SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mojomom

How is Your Planning Progressing?

mojomom
8 years ago

I love the How is your build progressing thread. But while many of the folks frequenting this board are actively in the process of building, there are also many of us in the planning stages (and even dreaming stages) so I thought it might be fun to start a monthly thread for the planners amongst us similar to the monthly "How is your build progressing" thread. Certainly the "builders" are (and others not in the planning stages are free to comment) and offer advice, but I'd love to see how the other planners are proceeding in a monthly "How is your Planning progressing" thread as kind of a mutual support group among those of us who have yet to break ground and as we go we can toast those as they move into the actual building stage.

I'll start with a recap of where we are in the process and how we got there. Sorry this is long to begin with, but I promise to stick to "updates" in the future. We are building a duplex at a ski area in the Colorado mountains with out DD (our only) and SIL. They met there and have lived there since DD graduated from university, are fully integrated into the community (small town of about 12,000 full time residents). DH and I currently live 1200 miles away in the South, but have visited the town often for 31 years have owned property out there for almost 20 years, so the town has been a second home to us. Since they married the 'kids' have been living in our current vacation home. DH and I both plan to retire in about 2 years and hope the new house will be ready then.

Steps we have taken:

1. Started thinking about this in 2010 and saved like crazy the last six years fortunately we have made very significant progress, while not ignoring retirement savings.

2. Purchased a lot we love in 2014 and got a great deal. This was a slow market to recover and we seem to have caught the market at the bottom. Purchased it at about 35% of the original list price, after multiple price drops, it got to an acceptable level so we tool the leap. A few months later the owner of the remaining lots, sensing the recovery had started in earnest and this subdivision was becoming the "it" place in the mountain area, started raising the list price on the remaining lots so significantly to the extent that the lot next to ours (which had been listed at $15,000 less than our lot at the time we bought our lot) sold last year for $95,000 MORE than what we paid.

3. Engaged an architect and have met with him several times while we were in town. We are at the stage we are tweaking floor plans. Just got the preliminary elevation sketch below and absolutely love it. The first is angled to show our side, while the second shows the kids' side.

4. Interviewed builders and found one we feel comfortable with and have him on board to start when we are ready.

5. We want to sell our current home out there because we aren't comfortable starting the build until we sell the existing vacation home, we have met with our realtor and plan to list by mid March. She actually suggested a listing price $75.000 more than we were expecting and we know her to be conservative. Unfortunately, DOM in our price rand is 3-4 months, but we are in a great location.

6. Investigated construction loans. We had a good meeting at local bank we use out there and it has a good product, got interest rate, one time close and converts to a 10 year ARM after. CO. Lender doesn't anticipate any problems because under any set of circumstances (see below), it will be very low loan to however, hopefully, by the time we finish, we will have sold our home in the South and another property here and will have little, if any, to convert to perm even if the price is 25% more than planned.

7. Not build related, but definitely move related, we've convinced my Mom (85) to move to a lovely senior living community about a half mile from our building site when we move. When I first mentioned it to her, she knew it was the smart thing to do and rather reluctantly agreed to take a look. The last two times she visited out there, she visited the place and she is really warming to the idea.

Next steps:

1. Huge one: We really only have a very rough idea as to price to build, so we really need to nail that down. As soon as we get the plans finalized and engineer review, the GC will give us some harder numbers. We've given him a number we are shooting for and he thinks he can get us there, but we are prepared for it to be about 25% over and realistically can handle that fine. Much more than that, while probably doable, may take us out of the comfort zone and cause us to reevaluate the plan.

2. When we sell the house, the kids will have to move into a rental -- and those are hard to find in the area, but they are well connected and have a few options that they can fall back on if necessary.

3. Subdivision design review and permitting. Architect is the DRB consultant for the subdivision and doesn't anticipate a problem since our design is well within the guidelines and we won't be asking for any variances that could slow down permitting.

4. We are slowly getting our house here in the South ready to sell and DH has taken steps towards marketing his practice. Hopefully this plus savings over the next two tears w I'll leave us mortgage free.

Where are you in the process? Anything about our plans jumps out to you as off?

The lot (only the center is mowed)

The creek behind to lot at low water.

The creek at high water and the back of the house two lots downstream.

Preliminary front elevation for our side:

Preliminay front elevation as you approach the kids' side:

Comments (24)