SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
larsi_gw

I just did it! Ordered Cascade with Phosphates

larsi_gw
8 years ago
last modified: last year

After reading about 50 reviews that Cascade Fryer Boil Out is just the original Cascade dishwasher powder with phosphates, I had to have it. While I am happy with my Somat 10 tabs, Ecover tabs and dropps pods...I remember how my dishes, glasses, flatware, and the inside of my Miele always looked using Cascade powder with phosphates.

I ordered it with Amazon this morning, $53.00. Prime/free shipping and no tax. Expensive, but it is an 85oz. box and you only need 1 TBS. per load. I run 3-4 loads a week, so this seems very economical to me. Also, I have an embarrassingly cray cray to tell anyone amount of Somat 10 tabs in stock....so that combined with my new Cascade powder, I should be set until about, I don't know...2025. LOL

Comments (61)

• sparky823
    8 years ago

There is also a deal of 9-20 ounce boxes for $45.74 and free shipping. IMO this stuff isn't what we were used to years ago before the enzyme stuff. I tried it and ended up using mine in white clothes but again that is JMO but I know less than clean dishes when I see them vs enzyme type.

• mamapinky0
    8 years ago

I think I read where the old pre ban and this boil out were the exact ingredients even the %'ages were the same??

• Related Discussions

Just ordered - how did I do?

Q

Comments (8)
    I've been tempted by Tangerine Horses myself. Hope you will let us know how it does for you next year. I grew Seminole Wind. It had trouble opening its blooms the first year but when a few finally did open towards the end they were a pretty and unusual color. I had mine in a pot waiting to see if I liked it enough to plant it the next year (that's how I evaluate). Unfortunately Seminole Wind did not make it until next spring because of crown rot. I didn't buy it again. I've heard others say it does fine for them, but for me there are just too many daylilies out there to fool around with one that had so many problems its first year.
    ...See More

What can I do w/Espoma Super Phosphate & Bone Meal?

Q

Comments (1)
    Bone meal and phosphate are the same nutrient, they both supply phosphorus. Plants require three main nutrients, nitrogen (N), phosphorus (P) and potassium (K); fertilizers are labelled with their nutrient ratio in the order N-P-K. Fertilizer with a label that says 18-6-4 contains 18%N, 6%P, 4%K. Nitrogen supports leaves and stems, phosphorus supports roots. Newly planted shrubs benefit from some phosphorus as they will need to rapidly grow roots but most older plants need more nitrogen than phosphorus. Before using any fertilizer you should test your soil as too much fertilizer is just as damaging as not enough. Here is a link that might be useful: Fertilizing Info
    ...See More

Just ordered my first hostas - did I pick well?

Q

Comments (7)
    Oh boy, you are in for it now! I'm speaking from personal experience. I had about a half dozen well established hosta scattered around for years. Never thought about them much other than to admire them occasionally. Then.... I went to a small local nursery that specializes in hosta. They also have beautiful display gardens. Well, I fell in love with Stained Glass, and a couple of mini's that I thought would look nice in my containers, and then it was a half dozen more every time I went anywhere near the place... Now I'm bidding on hosta in the library auction, reading all I can about them, and lurking here all of the time, lol. Hang on to your wallet, or better yet, just keep a credit card on you at all times. It sure is a lot of fun, and you will learn a lot from the lovely people on this forum
    ...See More

I need help regarding phosphates

Q

Comments (21)
    Aluminum Sulfate is one cause of Alzheimer's. Well nobody is for 100% sure Aluminum causes Alzheimers yet. However, don't overdue it...and add too much + watch your ph. They already floc your drinking water with it unfortunately. Nobody likes algae in their drinking water. The Aluminum Sulphate reacts with the Phosphate to form Aluminum Phosphate which is a white precipitate that goes to the bottom of the pool and the filter. Then you vacuum it up or clean your filter so your taking the Aluminum back out of the water with the phosphates. You are left with Sulphate derivatives in the water instead of Phosphate.
    ...See More
  • mamapinky0
    8 years ago

Sparky, did you get clean dishes prior to enzyme detergent?

• Laundry Mich
    8 years ago

I've had nothing but amazing results with this Cascade Institutional. It's the 1992 Finalized Sheeting Action formula, from P&G.. that lasted for a while before P&G went to Enzyme.

