SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
skyblue52

OBF Febuary :Bloom where you are planted

skyblue52
8 years ago

Our Blooming Friends Swap Group (OBF) was created to have a reliable, fair and safe haven to swap and trade between group members. If you care to join us, we would love to have you. Please be a successful member of Houzz/GardenWeb and have completed a trade with two or three of our members. Membership requests should be sent to Shirley/Brittneysgran.

Please take a moment to read our rules and then, Have fun!

1. Send your swap by posted deadline for each swap.

2. No bickering. This is meant to be fun for everyone.

3. Send things that you yourself would want to receive.

4. Always include a Delivery Confirmation number and post it when you send the package.

Bloom Where you are Planted

Lets look at our wonderful life where we are now. What makes you smile. It can be about your state, weather, jobs, and activities that support what we love. Pick a theme about where you live, include 2 items showing what makes it special.

Sign up by Feb. 7th and I'll post partners Hope we all have fun with this theme.

Comments (160)

• brittneysgran
    8 years ago

Erica-I mailed your pkg. Friday and you should have gotten it today. If not today maybe tomorrow.

Jayeanne-As I told you in my e-mail we spent the week-end in Sevierville, TN and just got home Sunday. What a treat to receive such a fantastic package from you.

Amaryllis Belladonna -(Yeah...after seeing all the amaryllis pictures I now have one).

Lycoris Radiata- Beautiful

Bearded Iris ' Cherub's Smile' -Love the color.

Dahlia - 'Strawberry Ice' - Perfect

Seeds: Zinger Hibiscus 'Herbal Tea', Heirloom Sweet Peas 'Queen of Hearts'.

Butterfly Suet Feeder Holder and Wild Bird Feed Cherry Treat.

Beautiful Valentine Card.

Jayeanne what a wonderful choice of bulbs, seeds and bird treats. The suet bird treats are my favorite and I know by the way the birds devour them theirs also. Thank you so very much.

Melinda-Hope you will get to return home soon and glad you are out of the hospital.

I was hoping 2016 would be a better year than the last two and darn if I did not wake up Sunday morning with vertigo. Just have to take one day at a time I guess and get over this hurdle.

Shirley

• brittneysgran
    8 years ago

Melinda-I sent your Birthday card to your home so it should be there for you when you return. You are the only active OBF member with a February Birthday. Blessings and love to you my Friend.

Amber-I will e-mail you on joining the group. Thanks for your interest and you are just in time for our March swap.

Shirley

• Related Discussions

new: obf- junes white elephant plant swap

Q

Comments (144)
    MELISSA - chooses #9 SHIRLEY - chooses #3 JEN - chooses #7 REMY - chooses #4 SUE N - chooses #2 SUE G -chooses # HEIDI- chooses #10 CAROL- chooses #5 FAYE MELLEN VINA Sue G choose again Think WAYYYYYYY big on the total # of employees Everyone guess again Shirley
    ...See More

WANTED: Febuary Pow Wow!

Q

Comments (17)
    Since my car is buried in 6' of snow in a ditch 1/2 mile from my house I don't think I'm gonna make it... ...there I was on my way home from work... been driving for nearly 3 hours in nearly whiteout conditions. I was 1/2 mile from the house and came upon a large truck stuck in a ditch and blocking the road. SO I backed up and went around another route. It was 2 miles farther, but still faster than waiting for him to get pushed out. Then I finally turned onto my own street and right in front of me another truck slid sideways and got stuck blocking the whole 2 lane road. After about a half hour the guys got tired of trying to push him out of the ditch and I attempted to go around him by driving in the postman's tracks...but I got stuck. They were able to push me back into the center of the road and I continued on. I thought the hard part was going to be the double hairpin turn right at the top of the dip into the creek bottom, but I got through that without too much proble. I had only two 90* turns between me and the house. I rounded the next to last turn and started up that hill. I got about 30 yards up and the car stopped going forward and started sliding backwards. So I let off the gas and the brakes and just let it slide slowly into the ditch. Fortunately I didn't hit anything hard, but when I stepped out of the car I sank up to my hips in snow. When I made it around to the other side of the car I grabbed my purse, phone(which doesn't work out here), keys and the six baby chicks I just bought on the way home and put them inside my coat, and walked the rest of the way home. The chicks made it home OK, it's lovely out there and we went out and built a snowman with our little grandson this morning. We've lost a beautiful old cedar tree down front, but everything else looks like it came through all right. I called the insurance company to see if I could get pulled out and towed home, but they won't come out because our road won't get plowed since we are in unincorporated Springtown. Little Red is going to spend a couple more nights in the ditch. Could have been much worse! Cheryl
    ...See More

