SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
susan_walker56

Flooring for kitchen with dark cherry cabinets and black granite

Susan Walker
8 years ago

Hi all, I am putting new flooring in my condo for my kitchen/dining area/living room, which are all part of one big room, essentially. I'm currently leaning toward using wood-look tile (the flooring is being replaced because of a flood that started two units above mine, so the thought of flooring that won't be ruined if this happens again is particularly appealing). I'm having trouble figuring out what color flooring would work best with the design of the kitchen, which unfortunately isn't changing much because of the cost. The kitchen has dark cherry wood cabinets and black granite countertops, so I'm looking to try to lighten things up a bit. Any suggestions?

I'm also repainting the walls, and would love paint color suggestions as well!

Here's a picture of the kitchen. This picture is from before I bought the condo, so the counters are less cluttered and I don't have a rug in there. You can't tell from this picture, but the left side of the kitchen is open to the dining area. As part of this process, I am planning to take down the black granite backsplash and replace it with something lighter, but can't afford to do new counter tops or cabinets (and don't want to paint the cabinets I have).

Here's a picture from the rest of the room (taken from the entryway, with the kitchen on my right). This is also from before I owned the place, but gives you an idea of what the room is like. I hate the dark crown molding and baseboards, so will be making those white.

Here's a picture of part of the dining area and living room now. It's not a great picture, but will hopefully give you an idea of the current decor.

Comment