SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_6734079

Two 75 gal. gas water heaters - replace?

User
8 years ago

Our home is nearly 9 yrs. old and has the two original Rheem PowerVent2 75 gal. gas water heaters in the basement.

Our hot water just developed an off odor that might mean the anode rods need to be replaced, or it could indicate something more serious. Given that the current Rheem water heaters similar to ours are called "6 Year" W/Hs, should we go ahead and replace the water heaters now? If so, should we have two 75 gal. tank style W/Hs installed, similar to the current ones? Or are new models efficient enough to supply 6+ showers with one 75 gal. and one smaller W/H?

Is there any benefit to installing a small tank W/H that feeds into a gas tankless W/H? I'm thinking that might reduce the water wasted if the tankless is supplied with water that's already 100+ instead of ground temp. We have very high sewer rates here (based on & >2X the cost of water supply) so I want to minimize the amount of water run while waiting on heat.

In a previous house, we had a recirculating system but we ended up turning it off because our gas bills were so high when it was in use. There, the cost of gas outweighed the water/sewer cost. I'm wondering if a recirculating system on a timer might be a good idea here when the W/Hs are replaced. Do they function well with either tank or tankless heaters?

Thanks for your help.

Comments (2)