SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
a_durecki

using the pottty

a_durecki
8 years ago

My son is 2 1/2 and we have been potty training him. Just the other day right after he gets done using the potty and I put his pull up back on he will squish the front of his pants to tell me he has to use the potty when I know he just used the bathroom so I will put him back on the potty and he will try using the potty but nothing comes out what does this mean? Could it possible be that he has a UTI?

Comments (3)

• tete_a_tete
    8 years ago

Has he been using the potty very frequently to show you how clever he is?

This is fine (it's good to be clever) but I know that as a general rule of thumb it is better for our bladders not to urinate every five minutes. We are better off to train our bladders to hold on.

Perhaps you can say to him (if you think he is trying to urinate too often) "That's very good, ____. You've done so well. Now, let's see if you can NOT go the potty until the big hand is on the four (or something like that). Give him something to work with and please you about.

There is an 'old wive's tale' that infrequent urination causes urinary tract infections but it is actually the opposite that is true.

I wouldn't be alarmed at this point.

• lindac92
    8 years ago

He's 2 1/2....well able to control his bladder. Take the pull ups off and put him in regular superhero underpants. Those thick pull ups don't really let them know when they are wet. Do you think your grandmother tolerated a 2 1/2 year old in diapers that she had to wash with a wringer and hang on the line?
    High quality disposable diapers have created their own market. They are fabulous for the first 12 months....but after that the child needs to be aware of when he or she has wet.

• cooks
    8 years ago

I think your son is just practicing verbally to say I want to use the potty and impress you...he seems to be smart enough to understand what to say when using the potty and how to show you too.

I also agree with linda. My daughter is 2.5 years old and wears regular underpants (2T-3T). I think she got potty trained easily with underpants, as she didnt like the feeling of being wet and she realized that to avoid that she has to pee in the potty. The pull ups just prolong potty training...unless of course they are a requirement by a daycare.

Using regular underpants will be more washing up for a month or so, but its much easier after that. My daughter tells me when she needs to poop, but not for pee. I sit her on the potty every few hours. She is slowly starting to tell me about pee...but not all the time.

Cooks.

Sponsored