SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mayflowers1

Backsplash help: mixed neutrals subway tile?

mayflowers
8 years ago

Hoping to finally do our backsplash this spring. Our quartz is greige with white squiggles. Color-matching tile to the greige looked boring and I won't do white with all the warm colors in my home, but I can't see introducing a different color. So I'd been thinking I'd add interest with a different size subway tile or a different shape ceramic tile.

I came across this photo and could see how mixing three neutrals, including white and greige, could give me pattern with tone-on-tone color, which I've always loved.

I went looking for kitchen examples and found this Ann Sacks tile, which is a mix of the colors in one of her lines. I think it's only two colors. I like the addition of white in the above photo. My sink is Silgranite in a color very similar to the darker Ann Sacks color. I think this size tile looks too cottage-y for my kitchen, which has some transitional elements. I would need design help from the tile experts to pick a tile size.

Traditional Kitchen · More Info

My natural cherry cabinets have darkened since these first photos of my kitchen, which is now four years old.

Kitchen photos · More Info

Hoping to replace the chandelier.

I also love this tile with white grout. It's close to my counter color.

Stanwich Road · More Info

So what do you think? Mix it up? Don't mix it up?

Comments (139)

• mayflowers
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

That color might work. Is their gloss a high gloss? It doesn't look very reflective in the photo, which is good.

The 2x6 is also $15.

• eam44
    8 years ago

Alas, gardenia is not a matte or a satin glaze, but a gloss. My guess is you'll only know if it's too glossy for you when you see it. Yes, the 3" X 6", 2" X 6" and 4" square are all $15/SF. If you're interested in a matte finish, you might consider Feldspar or Ivory, but they're $28/SF tiles. Below is Feldspar.

mayflowers thanked eam44
  • Related Discussions

Please HELP! Maple Cabinets & White Subway Tile Backsplash

Q

Comments (8)
    nik, Welcome! A couple of thoughts: if you love absolute black but are worried about maintenance, look at a leathered finish. It is much more forgiving than the polished finish to smudges, etc. There might be a reason you aren't seeing a lot of pictures with your color cabs and white tile - you might be right and it might be too bright. Try to get some sample tiles and bring them home and tape them to the wall to get an idea. You might find the answer really fast! Check the Finished Kitchen blog and Backsplash slideshow (link to FKB below, backsplash slideshow at FKB) for more pics to see if anyone else has done it - there are lots of successful rule breakers here! Maybe consider an off-white subway. Again checking a sample in your kitchen with your cabs and counter will help. If you both love the glass mosaic you might be able to incorporate it in a small area - like behind the backsplash or as an accent with 2 or 3 rows of mosaic between rows of subway - there are some examples in the finished backsplashes. Finally, congrats on making it this far! Here is a link that might be useful: Finished Kitchens
    ...See More

Help with color for subway tile backsplash. Daltile biscuit?

Q

Comments (8)
    Thank you both so much! These both help me to decide that Biscuit it is! Rhome410 - Following your link to the other photos was especially helpful because I was also afraid I would lose some of the shine that I think is so pretty with a whiter white subway (if that makes sense), but not so! Weedyacres, the shot of your whole kitchen helped me to see that once I paint my cabinets to match it's going to look great! Thank you both so much! Now I have 1 more question....Rhonme410, It looks like your has a slightly grey grout to enhance the tile but I'm afraid doing that will compete too much with our granite so looking to match the tile as best as I can which is what it looks like you did Weedyacres. Can you tell me what grout color you chose & brand?
    ...See More

Turquoise subway tile backsplash...help me find tiles!

Q

Comments (3)
    Nice! If you can't contact the designer of the kitchen in the photo, you could probably make your own mix. Try Fireclay for the colors (free samples online, but if you're in the bay area, go to a showroom).
    ...See More

Please help identify this Grout Color for White Subway Tile Backsplash

Q

Comments (2)
    I know that yogurt commercial picture is tough to really see the grout. But any suggestions for a good light tan or simply off white grout color to use?
    ...See More
  • oldbat2be
    8 years ago

may - Don't forget you can order 5 of the same color, of their free samples, to see variation. Shipping is $5. Gardenia is variation level V2.

mayflowers thanked oldbat2be
  • oldbat2be
    8 years ago

How about this blend from Fireclay? Brick cotton and snow, $18 sf.

mayflowers thanked oldbat2be
  • mayflowers thanked Karen Eagle
  • mayflowers
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I looked last night and thought Feldspar was the best color because I need a little warmth/yellow undertone. Fireclay's glossy doesn't sound very shiny from their glaze descriptions that I read last night.

I also need a bullnose tile because the tile starts midwall. Won't do a Schluter. That's why the saleswoman at United Tile directed me to Sonoma--it has the most neutral colors and has bullnose. Unfortunately it's $30 sq.ft., maybe $25 in a different size. I only got the 2 x 4 price. I don't mind paying more for an accent tile behind the range as I consider it art, but I'd rather spend $15 for field tile.

I've always felt that a chimney hood or a large hood needs something behind it or under it. I don't like the look of solid subways. I'm not really a huge fan of subways in general. If I were to do an all-over tile, I'd rather do a hexagon, but that's a big design commitment.

• makmartell
    8 years ago

It seems that Fireclay does do trim pieces, at least according to this: Fireclay Guide to Tile Trim.

• mayflowers
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you! When you look at their sizes, they don't show the trim pieces. Most companies do show them.

I'm not seeing that PDF on their website. I need to explore it more. I didn't consider Fireclay seriously because I thought they didn't have bullnose.

• makmartell
    8 years ago

I had to dig a little - I put bullnose in the search box, clicked on one of the results, and from that page, there was a button that said 'click here for trim options' and that led to the pdf. A little cuckoo that it's not easier to find - but they do seem to have lots of options, thankfully.

• mayflowers
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you for going through all that effort. It opens up a lot more possibilities.

• eam44
    8 years ago

Yeah, it used to be listed with the tile sizes. Now, if you click on your color, you can select your tile size or trim from a pull down menu. Depending on your glaze you have a multitude of trim options, including a 6" quarter round for $15 a linear foot that you can use to frame your mosaic.

May, I really like the 2" X 6" field tile. Is that at all to your liking? If not, then we should keep looking. I don't know that I would mix a hex tile with the tiny squares of your mosaic, but there are other options.

If gardenia isn't too glossy for you, you could do the whole bs in 4" squares at the $15 price point, and lay them out as diamonds, then use the quarter round for your frame around the calacatta square mosaic.

• mayflowers
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I do like the 2x6. No, I wouldn't mix the hex. I mentioned it as an overall shape alternative to subway. I also think the diamond shape is too traditional.

The Gardenia could work. It's probably not much different than the vanilla tile I have home.

A warm white finish with hints of soft yellow undertones, this sun-kissed neutral lends spaces an inviting elegance with minimal variation.

When Fireclay says they use recycled materials for their clay, is it a different appearance than other tiles?

• eam44
    8 years ago

Not at all. Their tile is gorgeous in person. Order the free samples, then buy a few more for, I think, $2 a pop. Get enough pieces in enough colors that you feel comfortable making that choice.

• mayflowers
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Will do! Thank you all for bringing up Fireclay again!

Has anyone used their design service?

• cluelessincolorado
    8 years ago

I was looking at babushka_cat's kitchen for something and her backsplash made me think of this thread

http://www.ceramichegrazia.it/Prodotti/MELANGE.pdf

• romy718
    8 years ago

Everytime I see this post on the GW kitchen page, I admire the photo of the mixed neutral tiles. Clueless, that's a very nice collection of mixed tiles.

• mayflowers
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I remember babusha_cat's kitchen. The Melange tiles were popular on GW when I was planning my kitchen, and then everyone went crackle crazy. The tile store a few miles from me has them. It would be an easier way of getting the mixed tile look.

I like it better on their pdf where there's less of the dark color.

• eam44
    8 years ago

Hi May, just checking in. Have you gotten any samples that you like?

• mayflowers
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I did. You're were right on about Gardenia. In some light it's almost the same color as my counter. I also like Tusk, a warm white. The problem is the undertones of the neutral tiles shift into pink or gray in certain light, and that makes me nervous to do an entire backsplash in a neutral. However, I have a sample of Sand Dune, a crackle, and that's very pretty. It has tan/gold/olive undertones. I think my counter has more of a yellow undertone than I realized. But I don't want crackle.

I put together an Ideabook after finding a new inspiration photo and sent a design help request to Fireclay. Brittany helped me with colors after looking through my Ideabook. She sent me eight samples. I asked about doing a mosaic in Tusk, Gardenia, and Sand Dune, and she informed me they don't do their crackles in mosaics. Rats! I still love the Encore mosaics where there's a mix of crackles, glazed, matte, marble, stone--anything you want, really. So I need to find a mosaic if I decide on that design, though I could still use Fireclay Tusk or Gardenia as field tile.

Go look at my Ideabook labeled Kitchen Backsplash Project. I know we have different tastes so it's okay if you don't like it. It's probably just a matter of running across the right tile in person, but I can't get into Portland that often. I still plan on going to Pratt and Larson. They have a lot of mosaics on their website.

• eam44
    8 years ago

You've made a lot of progress then! That's great. The hardest part is figuring out what you want. So what if they don't do a crackle mosaic at Fireclay. You'll find it somewhere else. I looked at your idea book. Not 100% sure which one you're looking for, but if you want another pair of eyes to find it, let me know, I'd be happy to scour the web with you.

• mayflowers
    Original Author
    8 years ago

The Sand Dune crackle would have given me a dark contrast and it was my favorite tile. With Encore, I could have used Calacatta as one of my choices in a mixed mosaic. Do you know of any tile companies that offer Calacatta with ceramic in a mosaic? Or honey onyx? I would just want a touch of the natural stone.

• eam44
    8 years ago

I've never seen either stone in a mosaic with ceramic tile...only linear mosaics with glass tiles. But you can be the first... You can look at hex or subway tiles of the same size in both materials (be aware of the tile thickness) and see if you like the look when combining them yourself. I like the idea.

• mayflowers
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks, eam. All the colors in that Calacatta subway tile are perfect. I wouldn't mind glass as part of a mosaic mix either.

This is Sand Dune with Calacatta hexagons. I'm picturing both tiles plugged into my drawing and I think it would work. I didn't like Fireclay's ceramic hexagons.

Kitchen Backsplash Project · More Info

• eam44
    8 years ago

Oh that's pretty! So Sand Dune in a 3" X 6" subway and Calacatta Gold hex tiles at the stove? With maybe a few 3" X 6" marble tiles thrown in at random here and there? Sand Dune is a lot costlier than Gardenia, so that sucks a little, but if it's a better match, that's a no-brainer.

• eam44
    8 years ago

Fireclay Tile is 5/16" thick. I found 2" hex tile Calacatta Gold mosaics at Stone Center Online for a reasonable price. You can get them elsewhere cheaper, but not at the same thickness.

• rebunky
    8 years ago

If that is the sand dune, in the middle of the photos eam posted, I think it is beautiful with the calacatta. The bathroom picture looks much grayer, but I know how lighting changes colors.

You are getting close now Mayflowers!

• mayflowers
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I hope so, rebunky! I'm afraid my tile guy will retire before I can get this done!

I would have never thought to look at thickness, eam. Thank you! I'm wondering if there will be enough gold veining in the mosaic. Some sheets show a lot of plain white and gray. I don't mind paying more for accent tile since I don't need too many sheets. I haven't shopped locally for marble yet.

Sand Dune is darker than the photo from Fireclay's website. It's closer to the photo shown and the Stanwich Road tile in the first post. But I can use any tile in that color--I don't need to use Fireclay. Sonoma is in the same price range. I'd prefer a hand-glazed tile with pooling but not crackle. Any suggestions of other tile companies in the $20 or under range that has lots of colors?

• mayflowers
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Rebunky, remember the dilemma of how to tie in the feature under the hood to the surrounding tile? Chimney hoods with mosaics usually have tile all the way from the counter to the ceiling, but I don't like the waterfall look. I found this photo where the mosaic is framed in subway tiles. But I'd use a wider column of mosaics.

Eagle Estates · More Info

I'm not sure if it will look as good with my hood style because less of the accent tile will show above the hood. So could you all picture the Calacatta hexes going inside the framed area? Or another shape besides a hex? The 1/2" Walker Zanger Calacatta Villa d'Oro would have been pretty but I think it would be a cleaning nightmare behind a range.

Kitchen Backsplash Project · More Info

• eam44
    8 years ago

I'm so glad if I'm helpful at all, May. You absolutely have to hand choose your mosaic sheets, meaning, if you're buying them online, you have to be aware of the return policy. And don't rule out the mosaic sheet you so love.

There are sooooo many handmade tile manufacturers in the US, we are truly lucky. But almost none of them lists prices online. This is due in part to the fact that they are usually purchased through architects and designers, and their prices vary. Other larger producers don't list prices because they want your contact info. This is not how I do business, so I tend to ignore these boutique offerings, but for you, I will put my nose to the grindstone and look for alternatives!

• eam44
    8 years ago

Have you looked at the glazes over at Heath Ceramics? They have overstock tile that goes for a song. Finding the right tile in the right glaze is never quick, but they have 36 square feet of 1st quality 2" X 6" subways in Canvas glaze for $16/SF at the moment.

