SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
christopher_rivello

Need help choosing new a/c unit

Hello,

I live in a 26 year old 2800 sq ft home in Cincinnati, OH. I have lived here almost two years. I am looking to replace a 26 year old Trane XE800 3 Ton unit. I currently have a 7 year old XV95 variable speed gas furnace with an ecm that I am not looking to replace. I have had three reputable contractors come out. All of them said after doing manual J to replace with 3 ton unit. All of the quotes included the following. New refrig lines, new wiring, new outdoor pad, new outdoor disconnect. All of them said that the thermostat I currently have is fine and would not need to be replaced. Here is where the quotes differ.

Quote 1 Bryant

Recommended 16 Seer single stage 116BNA Legacy. The warranty covers ten years of parts and labor. Final price is $4,240

Quote 2 Trane

Recommended 16 Seer single stage XR16. The warranty covers 10 years parts and 5 years labor. Includes one year of maintenance. Final price $4,351. This contractor also gave me a price for moving the unit from the back to the side of my home for an additional $200

Quote 3 Amana

Recommended 16 Seer single stage but did not provide model number. 10 years parts and 5 years labor warranty. Lifetime warranty to replace unit if compressor fails. Final price $4,833. This contractor did not recommend moving the unit because he said the additional length would degrade the efficiency of the unit.

Can anyone provide their two cents. If you need more info let me know.

Comments (8)