SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
splinter1804

Why is it so?

splinter1804
8 years ago

Hi everyone.

This is the side of bromeliad growing no one wants to experience however let me tell you what happened to me.

Toward the end of November 2015 I had an open garden day for the members of our local Bromeliad Society; my garden was finally looking reasonable and the temperatures were between 17 – 20 degrees C. with nice mild sunny days, ideal for a garden visit.

Two days before the visit the weather forecaster said there was an unexpected extra hot day on the way so just to be on the safe side I rigged up some temporary shade cloth over the front garden which is otherwise unprotected.

The day before the visit it happened; the temperature jumped from below 20 degrees C. to 39-41 degrees C. accompanied by a hot dry westerly wind just as previously forecast, and it wasn't until about midnight that a cold southerly change came through and the temperature finally dropped back to the low twenties.

I was up early the next day to survey the damage and remove the shade cloth and to my surprise everything in the garden looked fine with no visible damage. The Bromeliad Society members came and spent an enjoyable 3-4 hours viewing my plants of which I was very proud and a good morning was had by all.

Unfortunately a few days later, a bit of burn damage started to appear on a few of the Neoregelias which was surprising, as they had been protected by the temporary shade cloth covering. A week later it was a much different story with lots of plants showing severe burning even including some Ae. blanchetianas, which really did surprise me as I know they grow in the open in tropical North Queensland and tolerate the northern heat OK and it puzzled me why they had burnt here in Shellharbour.

Anyway after a lot of thinking, I’ve come to the conclusion that it’s not so much the heat that does the damage but the sudden severe change in temperature and accompanying hot westerly wind which sucks the humidity out of the air, and because it’s so sudden, the plants don’t have time to adapt to the change.

It’s also interesting to see what some plants do when they are severely stressed in these situations, and the “trigger mechanism” that’s activated to reproduce themselves. e.g. I’ve had a Vriesea in that garden that rarely flowers but after that hot day it has produced six or seven flower spikes and some of the larger growing Aechmeas which I had grown from seed were also putting up flower spikes as well; again probably in an attempt to reproduce themselves just in case they died.

Mother Nature can sometimes be very cruel and cause a lot of damage, but then she also has a wonderful way of repairing it, and hopefully the burnt plants will eventually produce a pup or two to restart the growing cycle all over again.

What did puzzle me somewhat is that there is a soft leaved small border plant along the front of the garden which you can see in pictures 3, 4 and 5, and not a single leaf of that was burnt and it wasn't even beneath the protection of the shade cloth. As a well known Professor Julius Sumner Miller often asked on his TV show many years ago...........Why is it so?

I’ll finish with a few pictures, and if you look past the weeds that I haven't got around to pulling out yet, you can see the heartbreak Mother Nature caused me with the burnt Neoregelias.

This it the multi-spiked Vriesea which previously rarely ever flowered

Even the Ae. blanchetianas took a roasting

But not quite as much as this (what was once) a beautiful clump of burgundy coloured Neoregelia.

The puzzle is though, why didn't the leaves on the small green border plant get burned as well?

All the best, Nev.

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting