SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lite1

Pros/cons for who does window installation

lite1
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I can have GC install the windows, or have it done by the regional dealer for Loewen windows. What are pros/cons?

New modern home with about 37 windows from 3/0 5/0 casements to 7 mulled units @ with > 50 SF of glazing; only one 6/0 sliding door. All are metal clad wood windows. House is in high desert area of Oregon.

GC is very competent and I expect he or Loewen dealer would each do a good installation. I have not gotten any pricing from either on installation labor.

Perhaps it is reading too much on this forum, but while one expects/hopes not to have window problems on day 1 or year 3 or year 10, it'd be nice to have more confidence, and to have good service when needed. Also nice to avoid finger-pointing. GC lives close to job site; Loewen dealer is based 2.5 hours away in Portland, so that is huge difference.

GC is heading toward retirement, and is small, build one house at a time type operation. Loewen dealer is larger, has deeper pockets, supplies a lot of product to the Bend, Oregon area; would be where I'd contact for any warranty issues; and if they do installation have less wiggle room to point fingers.

I have very good relationship with GC, and don't think he'd be insulted by my considering having dealer do installation; and might welcome not having to deal with windows. He has only worked with Loewen windows once several years ago, but installation as far as I know will not be different from doing high end Pella, or Marvin windows.

I guess my ideal would be (assuming similar cost) to have Loewen dealer install things, with understanding that they'd consider having GC be paid for any after day 1 minor adjustments that might be needed.

How would you approach this?

P.S. Also would consider having Loewen dealer just do the large mulled units which are the most expensive; heaviest, and perhaps most vulnerable to problems.

Comments (7)

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm