SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jpmom

Cooktop wall - Need to decide on upper cabinet

jpmom
8 years ago

As some of you know - we are updating our kitchen. Keeping 90% of cabinets and painting them White Dove. New counters, backsplash and appliances.

I need to make a decision on the cooktop wall this week.

I'm doing a chimney hood with tile to the ceiling.

36" cooktop with a 42" hood.

We considered removing all cabinets and just tile the wall but that is no longer an option. (love the look, but can't give up the storage)

Current cabinet run:

As you can see, we have a window on the left. We plan to remove all the uppers and have right cabinet made the size of the window, in order to create some balance. The 42" hood will fit exactly between the window and the new cabinet- butting up against each.

The new cabinet will be 30" wide.

We are considering to have the cabinet go all the way down to the countertop, with an appliance garage on the bottom to house my knife block, wooden spoons, olive oil and salt/pepper (the things that i use every day) -- You can see from the photo above -- those things will be hidden when not in use.

Mayflowers had recommended one door, that opened to the right - but the cabinet maker won't do that due to the possibility of warpage. (a single 30" cabinet is quite wide)

I don't mind two doors - as that's what we've had for the past 10 years, and we are used to it.

My KD made the suggestion of a cabinet, but with open shelves.

I like it - but then where do I put my knife block etc.

(note - I won't have a modern hood like that, and my window is white molding/trim)

She also mocked up this, but she wasn't too sure about the appliance garage, and if it looked balanced with the open shelving.

I asked her to do four more mock ups:

1. Cabinet with Open shelves. No appliance garage - two drawers instead. Knives and wooden spoons etc. can go in drawers.

2. Cabinet with closed doors (2). Appliance garage below.

3. Normal Cabinet - not to the counter. Closed with 2 doors. Tile will be exposed below.

4. Normal Cabinet w/ open shelves - not to the counter.

The other consideration, is if I do a closed cabinet, should it be glass front? I was concerned about grease, etc from the cooktop…. but with the 42" hood over the 36" cooktop, perhaps I shouldn't worry.

It's not been easy to find example photos, but here are a few:

See open shelving (far right) - but with 2 drawers or appliance garage on bottom portion

Atherton, California Luxury Home by Markay Johnson Construction · More Info

Open shelving - not to counter

kitchens · More Info

This is a similar hood as mine:

Crisp Architects · More Info

Cabinet to counter, drawer on the bottom:

****One of my initial inspiration photos -- this is a pretty close example of what I'm working with - window and cabinet with cooktop/hood in between.

My cabinet would be wider than this….

Thanks for the feedback! You guys have helped so much.

Comments (12)