Febuary Flowers

Q

Comments (50)
    Hope that link pertaining to palm flowers was useful, Tiff. Almost always has a few flowers Still in flower. Only one at this time. This hybrid isn't known for being floriferous. Does have a new developing bud in the works. imagine it will be about ready by the time this one is ready to drop. Holds its yellow quite well (which many phals don't). One of my favorite catts -- and about the tallest of the ones I grow. (Considered to be a "compact" with the height being about 12" tall ... and there are catts that get a LOT bigger ... I tend to stick to plants that are far smaller in stature. This one is an exception.)
    ...See More

OBF April " Pass-along Plant swap"

Q

Comments (127)
    For $8.70 she packed it in. her garden is full. I got to smell thru Margos garden last night. She include 2 cloves of garlic , spicy orange thyme, lemon thyme, bi color hosta, bee balm, grape hyacinths, candy tuft, and Rembrance crocus from olivias garden. And plant labels and markers. Then added mason vase inserts, tranfers for my crafts, and a handmade soap. This was a wonderful thoughtful package. Thank you M argo.
    ...See More
  • EricaBraun
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Just got back from dinner with my grandma who turned 95 today!

Shirley -- Your box was waiting for me. Thank you so much for the seeds, Miss Saigon Dutch Irises, scarf, gloves, bird figurine, chocolate raspberry sticks and wax warmer cubes!

• Amber Edgar
    8 years ago

Thank you so much Shirley. I have been talking with Susan about some things but I think I am questioning her to death...

Susan- .I'm sooo sorry!!! Like I said I am new at this and thank goodness for people like you that explain and answer questions. I'm trying to do some research and learn some things so I can stop asking you so much...lol.

To everyone else....I hope that I can get it together and join in on the fun with everyone, it looks like alot of fun. Thanks for the chance to join you. Hope everyone has a great night.

• skyblue52
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Bingo time -Illinois I had to play along. We have 1 person that needs 1 and 3 that need 2 . Exciting

• uptreasa
    8 years ago

Susan, the package you sent came yesterday!! What a nice package! Thank you! Hey everybody, I learned a lot about Ohio! So many seeds were cleverly matched with the state insect, bird, snake, juice, tree, etc! I received a potted Amaryllis, snake gourds, cardinal flower seeds, ladybug pot buddy, lots and lots of tomato seeds, Buckeye seeds, American plum seeds, jar of yummy spiced plum jam, a pound box of Esther Price fine chocolates (WOW!!!!), and lots more seeds I really appreciate! Thank you so much for everything!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Prayers for all who need them!

skyblue52 thanked uptreasa
  • brittneysgran
    8 years ago

Glad your box arrived Erica. Congrats to your 95 year old Grandma, what a blessing.

Susan-I received your money for the bulbs today.

They should be in my hands March 14th so as soon as I get them divided out they will be on their way to you ladies.

Shirley

skyblue52 thanked brittneysgran
  • brittneysgran
    8 years ago

Amber you can fill out the OBG questionnaire we started, it should help in our monthly swaps.

http://forums.gardenweb.com/discussions/3638772/obf-questionnaire-template-2016?n=12

• nottougly
    8 years ago

I received my package from Ruthz. I actually received it on Friday. Things have been crazy and I had thought I had already thanked her for it. But I haven't. Thank you Ruth for everything. My husband claimed the Cowboys hat first thing. He said to tell you thank you very much for it. I can not wait to try the Texas Spicy Rub. It sounds good. The heart napkins and card is great.

I really liked the Ballerina Hybrid Musk Rosa plant that you sent. I can not wait to plant the Texas Bluebonnet and the Texas Red Yucca seeds. Spring can not get here fast enough.

Thank you so much Ruth. I appreciate the whole package very much.

Faye!

• nottougly
    8 years ago

Bluee19 your package is in the mail today. I hope you like it.

Faye!

• smitties
    8 years ago

Hello all. Was away for a long weekend in Texas so just catching up. Weather was great. Went to the science museum in Dallas. Our 2 year old grandson loves dinosaurs so that was fun. Took him ice skating on Sunday. It was such a nice weekend with our son, dil, and grandson. Goes by fast.

Amy, glad you liked the package from my hometown. I hope surgery went well for your son.

Very windy here today and there is a possibility of a good measurable snowfall tomorrow depending on the direction of the latest snow going through. Hubby hasn't had to use the snowblower this year yet so we shall see.

Heard word that there will not be a buyer for the gift shop I work at do the owner is doing her retirement closing in April. Thankfully the gift shop next to us is taking over the spot and a lot of our products so they are keeping me on. It should be fun.

Three more words for bingo for me.

Margo

• skyblue52
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Good Afternoon Lets do Bingo -Home sweet Home OHIO Everyone have a great day Susan

• EricaBraun
    8 years ago

Bingo!

• bluee19
    8 years ago

Miss EricaBraun, its ur lucky BINGO month. You won OBF and FOTESS!! I think u need to play the powerball :)

CONGRATS FRIEND!!!

• EricaBraun
    8 years ago

Nicole -- Seriously! It's been ages since I've won bingo, and I got two this month. Must be my luck month!

• skyblue52
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Yea Erica. 2 Bingos and a great box from Shirley. Now what for the lady that has everything. Surprize

Here is my Chrisma amyillis.

• amybabyboy3
    8 years ago

My son had his surgery on his spine and they were able to get screws in T-3 thru T12 which will be wonderful for him once it heals. The doctor said he will be taller and straighter. Today is day three and it is a tough one for him but all in all he is doing good and surgery went very well! Thank you for kind words and prayers

skyblue52 thanked amybabyboy3
  • bluee19
    8 years ago

amybabyboy3 ~ sending you all hugs. thank you for letting us know how he is doing. how long will he be at the hospital?

• amybabyboy3
    8 years ago

We flew to Philadelphia for the surgery and we will be here a week hopefully we can fly home Sunday.

• EricaBraun
    8 years ago

Amy -- So glad that everything went well with your son's surgery. Sending prayers to both of you for his speedy recovery.

• smitties
    8 years ago

Congrats Erica. Thankyou for my wonderful package I received today from your area of California. She sent me a delicious ghirardelli intense dark cherry tango candy bar which is absolutely delicious. It comes from San Leandro which is 40 minutes away. A jar of Napa Valley wildflower honey which was filled to order last Saturday at a place 15 minutes from her and a book titled California wine country secrets. Erica is 30 minutes from the wine country. She also included a big assortment of flower seeds for my gardens. Thank you Erica for all the great goodies. We traveled to California ten years ago and your box brought back memories of that trip. Margo

• brittneysgran
    8 years ago

Amy-Thank God the surgery went well. A speedy recovery is what to pray for now. I know you guys are glad it is behind you. Safe travels returning home Sunday.

Margo-Nice box from Ms. Erica.

Erica-Congratulations on winning BINGO.

Susan-The amaryllis is beautiful

My vertigo is gone, thank God from whom all blessings flow.

Shirley

• skyblue52
    Original Author
    8 years ago

hello I recieved my great package from upstate New york from Vina. Ready for a great breakfast. She sent me items from New Hope Mills since 1823 in Auburn New York. A 1 Lb. bag of Buttermilk Pancake mix, and pure Maple syrup. A maple syrup lollipop. Then tucked away was a crystle hummingbird suncatcher,,berry hand gel, and a beautiful birdhouse hand towel. I can only imagine how much I would have enjoyed walking thru the mill with her. But for now I will make a special breakfast from my friend in in New York.

• flowergirl34
    8 years ago

Hi all!

Amy, how wonderful the surgery went wonderful :) Sending big hugs your way!! ((((((())))))))))

Susan I'm so glad it made it! I get nervous when I send liquids in the mail. All I can imagine is you receiving a really sticky package, lol. We love pancakes! Have them just about every weekend! And the New Hope Mills mix is super yummy...hope you enjoy :D

Almost Friday!! Woooohooooo! Can't wait for this weekend! This week has been nutty!

Talk to you soon!

vina

• Amber Edgar
    8 years ago

Susan sorry to hear about you virus...that truly stinks to have to go thru all that. But al least you get to have pancakes....i hope they are delicious with that maple syrup.

We have had terrible weather here, tornado and flash flood warnings until 11pm last night...it rained rained rained all day and night. The transformer and generator blew up behind my house at the elementary school last evening, we thought it was going to catch fire....scary!!! This morning we woke up to blood all over the floor from our cocker spaniel Sierra....emergency trip to the vet...she has terrible bladder stones and needs $1,000.00+ immediate surgery....but may not fix the issue. She has been my mother-in-law's companion for over 10 years and our hearts are truly hurting for her. God willing our prayers will be answered and she will not be in pain and we can all find peace in whatever decision is to be made.

I will be filling out my questionaire as soon as I can get a minute of peace, sorry. I am happy to be here and will be working on getting to know everyone hopefully very soon. Thank you everyone!!! *Amber*

• Melinda Hagen
    8 years ago

Good morning! I want to thank Annie, Shirley (brittneysgran), and Faye for the lovely birthday cards, seeds, and owl notepad! I came home yesterday and was thrilled to find these! You ladies are great!

