SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lilredjenn

Mission Impossible: Drought-tolerant, deer-resistant, in Puget Sound

lilredjenn
8 years ago

Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to list tree/shrub(s) that can meet the following qualifications.

We have a raised border area that once had green Arborvitae that were lovingly (and frequently) pruned by our local four-legged, antlered landscapers. The Puget Sound had a rather tough drought this past summer and as you can see from the photo below, (most of) the Arborvitae didn't make it. It is a shame because I believe they have been there for decades. I was holding out hope that once the rains returned (they always do in Puget Sound), the trees would return along with it. No such luck. So now we are on the hunt for a tree/shrub that can handle wet soils 7-9 months out of the year, super dry soils the remainder of the year, full sun, AND deer-resistant, but not a deer repellent. (Although I am beginning to wonder if there is such a thing; these guys aren't all that picky.)

We have about 25-30 linear feet to offer. The ground cover is currently Lithodora. We reside in USDA Zone 8b.

This message will self destruct in...

Comments (3)

Sponsored