Honestly.. if you have too many things "stuck on" they won't come off, no matter what you use. You're supposed to scrape as much off as possible, and load up. Even so.. I can't help but notice how clean everything looks, and how well it does with it's chlorine content.

With that said.. I don't think I'd want to use this on Laundry. It'd be horrible for textiles, and would probably do significant damage to fiber integrity. Be cafeful!! :)

• Laundry Mich
    8 years ago

And.. I may be alone in this, but... the Chlorine scent from this Cascade, smells.. well, Amazing. Amazing in a sense that it smells really clean, and not so.. chemical-throw together.

I might be alone, but the smell of Bleach just screams CLEAN, CLEAN, CLEAN in my head. And I love that....

• Jean
    8 years ago

Absolutely Mitch-that scent cannot be beat!!!

• dadoes
    8 years ago

The comparison, I believe, is that the Fryer Boil Out product is the same formula as the previous Cascade Institutional/Food Service product which was discontinued ... not that it's the same formula as a previous consumer product (although it may be).

• Laundry Mich
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

http://www.automaticwasher.org/cgi-bin/TD/TD-VIEWTHREAD.cgi?52631

Post# 748937 4/9/2014 at 6:54pm (653 days old)

Back in August of 2013, when Cascade Institutional (a formula geared towards Food Service use, and phosphate laden) was discontinued, a new product, came out from nowhere.

Cascade "Professional" Fryer Boil Out - And what really strikes me, is the formula for this *new* product.

For Comparison Sake, here is a MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) for the new product.

istudio.pgpro.com/Assets/Download...

and here is one, for Cascade Professional. Be sure to scroll all the way, to the bottom.

www.pg.com/productsafety/msds/pro...

Hmmm... Notice something similar?

It would appear to me, in quiet, P&G realized, they'd lose a market, that really isn't a problem for them. No one is gonna ban Phosphate Based, Fryer Cleaning products. And if they did, they'd get an earful from people, who actually have to clean them.

So, since dishwasher based formulas, are banned, they took their "multi-use" product, and simply repackaged it. Now, they can skirt the ban, and still sell to the market they always had...

I'm not quite, sure, they would want purchasers, to use this though, for dishwasher detergent. But I don't see a reason not too. It's the same formula (from what I can tell), and I'd bet, it'd leave Dishes, "Virtually Spotless" like always :)

• mamapinky0
    8 years ago

Thanks Dadoes..thought I read it over on AW but I could be wrong..but thank you.

No don't use this stuff on textiles ..way to harsh. That being said I cannot be left out of the fun...I'm ordering tonight lmao

• rococogurl
    8 years ago

OMG Larsi the ecology police out there are gonna run you outta the valley!

• Don
    8 years ago

The real advantage of boilout is with harder water. The rinse is superior. New enzyme formulas probably remove some tough foods better than boilout.

There is probably no reason for someone reasonably satisfied with the better Cascade or Finish products to try boilout. Especially because a purchase requires buying a substantial supply.

The chlorine produced by the boilout formulation provides extra sanitation needed to commercial dishwashing. I don't find the mild chlorine smell bothersome.

I tried many things before boilout, including purchasing a new dishwasher.

• sparky823
    8 years ago

My "Cascade with Sheeting Action" bleach powder I bought 7-20 oz boxes but forget the price. It has been a few years--well after they cut out the phosphates in all of the brands. To me the granules didn't even look like they used to with the old Cascade. To me it didnt wash as well. You asked if dishes were clean before enzymes--Yeah but then if something was left stuck on you didnt think much about it cause that was the only formulation you knew of so most time always thought it was more the machine. (but a lot of pre rinsing back then)

Mitch said maybe I need to scrape-Lol- mine are scraped and even sometimes quick rinsed. Why I laughed was years ago everyone I knew thought the dishes had to be spotless when they went in the machine--me included. You rinsed everything and scrub all the pans before loading. After running you might have dry flecks of powder on some of them where it didn't all dissolve. Some of that was machines fault though cause as you know some are not as good as others. Worst one I ever had was a Lady Kenmore, then a Maytag which was a TOL version but that meant nothing cause it was that reverse rack deal and I LOVE Maytag washers but not the DW. Best ones I have ever had was a GE with the orbit wash arm that changed up places where water hit the dishes, and a KitchenAid Superba 18 which did very well with chlorine Cascade and finally this Kenmore Elite has done very well cleaning. As time goes, it runs longer than any I have ever had but is very much the quietest.

