SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
margi46

Red Blotch of death

I was going to pot up a few of my MANY amaryllis this afternoon. I have been fighting the red blotch fungus for some time. Recently I read to remove the brown, loose, papery layers before planting, so I did that on the first bulb and found that the inner layers are reddish and soggy. I checked the next one and found the same situation. These pictures are of the two sides of the third one I looked at today. Same thing. What's an amaryllis lover to do?

Late last summer, heading into fall I sprayed the plants (planted directly in my vegetable garden) with a fungicide several times at about a one week interval. As I prepped the bulbs for winter storage i powdered the bare bulbs with captan, put each bulb in an open brown paper lunch sack which had a small handful of vermiculite/potting mix tossed in the bottom of the sack. Then into an open container and stashed in the basement in a location that has bare concrete on three sides, the remaining sides are insulated, but not airtight, so I believe this is a cool part of the basement. I'm !ot sure what more I could have done, and I'm not sure if I will have ANY surviving bulbs this year. Anyone have any advice for me? My flock is about 35, many of which are offspring of a bulb my mother grew from seed close to 30 years ago. I would be sick to lose this strain.

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Schlabach Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars16 Reviews
Franklin County's Reclaimed Wood Professionals
More Discussions