SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bry911

Moved: Our architect process.

bry911
8 years ago

Originally posted in http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/3622780/new-construction-advice-comments?n=68 moved as requested.

My architect and I are not working together in any way similar to the suggestions of people I respect, and I am starting to wonder if I have chosen poorly or if I have chosen well and the architect is just adapting to my wants and needs.

Some of the things that make me a difficult client is that I have extensive experience with project costing and a warped sense of value. I will give some insights as to what I am looking for in a house and then our work so far.

First, I have no budget. I would prefer a house cost $200,000, I am willing to spend 10 times that. What I want for the extra money is efficiency, in other words I want every dollar spent over $200,000 to get me more than the previous dollar did. The problem with this is it starts making for a huge house. A lot of the costs in a house are actually mixed costs (part fixed and part variable) and efficiency is easy to get by just making it bigger. The challenge is getting good value without ending up with too much house.

Second, I have an opinion on everything, but I don’t always know it until I see it. My typical opinion is, “what a waste of money”. This is not to say people who like these things are wrong, they are just not me. To give you an example of this, I have seen many great designers separate the bathtub into its own bump-out, my response to this very popular design choice is, “so I am building a foundation, 3 walls and a roof over a bathtub, which will look gorgeous and I will not use.” However, I can be convinced this is good, the architect only need say, “It will cost an additional $3,000 but will increase the appraisal value by $6,000.”

Finally, I could absolutely not care any less about the outside of my home. I don’t want my neighbors to put out a hit on me, toilet paper my house or refuse to wave when I come home…other than that, I don’t care. I am building the thing to live on the inside, not the outside.

In response to this, and my critique of some early plans, my architect is having me draw plans and he is critiquing them. Some things I have picked he really likes, such as the pantry. Other things that I picked he did not. Some suggestions he liked, others he crossed out, such as the coat closet near the hall (his words – You are letting people talk you off your game. Think about having a conversation as you walk people into the gathering area, take their coats and hang them while they are beginning to interact with other guests and family in the living spaces.)

While I am certainly a difficult client he seems genuinely interested in the project. He asks me so many questions about costing and actual value vs. perceived value that I sometimes feel like I am teaching him cost accounting, and the way he explains things makes me think he is educating me even more.

Having said all this - It looks like the house will be designed by me with his help and not vice versa. Should I get a second opinion or trust my gut? My gut has been wrong before. A couple of good strokes of my ego and I am your guy. But I need people to tell me when I am being stupid, because I am pretty good at it and even better at not seeing it.

Comments (26)