Back to the old Cascade a minute, I figure why it didn't do as well with this newer machine was because of cooler water even though I do use hi-temp on everything but the start up even on main wash is only 120 where it used to be 140-160 but I no longer keep my water that hot. My hi temp heats to 145 for wash and 140 or 160(sani) last rinse. Sorry I didnt mean to write a boring book.

Oh and using the Cascade in clothes, surely Mitch your Mom used it in little league pants. It used to be the thing to clean those and I don't think I hurt anything adding it to whites. I didn't have anything fall apart that I remember.

• mamapinky0
    8 years ago

Wow..Sparky, I never thought you would say so much at once...not boring at all, quite interesting to get a tiny glimps into a day and a life of our Sparky.

Ohh did your Lady K have the roto rack? I'm still kicking myself for not taking that one that was offered to me this past summer.

As for this Cascade in the laundry. .I still think its too harsh...sport uniforms may hold up as they are made to withstand a lot, but a cotton tee I doubt would stand up long to the harshness. Plus there's chlorine bleach in the boil out so the textiles are subjected to that during an entire wash cycle...remember after 5 or 6 minutes in chlorine it startes degrading the fabric.

• sparky823
    8 years ago

I thought I had read that bleach dies in just a few minutes(I was thinking it said starts dying in 6 min) but maybe I am wrong. I didnt use it all the time, just now and then and also used it to just clean the washer now and then although no enzymes with that.

No my Lady Kenmore was after they changed to the square rack. I like the round rack and wish someone would go back to that set-up(I think). I do remember a friend of mines Mom had the round rack model and there would be that grit in the glasses sometimes and he would laugh and say we were having whatever we were drinking at the time plus the leftovers from supper the past night was washed up into the glasses. LOL Back then though the KM didnt have any kind of filter. Had a grinder that just ground everything and sprayed it back on all the dishes--later my Lady KM was even the same way-no filter but square rack. After Wpool started making them for Sears then they had a filter and was a better machine. Now that is how I remember them. Others here might remember a change or model that I don't.

• mamapinky0
    8 years ago

Sparky bleach doesn't die in a few minutes, that's why its important to add it last 5 minutes of wash cycle and to rinse until no scent of it remains, if there's a bleach scent left on the clothes than its still there damaging and yellowing fabric.

Thanks for the dishwasher info, interesting.

• Laundry Mich
    8 years ago

I never played little league, or any sports for that matter. So.. I wouldn't know. My mum just used Tide Original Scent - Powder. :)

• sparky823
    8 years ago

Pink: You know when you see or read something how it can drive you crazy till you find it again, well I was going to see if I saw what I was telling you about the bleach, not disputing your statement. All I saw was that Dr Laundry with Clorox and she was discussing bleach and septic tanks and she said that almost all of the bleach is consumed in the wash cycle and that any left over dies in the drain line before getting to the septic by adhering to soils in the drain line and it all turns to salt and water, so if that is true does this mean it only lives the length of the wash such as 10-15 min etc? I am not a chemist so I don't know how long it all lives or works. Look her stuff up and see what she says. I think it is interesting.

• mamapinky0
    8 years ago

Sparky...dump some out into a glass...tomorrow dip a dark rag into it...there's your answer.

• mamapinky0
    8 years ago

Ill do the test here also..if she's correct and I doubt it...I'll read her stuff lol

• sparky823
    8 years ago

According to her or the way I understand it which could be wrong, part of why it dies is because its worked digesting(for lack of a better word) all the soil and crud till it is exhausted plus it needs mixing with water. I am sure the pure stuff in a glass would be alive. Oh, it doesn't matter to me anyway, I use it when I need to and if it eats some fabric up it will just be eat up. I havent done it yet in all these years that I know of. Lol.

• mamapinky0
    8 years ago

OKill mix it with water and add a bit of crud..maybe a drop of food grade oil..and a sprinkle of soil..ill stir it off and on ill add a dirty sock and keep stirring off and on and ill bet 3 days from now it will still bleach out dark fabric..hopefully not too many people believe this woman about the bleach..imagine the ruined clothes Sparky LOL

• vetwife1998
    8 years ago

Larsi -- if you need a new home for your Somat tablets, I'll adopt them. ;)

larsi_gw thanked vetwife1998
  • mamapinky0
    8 years ago

Isn't it funny how everyone's machines work differently...The Dropps work better than my Somat lol. I would never have expected it.

• sparky823
    8 years ago

She is Clorox chemist(or one of them) so as I said I'm not worrying about it. Lol

I like the Clorox Ultimate that you can pour directly onto the clothes if you have a stain, rub in and wash...

• Paula Zahn
    6 years ago

Hi All

Ive been reading all of your comments about cascade and I did find it with this company 85oz per box and 6 boxes for $60.57 plus shipping. I think they are out of PA

I love this stuff. My last box I purchased in 2016 and now I’m empty. Ugh

I’m sure I will be good for awhile. I hope this link below helps. Also, if you do order make sure you check one time order not weekly. Can you imagine, Wow that would be a lot of detergent. I hope this link helps.

Paula

https://www.cleanitsupply.com/p-96925/cascade-fryer-boil-out-concentrated-powder-53-lb-box-6-boxes-pgc59097.aspx

• jrmedved
    last year

I ordered this dishwasher detergent once before and it is amazing at cleaning dishes spot free and getting off dried on food, etc. The (correct) detergent is AMAZING!

But in the last two orders of this product from Amazon I've had this BAD experience...

I re-ordered two boxes last week at $29.50 each. Both boxes I received were obviously compromised and (neatly, though obviously) resealed with packaging tape. (The P & G factory sealed boxes are not sealed with packaging tape...new boxes are glued closed at the top and bottom and the spout is factory sealed.) It appears that the boxes were opened, the contents emptied and then refilled with regular (non-phosphate) Cascade (or some other powdered dishwashing detergent) and resealed with packaging tape. Most probably some unscroupulous person purchased these boxes and returned them for credit to Amazon all the while Amazon did not detect this switch/scam, and the boxes went back to the warehouse shelves for resale.

I called Amazon customer service and explained my observations on both boxes that I had received. The customer service agent took notes and assisted me in ordering replacements with notation to the warehouse fullfillment to inspect the ordered (replacement) boxes for any signs of resealed/packaging tape securing those boxes and only to ship to me IF the boxes were factory sealed.

Today, I received those replacement boxes. As I accepted the Amazon box from the postal carrier, she warned me "Be careful! Something is leaking out of this box." Upon opening the Amazon shipping box, I found that the replacement boxes of Cascade were (again) both resealed with packaging tape (one resealed at the top, the other at the bottom) and the seal over the spout was missing as well (the spouts were sealed with packaging tape as well). These too were compromised/switched boxes.

I called Amazon again and explained to the agent what was going on and it should be escalated to management that Amazon is getting scammed and they are (perhaps inadvertently) scamming their (good) customers.

I am returning these as well and will not order any more of this product from Amazon until Amazon corrects this internal problem, and I caution everyone else who orders the Cascade with Phosphates Professional Fryer Boil Out (from anywhere) to examine the factory seals of the product they receive so as to not be scammed.

• dadoes
    last year

JrMedVed,

Cascade Fryer Boil Out was reported in mid-year 2022 as discontinued. Any product found on Amazon, eBay, or elsewhere is existing stock on-hand or perhaps the seller stockpiled it for later sale.

• Jeffrey Caban
    last year

I have ordered Fryer Boil Out many time in the past and had a the same issue over the last couple times I have ordered from Staples, Amazon, as well as Zoro. Nothing major mind you, just some boxes not sealed well. I am down to my last four boxes and am not sure what I'll use once those are gone.

• dadoes
    last year

I have approx 2/5 of a box remaining. I'm not aware of any available product that'll substitute.

• Jeffrey Caban
    last year

dadoes,

There is always Bubble Bandit although the price is up there.

• armjim
    last year

I am just curious about why any of you use this particular Cascade detergent? Even if it were readily available, the cost seems very high. Our water in Texas as dadoes will tell you is very hard, and where I live is especially hard, even with a water softener. I am not one to wash my dishes before I load them, and ours come out sparkling clean, and all I use is Finish pods and Cascade rinse aid. I am no longer a KitchenAid fan, but I do have to say our dishwasher is the best one I have ever owned.

• dadoes
    last year

It has phosphates (for handling hard water better than other products), and chlorine bleach which works great on tea stains (and surely coffee which I don't drink), tomato-based stains, etc. The only soil I've found that it doesn't handle well is (microwave scrambled in a mug) egg residue.

I don't think Bubble Bandit has chlorine bleach.

• wdccruise
    last year

@Jeffrey Caban: "I am down to my last four boxes and am not sure what I'll use once those are gone."

Cascade Complete Powder works very well in my 2005 Whirlpool dishwasher.

• armjim
    last year

I used to exclusively use Cascade, but about 15 years or so I started noticing that my DW loads were not as clean. I used Cascade powder, gel, pods, and was disappointed. Switched to FInish pods and I am very happy. I suspect with our current DW I could go back to a Cascade product and I would be satisfied. We do drink coffee in the mornings, and if I am not going to run the DW I rinse the coffee cups. But I can load it with very dirty dishware and similar items and not run it for a day and everything comes out great. I do rinse off acidic and similar on the flatware if the DW is not going to be run.

• dadoes
    last year

I received two 85 oz. boxes (sold individually) of Boil Out from an Amazon seller. Each box is separately in shrink wrap, no leakage of product. An affixed ID sticker advises "Best By: 12-01-2026" but there's no way to determine if it's a P&G sticker or a seller sticker.

• Laundry Mich
    last year

@dadoes, one of the easier ways to obtain very similar, if not exact results... is still available. You can find Original Lime Green Cascade Gel at Wal-Mart, and SOME Target stores. This is the chlorinated version, which is also getting very hard to find.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Cascade-Gel-Dishwasher-Detergent-Lemon-Scent-120-fl-oz/15055991?athcpid=15055991

If you simply add, a One & A Half to Two teaspoons of STPP to the detergent cup, with the Original Cascade Gel... you'll get a fantastic clean. What I do.. is I pour in a little bit of gel, add the STPP, and than cover it to the top of the detergent cup with more Cascade.

I've tried doing this with Complete Gel... and the results were good, but, nothing like the Chlorinated Version. I really think you should try this. At the very least, you might be able to stretch the amount of time, before you run out of the good stuff, you have now.

I also have had fairly decent luck, with the Palmolive Eco Gel (which is Chlorinated)... and the Sun/Huish made Gels (which are now discontinued). The Finish Gel... is complete crapola, and is worthless even with STPP added in. Chlorine Dishwasher Gels tend to be very basic, and similar in formulation to the pre-ban formulas, so when STPP is added, they preform a LOT like the old stuff.

The same cannot be said for the Enzyme Powders, which, I haven't had the best results adding STPP to. They preform better, but clean nothing like the Boosted Chlorine Gels.

• dadoes
    last year

Laundry Mich,

I'm aware that gels may still contain bleach, and thanks for the suggestion, but the detergent dispenser on my dishwasher is designed only for powders, gels (and tablets/pacs) are not workable in it. I could squirt a dose of gel directly into the tub at the start but would have to pause the cycle and add another dose for the main wash period.

• Mitch G
    last year

@dadoes. I'm going to take a wild guess, and ask... do you have one of those fancy dish drawers? Lol. I think I know what you are talking about. I briefly had one, in a Condo. They get all finicky with Gels & Tablets.

My advice for that would be to try and find a decent Chlorinated Dishwasher Powder. I think Hytron might make one. I know you used to be able to find a store-brand powder at Kroger that had it as well.

• dadoes
    last year

Mitch G,

Yes, my DD603 is will be 20yo in August 2023. Tablets and pacs can be placed on a side shelf or in the silverware basket but they're an overdose on the whole. There's no control of the dissolving rate so the whole pac may be gone before the main wash period begins.

I've tried Cascade Platinum pacs, they cause so much sudsing that the wash arm is bogged-down in it and the spray force is impaired.

• Laundry Mich
    last year

Yes, Dadoes. I know exactly what you mean. I had a set of two F&P dish drawers for about 9-months. What I was doing at the time, was cutting up old Electrasol Tabs (with Phosphate) or... modern-day regular Finish Powerball Tabs. I would use 1/2 a tab, usually cutting them with kitchen sheers.

That worked really well in the drawers, but, bear in mind, I always use the longest, most intensive cycle.

Anyway... I really wanted to respond to the second comment. Cascade Platinum in particular is just insanely sudsy. And I do mean, out of this world, insane. Even in Hard Water (9 GPG) or Soft Water (1 GPG). On mutiple dishwashers, I've tried it in... every single one of them has major foaming, during the wash cycle. To the point, where the sound of the machine is noticablity quieter, as the motor tries to power through the diaster.

The product itself... has a great rinse aid action, but nothing better than anything Cascade Complete offers. And the suds... just do not make it worth it. Neither does the high price point, for the product.

P&G should really be ashamed for selling Platinum, in it's current formula imo.

• mnovak99
    5 months ago

I also have F&P 603 Dish Drawers that have been fantastic for many years with Cascade Powder with phosphates. I'm down to my last box of Cascade Fryer Boil Out and it looks like it's no longer available. Any suggestions?

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    5 months ago

Oh, you all must be young to not worry about phosphates. Released into water (they are not eliminated by wastewater treatment), they cause alga bloom which depletes oxygen and can lead to fish death. That was the reason during the 1970s for removing phosphates from detergent. Many states banned its use. The Potomac River often has excessive alga bloom. Not good.

very brief explanation

• wdccruise
    4 months ago

@mnovak99: "I also have F&P 603 Dish Drawers..."

Cascade Powder Detergent works great and is readily available. The user manual states that the pre-wash dispenser holds 10 grams and the main wash dispenser holds 30 grams. A box contains 75 ounces (2100 grams) so there's enough in one box for over 50 loads (13 cents/load).

• RNmomof2 zone 5
    4 months ago

I believe Dadoes has previously recommended one tsp in the main wash bin of a DD. A box of granular lasted us forever.

• wdccruise
    4 months ago

Gram is a measure of weight and a teaspoon is a measure of volume. Assuming that detergent had the same density as granulated sugar, one US teaspoon would fill only 1/7th of the F&P 603 main wash dispenser.

• RNmomof2 zone 5
    4 months ago
    last modified: 4 months ago

Yes, that was his point. Way too much detergent was used and it wasn't necessary, it was actually bad for your machine.

It was more that it was implied that the dispenser was being filled when that was an excessive amount. We kept a measuring spoon in a plastic container of Cascade to easily fill the dispenser.

• wdccruise
    4 months ago

My 24" Whirlpool dishwasher specifies 2 tsp for the pre-wash and 6 tsp for the main wash for "medium" hard water. Can the F&P 603 wash with 1 tsp for the main wash and none for the pre-wash? Dunno.

• Mitch G
    4 months ago
    last modified: 4 months ago

@ cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA), Wrong. Wrong and Wrong.

Phosphates were phased out from Automatic Dishwasher Detergent in June of 2010. The year was 1993, for laundry detergents. Wastewater Treatment can, and does remove phosphate. And just for your personal information, we now know that the type of Phosphate used was not as soluble as phosphorus.

You see, the phosphates used in Detergent were Complex. Complex Sodium Phosphates. They didn't break down easily into simple phosphorous, as claimed. So... the reality is, even if detergent runoff was discharged directly into rivers and lakes, it would not have the effect that was claimed.

The bans were for nothing. We also now know, that the majority of phosphorus found in rivers and lakes comes from Industrial Use, mostly from Farming. There is also general discharge from natural sources such as leaves. The third largest source is from improperly handled human waste treatment.

Honestly though. I am curious to find out, what we discover twenty years from now. I am sure we will find out once again that a lot of Scientists and Alarmists were wrong about a lot. We may even discover that the Petroleum based ingredients that supplement Phosphate and have poor biodegradability may have even harmed the environment. Who knows.

• terezosa / terriks
    4 months ago

Interesting that this 7 year old thread was revived today.

• wdccruise
    4 months ago

Detergent discussions never get old...they don't even fade away!