• Amber Edgar
    8 years ago

Good morning to everyone, finally a nice day...very cold, high of 36 today but finally some sun!!!! My poor yard is flooded terrible so I'm hoping the sun stays for a few days to dry it up!!! Hope everyone has a great day!!!

• uptreasa
    8 years ago

Good morning, everyone! Kelly, your package is going out today with the rural carrier. I'll post the track number tomorrow. I hope you enjoy what I'm sending! Sorry it took so long.

• pinkiris
    8 years ago

Many thanks to bluee19 for the super cute handmade
    card she sent ...she also included some very creative handmade printed addy labels, and a very generous gift certificate to have fun shopping for more seeds! =) wow... thank you for this! very much appreciated... along with her card she also included a wonderful selection of seeds... tomatoes and sunflowers! (2) of my all time favorite things to grow!

'Moulin Rouge' Sunflower

'Sun Samba' Sunflower

'Royal Flush' Sunflower

'Chocolate Cherry' Sunflower

'Blush' Tomato

'Black Plum' Tomato

'Cherokee Purple Heart' Tomato

• skyblue52
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi great All the packages are getting out. I am expecting company for the weekend. BUt will try to look at the pacages that have been sent. If you have not recieved or sent . Please message me . Gotta vaccumn. Yea Friday Susan

• Melinda Hagen
    8 years ago

Just wanted to say another Thank You to Susan Bentz for the birthday card and the amateur tomato and attaboy tomato. Much appreciated and brightened my day a lot!

• bluee19
    8 years ago

nottougly ~ Thank you for the Lovely TENNESSEE and NATIVE AMERICAN THEME. I received happy mail today and appreciate the Game Day Outfitters T stickers, T Tennessee Vols bumper sticker, Magnetic notepad GO VOLS, USA flag sticker, great seeds: Indian grass, White Sage, Marigold Red Marietta, Coneflower, Velvet Queen Sunflower, Nasturium Orange Troika, and cosmos double click cranberries, and the Follow Your Dreams "Legend of the Dreamcatcher" keychange.

Thank you for an thoughtful package and for sharing a little about yourself to me.

• brittneysgran
    8 years ago

Amber-It finally quit raining here also, the ground is soaked. Sunshine was wonderful today but cold. Poor Sierra...thinking of your family and the big decision.

Melinda-Yeah you are home....God is good.

Cryptid (Darrin)-Thinking of you often, if you are reading the posts let us know how you are doing.

Shirley

• Amber Edgar
    8 years ago

Thank you shirley

• canyonwind
    8 years ago

Welcome Amber to OBF..............

Susan, thanks for a fun month....fun, fun, fun!!

Happy weekend!

Annie

• skyblue52
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Just wanted to spend a moment checking in. Looks like all is going well. Melinda glad to see you back in .

Shirley it is good to see the sun. I am thinking of painting my greenhouse. It needs a facelift. Oh the projects just are building up. How many people make list of things to do? I do. And have a place on my counter for things that have to go out tomorrow. On the " today show "they say it isnt nesscary unless you have to keep alot of appoinments. Well gotta go the an auction and such. Fun Have a great day

• Amber Edgar
    8 years ago

Quick questions for the more experienced Gardners in this group, I was at the Walmart yesterday and I bought a seed starting kit the woman at the desk said I was starting too early....being in zone 7a it says 6-8 weeks prior to April 30th I believe so really I'm right on time...correct? I bought miracle-gro bloom boost flower food, can I put that in with the seeds to promote good growth and blooms or save it and just use regular miracle-gro food? The last question I have is about lighting...I need to know what to do, I have a fixture but some people said you can use regular bulbs some say you cant. Some say fluorescent bulbs some say you cant use those either. I don't have alot of money so I'm trying to go about it cheap but efficient. I need something that works but cant spend too much. Some even say you can make your own grown light fixtures and just buy the spiral-type bulbs....not sure so I would like to ask some opinions. To those who welcomed me in...Thank you!! I'm working on my questionaire today and I also have some new seeds I bought yesterday. Hope everyone is enjoying their weekend....very cold here, high of 35...brrr!!! Sorry for the long post, can't wait to hear back.. Have a blessed day everyone!!!

• Amber Edgar
    8 years ago

here's a pic of the fixture, can I jut buy a bulb? Is it a special kind or is fluorescent ok....I'm not sure....thanks everyone

• uptreasa
    8 years ago

The tracking number is 9505 5116 2166 6057 0443 77. Wow, I didn't think it would take $16.45! Today I unloaded a pallet of potting soil, made two rugs, and decided I'm going to plant maybe a half a pound of spinach in a hoophouse on Tuesday. Got a Territorial catalog today and saw some new things. Guess I have to order from there, too!

