SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
forneysp

Free spoiled hay- pesistant herbicides?

Scott
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Good Morning,

I am trying to ramp up my composting this year because I wanted to add a couple new raised beds. Right now I am looking for all kinds of materials to put in. I am collecting lots of coffee grounds from starbucks but now and have about 10 decent sized bags worth. To balance these, I need some more Browns. I am out of fall leaves, which would be my first choice. So, I started to look for additional Browns...

I found some free spoiled hay on Craig's list but I don't know the source. When I asked if this hay was treated with any herbicides she wasn't sure because it was there when she moved into the house.

she stated "My guess is none but unfortunately I don't know for sure. The hay was in our barn when we bought the place. It's at least 2 years old. The previous owners had someone bale it for them and didn't go out of their way to spend extra money, hence why I don't think anything was done besides cutting it"

BTW- I am trying to be as organic as possible.... I could have posted this in the organic forum, I guess.

Should I use the hay and then test my compost on a bean or tomato plant? If I don't use the hay, what other Browns could I use to get a nice compost? I have access to a lot of cardboard and newspaper but I was trying to put in more nutrient rich feedstock. I still plan on using some shredded cardboard but didn't want the whole thing to be coffee grounds and cardboard (unless you all think that will be a good end compost) I always read that you want a lot of different materials to give different nutrients and minerals to the end product

FYI- I also like low cost to free materials of possible. This compost pile will be in my backyard suburbia. Very smelly things are not an option because of neighbors.

Also- I don't know much about these persistent herbicides, like how widespread they are used, etc. all I know is what I have searched for online about about hay and compost . Mother Earth News has some articles about "killer compost" and got me thinking...I don't want to mess up my pile and then have to clean up the mess later. Maybe I'm worrying too much?

im new to gardening and compost- so go easy in me!

thanks - Scott (zone 6a)

sorry for typos- sent on my cellphone

Comments (16)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH