SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
phil_zito

How would you redesign this patio?

Phil Zito
8 years ago

I bought a new house. The house was owned/built by a custom home builder and while the interior is amazing the exterior is, to put it bluntly, but ugly.

I have experience working in the trades but must admit I am not the most creative person in the world. I'm looking for ideas from folks who have done work themselves in the past. I have some pictures in the post of the front of the house.

Long term my ideas is to dig up the front walkway and to replace it with a new slab lined by bricks and low voltage lighting. Also, I'd like to replace the siding with faux single layer brick or stone but I'd have to get a the foundation verified in order to make sure it can support it can support the load.

That brings me to my short term scenario. Without replacing the siding what could i do. As you can see the pillars hang halfway off the porch slab, I was thinking maybe the builder was planning to wrap the porch in stone or brick?

So idea 1, wrap porch in Stone block and extend stone to the left of the house in a built up retaining wall. Add tile to the top surface and steps. Change the color of the front door, pillars, and shutters.

Idea 2. Extend the porch to the right either with a slab, wood porch combo or a straight slab although that would be a lot of slab to poor as the porch is 36 inches i believe and sits on top of my basement foundation. I could then build an porch that over hangs the extended patio.

I'm open to ideas. Like I said, I'm very capable of the trade work as I work in construction for commercial buildings but I am not creative.

Thanks for reading and for your replies, I appreciate it.

Close up of Porch:

Front of House:

Front Door:

Right Side of Porch:

Left Side of Porch:

Comments (9)