SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greenhouse2

Alternative to Mustee Durastall shower kit??

Kim
8 years ago

HI - we are planning a remodel of a half bath on our first floor (we found some extra space in a wall which will give us enough room to add a small neo angle shower - yeah!) We are going to have a plumber out here to do the work and have easy access from the unfinished scary 110 year old basement underneath the bathroom. In this basement corner there is a gross Mustee durastall shower which is great for dirty jobs but I want to rip out and replace. The basement does not need a bathroom - just a shower. Is there any alternative to Mustee? Could I build a "box" of sorts and install a fiberglass kit? Could use some creative thinking. Thank you!

Comments (4)

• kats737
    8 years ago

I would probably just get a pre made acrylic or fiberglass kit - they usually come in a couple of pieces and are RTA. They do the job and have been around for quite some time. It'd probably be harder to source your own fiberglass panels and fabricate them than it would be for the minimal savings.

Kim thanked kats737
  • Kim
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I keep looking for something like that but they all seem to require that they go into studded out walls. The Mustee ones are completely free standing and don't require building out the space to install. Perhaps I am not searching correctly?

• kats737
    8 years ago

Yeah, I did some googling and it seems like that brand really has the market cornered, at least in the US.

What is your goal in improving the shower? If simply to lessen the ick factor at a low cost, I would buy a new replacement unit. Even if you built a box with treated lumber, put up some fiberglass panels and sealed all the seams, it still seems like the cost/benefit is comparable to just buying a new mustee unit. The only cheap fix I could think of is doing something like spraying it with Krylon Fusion paint to liven up the surface. But you would have to take some time to prep it.

If you're overall trying to start improving the basement space, get yourself some nice straight 2x4s and a framing gun and having a go to frame out a place to put the shower.

• ssrichards
    2 years ago

Did you ever find a solution? Five years later Mustee is all that comes up for me too in my search for a stand alone shower!