SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
elunday

Paint color suggestions for small office

elunday
8 years ago

New poster here, but I've loved reading the forums as we've worked on our house remodel this last year. I've reached total decision-making overload, however, probably because I spent three hours last night looking at range hoods. But I need to decide fairly soon on the paint color for my office.

The office is tiny -- 8 x 8. It was originally the breakfast nook for our 1923 Craftsman, so it leads off the kitchen, but one element of the remodel was to add a door so I can have privacy if I need it. Two walls are all windows, although they start fairly high up, about 40 inches from the floor.

The floor is chestnut in a rich chocolate brown. Trim--of which there is a LOT, with the windows, wide baseboards, and crown molding--will all be white. The furniture will be light wood tones and white. I'm planning to paint my file cabinet and book shelves white. The desktop will be Ikea butcherblock in birch. I'll have an L-shaped desk surface with the file cabinet holding up one end and a set of cubbies in a birch finish holding up the other end. Chair is black, but it's an Aeron so it's staying!

I could paint it white--the kitchen has white walls and cabinets with a light blue backsplash and lots of blue accessories. The family room adjoining the kitchen also has white walls with blue and light brown furnishings.

But I was thinking a color would be a nice contrast to all the other white. Maybe a lightish denim-y blue??? Or a neutral like khaki?

I'm a freelance writer, so I spend hours every day in this space. I'm excited about reinventing it, but the color thing has me stumped! Any advice or wisdom is welcome. Thanks!

Comments (16)