blue-star), seedlings

EDIBLES (only a few of each)

*tuscan (lacinato) kale
    *collards

*sage

Steven

(email sfmiller@DELETE THISumd.edu)

• Ann
    7 years ago

Updated addition to my list: Hoya cuttings (NOID)

2 small divisions of Epimedium (yellow bloom)

2 Hellebore (pink bloom) NOID

Burgundy daylily (single bloom) NOID

I know someone was looking for epimedium and hellebore but I forget who it was.

• mattp321
    7 years ago

This is getting ridiculous now:

Bringing some unknown sedums, also 3 liatris spicata, also a small viburnum plicatum (possibly "Japanese snowball" but maybe not).

thats if it can fit in my truck.

• K F
    7 years ago

Hello, I am new to the swap invited by a neighbor that has been in the past. I have a few blue hostas; the pitcher leaf style not the huge giants, and what I believe are common evening primrose - the yellow. Sorry I don't know their scientific names; these were here when I moved into the house. See you all tomorrow!

• posierosie_zone7a
    7 years ago

Hi Everyone, I wanted to say thank you for all the wonderful plants and setting aside items. I'm so impressed by everyone's generosity!

I have already planted everything and they look great (except for the elephants ear - I was listening!!)

• keren_md
    7 years ago

Likewise!! It was so wonderful actually meeting everyone and thank you SO very much for your generosity! Gardengramma, thank you especially for hosting, and providing such a gloriously beautiful place for us to meet. (You did am amazing job dialing up the weather as well).

Since I got there without my leucojeum or redhot poker I'd be open to making one-off arrangements. I had to get the leucojeum right back into the ground but I can dig some more. Some people also mentioned a possible fall meeting? Which of course would be better for leucojeum, peonies, other fall-dormant plants...

One other note - I thought I'd be able to tell people this as we traded but it was a little too chaotic -- in our area we have a serious problem with Japanese stilt grass, very invasive in the woods near us. I don't know if it's widespread but I don't want to be responsible for spreading it. I'm pretty sure I did not include any ride-alongs in my trades, BUT, stilt-grass makes a lot of seed. It's incredibly easy to pull up and easy to kill, but if it goes to seed, it makes an awful lot. Don't let anything grassy come up in your transplants...

Sponsored