Admittedly, it's no Sand Dune... And I'd probably go for Gardenia before I went for Canvas, but you might want to order a sample.

• eam44
    8 years ago

Ok, one other possibility....have you considered making the marble the field tile, and the ceramic the accent? I mean 3" X 6" Calacatta Gold subway sprinkled with a few Sand Dunes here and there, and a Sand Dune trim surrounding Calacatta Gold Hex tiles over the range?

• mayflowers
    Original Author
    8 years ago

That would be interesting to do the entire backsplash in Calacatta subways with random tiles of Sand Dune. There is a $150 small order charge for Fireclay. I have to find a shop that has Calacatta samples. Maybe the Ann Sacks store in Portland. I also wonder if Pratt and Larson may not be too expensive for a ceramic field tile.

Were you once in the tile business, eam?

• eam44
    8 years ago

Never, May. I'm a scientist. I just love, love, love tile

• mayflowers
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Me too, eam.

This Encore mosaic would be really pretty behind the hood. I have some dark reds in my home.

• eam44
    8 years ago

Would be beautiful, instead of the Calacatta Gold, if you love it. I would go back to a green field tile with this one, I think.

• rebunky
    8 years ago

I really like that last one because it has more of a wow factor. It is still very neutral though if that makes sense. The other calacatta gold mixed mosaics were nice but making everything monochromatic beige. Which is fine if that's what you are after. I just think with your flooring and counters being a similar off white and beige, nothing stood out as the star. The behind the range feature here would definitely be the star!

mayflowers thanked rebunky
  • mayflowers
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I like it! That color family would make my living room, dining room, and kitchen look so coordinated you'd think I hired a designer! The only reason I'd do a neutral is for resale. We're not changing our upholstery and paint colors so that would always work for us while we're in this home.

I bet that mosaic comes in any of the Encore mosaic shapes.

• isabel98
    8 years ago
    I vote for classic calacatta. Love u idea of mixing in the plain fields. The mosaic will look dated sooner especially just behind the range. You can add your red accents in more temporary ways. IMHO.
    mayflowers thanked isabel98
  • eam44
    8 years ago

Consider it in conjunction with Sand Dune...do the neutrals in your mosaic blend as well as they appear to in reb's image? If so, great. If not, perhaps you should look at Encore field tiles and not worry so much about whether they exactly match the counter.

• cluelessincolorado
    8 years ago

Your cabinets are just beautiful mayflowers. I think that every time I see a photo of them, but I don't think I've ever said anything.

• rebunky
    8 years ago

I looked at some of the other shapes on the Encore site, but I like that one you picked the best. I don't know why, but I just love the way the colors in the green jade (with the red) look when cut long and skinny like that. It almost looks like a fabric print. The more I look at it the more I love it. I don't think it looks dated. It is a classic modern look with a Mayflower twist. :-)

• isabel98
    8 years ago
    It's does look great now. I didn't mean it was already dated I just meant that this linear shape will date much quicker.

If you love it go for it
  • Karen Eagle
    8 years ago

I like the arabesque/wave

mayflowers thanked Karen Eagle
  • mayflowers
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I would expect that Calacatta as a field tile would be too expensive for this kitchen.

Thanks for getting those mosaics off their website, rebunky. I like the stick mosaic but I'd probably use something more like the 1 x 3 brick. I love squares but I know that's a dated look. The wave tile is dimensional. There's also a hexagon and a mini herringbone mosaic. I'm never quite sure what you can get in which finish from Encore. Confusing website.

I'll think about adding color in green and/or red if I do a mosaic. If I was able to get Encore, which would probably involve going to Seattle for an overnighter, I may be able to get a field tile in the Bravo line.

Thanks, guys. Next step is getting out to some tile stores.

• mayflowers
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you for the compliment on the cabinets, clueless. They did a nice job of picking out premium wood for the most part. I like my slab drawers the best. This is before they darkened.

The doors have nice flaming.

• eam44
    8 years ago

May, the reason I suggested using the Calacatta Gold as field tiles is that they cost less than the $18.50/SF that Sand Dune would cost. They are in the $16/SF range online. And you love them! But keep looking till you find a combination in budget that you feel good about. Let us know whether we can be helpful!

• mayflowers
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Now that I think of it, I kind of remember you mentioning price in this thread and it was less than I expected. I'll look into finding a local source. Thanks, eam.

Sand Dune, being a crackle tile, is $28 sq. ft.

• eam44
    8 years ago

I thought it was 28 as well but I swear it was $18.50 earlier today. But I've been gardening. It's hard to see straight....