• dm_kelly
    8 years ago

It's been a bit of a strange month here. My DH moved back home about three weeks ago and what an adjustment it's been living with someone again! He's been working and living in Florida, Arizona, and Colorado for the last eight months but now that he's home it's back to proper cooking and cleaning. I will say it's been nice to have him take care of the chickens in the morning... trecking through the dark and snow to take care of them when it's 20 degrees out is not my idea of fun.

With the warmer temps, quite a bit of the snow has melted. Seeing the dirt is giving me spring fever! Pepper seeds are starting to sprout in the bathroom and if there's time, the tomatoes will be started tomorrow. Yea for spring!

Ruth- your package went out this morning and should be there Tuesday. The slip is in the car so I'll get the tracking number to you tomorrow.

Have a great rest of your weekend!

• skyblue52
    Original Author
    8 years ago

hi Amber and anyone else who wants to use lights. I started my flowers to early . 3 weeks ago. {hoping for early spring,planting 2 week of April} My peppers have been on papertowels/baggies. Nothing sprouted for a week. March 10 or so will start tomatoes. Here is a cheap set up. Light fix

ture about $15. Box of lights I don t remember brought 2 years ago. {T-12} Havent used them all. Maybe will take all the babies[flowers} out today.
    I am ready to talk plants. Susan

• smitties
    8 years ago

I bought my light at meijers here in Ohio for 10 dollars. I plan on starting pink pampas grass this week. I have looked for a plant for two years and no one has one around here so decided to try from seed. Margo

• Amber Edgar
    8 years ago

Thank you so much guys, I have complete spring fever today, weather is beautiful here today. High of 66....Out to the yard!!! Have a great day everyone

• Amber Edgar
    8 years ago

That purple grass is beautiful, what is it called? Got my light fixture yesterday, thanks for your help. I bought miracle-gro bloom booster, should I add that in with the seeds or wait for them to sprout to start giving them that. Is there anything anybody recommends to add when planting seeds?

• ruthz
    8 years ago

I received an Awesome package today from Dawn with a nice card explaining everything. I absolutely love everything. Thank you so so much.

Thanks to Zach for Grace's new toy. She loved it.

I love the beautiful minerals from Topaz Mountain and the story that goes with them. I'll have to google it.

I've never used a bath bomb, but love those soaps.

I can't wait to try the jelly with cream cheese and Ritz. I love growing peppers and want to try making pepper jelly sometime. And now I have new seeds to try.

That mug and honey will be perfect for my teas.

used

• EricaBraun
    8 years ago

I received my super cool bingo prize from Susan today - Black Prince Echeveria and a cute pot that glows in rainbow colors!

Thank you so much!

• dm_kelly
    8 years ago

I received a wonderful package from Upteresa today filled with a hand made rug, yummy toast, doTERRA wild orange oil, and lots of seeds!!! (Hubby had the nerve to roll his eyes and ask if I needed more seeds - the answer is yes :) Thank you Teresa! All will be used and enjoyed!

• Amber Edgar
    8 years ago

Thank you for having me!!! I can't wait until the 5th, what kind of games do you guys play? I'm excited!! Working on my questionaire and trade list now....good night everyone.....plesent dreams. *Amber*

• skyblue52
    Original Author
    8 years ago

hello Did everybody get their swap " bloom" packages. Please let me know. I will follow up. Just a note about a trade I did with Amber . Look at how cute she packaged the box. And I loved the colorful note about the seeds she sent me. Also some cute frogs to join my back deck. I can tell she took alot of care in making up my gift. Susan

• Amber Edgar
    8 years ago

I just want to say that I greatly appreciate everyone that has welcomed me but I want to say an extra thank you to skyblue52 -susan- for all her help and wonderful trade she did with me. From the start when I asked to join OBF Susan has ALWAYS answered all my questions, (no matter how goofy or how many.....and there were more then a few...lol), and she explained everything to me so I could get into March swap. She offered to do a trade with me and even explained all the steps to that. Being new at the gardening world I didn't have much to trade but even still she sent me seeds, seeds and more seeds!!! Even bags for storing my seeds, easter stickers, easter paper and a cute note! She definitely amazed me with what she sent me. Again I just want to say thank you to her for all her time and extra help and to everyone for letting me be a part of this wonderful world of OBF!!!! **AMBER**

WOW!!!! U MADE MY DAY!!! THANK YOU!

skyblue52 thanked Amber Edgar